Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Originally Posted by archer6 The way to insure you get a great price is to ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    The way to insure you get a great price is to NOT buy one now. Let others pay the high price for an unproven model. Sit back, relax and watch as others deal with all the problems that come with the latest, lower quality, BlackBerrys. Then once RIM fixes them so you don't have to do it for them, the prices will be lower and the time and money you save will be well worth it. Now that's an exciting idea ....

~via BoldBerry 6 (wap.pinstack.com)~
    That's rather cynical if you ask me. Of course you didn't ask me, but it is rather cynical just the same. I don't understand the implication that the 8900 is a "lower quality, Blackberry."

So far, except for having a dud to begin with, it is the best constructed, most confortable device I have used. There was a battery issue with my first one. Rogers replaced it on the spot and the replacement has been awesome.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinks View Post
    That's rather cynical if you ask me. Of course you didn't ask me, but it is rather cynical just the same. I don't understand the implication that the 8900 is a "lower quality, Blackberry."

So far, except for having a dud to begin with, it is the best constructed, most confortable device I have used. There was a battery issue with my first one. Rogers replaced it on the spot and the replacement has been awesome.
    While it may be hard for some people to accept, it's simply the facts as verified by the hundreds of postings talking about problems, here on the forum. You live in RIMs home market & deal with Rogers which gets the best BlackBerrys. Therefore comparing your single user experience is irrelevant.

Last edited by archer6; 01-26-2009 at 01:02 AM.

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    While it may be hard for some people to accept, it's simply the facts as verified by the hundreds of postings talking about problems, here on the forum. You live in RIMs home market & deal with Rogers which gets the best BlackBerrys. Therefore comparing your single user experience is irrelevant.

Now now... I was being tongue in cheek..... While I agree there are a lot of postings about problems, many of which are user caused, or poorly developed apps, many are OS related.

I don't think the hardware, except in few cases is the problem.

Since the inception of home computers, digital devices, laptops etc., there have been growing pains involved in almost every device. Microsoft, Apple, RIM, what's the difference? Software will be buggy. Even in the days of my HP handhelds, palm handhelds etc., there were issues that 99% of the time were due to the operating system. In the case of the HP devices, the problems were the MICROSOFT OS's.

I haven't found a smartphone device yet that doesn't have issues. Every developer is attempting to jam more and more into the devices. As they do this they are presented with more and more issues of compatibility etc.

I agree RIM blew it bigtime with the Storm. It should NEVER have been released with the KNOWN software issues present in the first release devices. I would be, and I am sure everyone at RIM was embarrassed by the outcome of this decision. Hopefully they learned their lesson regarding allowing the consumer DEMAND to dictate when they should release a device, and will not release them until the operating system is TRULY ready for release.

The main thing RIM has to learn from all this is to TEST TEST TEST and ReTEST before releasing new devices. I highly doubt they will allow themselves to be backed into a release date corner again.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Now now... I was being tongue in cheek..... While I agree there are a lot of postings about problems, many of which are user caused, or poorly developed apps, many are OS related.

Since the inception of home computers, digital devices, laptops etc., there have been growing pains involved in almost every device. Microsoft, Apple, RIM, what's the difference? Software will be buggy. Even in the days of my HP handhelds, palm handhelds etc., there were issues that 99% of the time were due to the operating system. In the case of the HP devices, the problems were the MICROSOFT OS's.

I haven't found a smartphone device yet that doesn't have issues. Every developer is attempting to jam more and more into the devices. As they do this they are presented with more and more issues of compatibility etc.

I agree RIM blew it bigtime with the Storm. It should NEVER have been released with the KNOWN software issues present in the first release devices. I would be, and I am sure everyone at RIM was embarrassed by the outcome of this decision. Hopefully they learned their lesson regarding allowing the consumer DEMAND to dictate when they should release a device, and will not release them until the operating system is TRULY ready for release.

The main thing RIM has to learn from all this is to TEST TEST TEST and ReTEST before releasing new devices. I highly doubt they will allow themselves to be backed into a release date corner again.
    Sirthinks, Archer has a good point here you cannot argue with him.
    We live in Rogers world and Rogers BBs are always amazing. Youll see the Storm 9520 when it gets released, it will not have any of the faults the 9500 and 9530 did and still do have.
    Thats why you think your 8900 is so amazing which it is and thats why Archer is telling people in the US to wait it out because a Tmo BB might not get the royal treatment a Rogers one gets (as far as compatibility with network etc...)

Again, JUST MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION.

antoinetteL3 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I was very excited to get this phone. After reading up on some things and checking out this thread, I think I'm going to wait. I have a little while until my upgrade but I'm a lil on the fence about this device now. I'm going to see how it goes being launched in the US first and make my decision after.

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Sirthinks, Archer has a good point here you cannot argue with him.
    We live in Rogers world and Rogers BBs are always amazing. Youll see the Storm 9520 when it gets released, it will not have any of the faults the 9500 and 9530 did and still do have.
    Thats why you think your 8900 is so amazing which it is and thats why Archer is telling people in the US to wait it out because a Tmo BB might not get the royal treatment a Rogers one gets (as far as compatibility with network etc...)

Again, JUST MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION.
    Hopefully you are right. Of course, we got the 8900 first and it has been great. Had we had the Storm on first release it would have, I am sure, had the same issues it did in the U.S. and on Telus, which is also in RIM's backyard.

Could it all have something to do with the carriers pushing and pushing to have the devices released? Are they pressuring RIM into releasing on OS's that aren't ready for release, or is RIM falling into the same trap Microsoft seems unable to get out of? It seems Microsoft and even Apple, to an extent, release Operating Systems that should technically still be called betas, just to get them to the marketplace. I don't think this is a company specific problem anymore. I think it is an industry-wide practice.

Unfortunately, in the RIM world there is no ability to simply update on the fly as with Microsoft's auto-update feature.
    Last edited by Sirthinks; 01-26-2009 at 02:58 AM.

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Well I get mine in under 24 hours.. I'll definitely let you guys know how the build quality holds up.

icaro2000 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask me!
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    Well I get mine in under 24 hours.. I'll definitely let you guys know how the build quality holds up.
    Please do ssnxp! I have been pretty excited about my 8900 (and thinking that the 200 dollar after rebate price was a good one). I must admit it was quite a Buzz-Kill to read some of the posts in this thread about how the first release t-mobile units of the 8900 will most likely be of lesser quality.

I will be receiving my 8900 on the 28th, and I too will be sure to report my opinion on the build quality.

I have a feeling that most of us that ordered a pre-release 8900 for the 200 dollar (after mail-in rebate) price might have been able to save another 100 dollars if we waited until the spring time. I got my pearl 8120 shortly after its release date (about two or 3 months I think) for 89.00 after 50 dollar mail in rebate and a two or 3 year extension. If I had ordered the t-mobile titanium curve at the time it would have come to 189.00 after the 50 dollar mail-in rebate(and the curve had been out for a little longer than the pearl as well).

Am I correct in thinking that the curve normally goes for about 50 to 100 dollars more than the pearl goes for?
    Last edited by icaro2000; 01-26-2009 at 03:40 AM.

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by icaro2000 View Post
    Please do ssnxp! I have been pretty excited about my 8900 (and thinking that the 200 dollar after rebate price was a good one). After reading some of the posts in this thread about the first release t-mobile units being of lesser quality, I must admit it was quite a Buzz-Kill.
    Keep in mind that it is a first release for TMO, but it is not the first release..... The 8900 was released in Canada back in December.

A few of us had hardware issues that are common with ANY type of phone. Replacement phones proved to solve the issues. In my case, the replacement phone was from the same first batch that my first phone was from. It did not have the same issue. Just luck of the draw I guess.

Personally, I wouldn't worry that your TMO phone is going to be any different in quality than my Rogers 8900.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

@ Sirthinks, I have nothing but respect for your contributions and viewpoints.

To use the word "cynical" and apply it to one of my posts is grossly inappropriate.
    It is common knowledge that I am one of RIMs Best Advocates.

Its this very fact that causes me to be completely honest in my reporting. Without which there would be no way for RIM to hear the truth regarding user experiences.

I do believe that if my post was re-read and taken in context it will be noted that it was more generic as to the new BlackBerrys in general and RIMs current state of affairs, instead of specific to the 8900. Roll back the clock just one year and one will not find the hundreds of posts on PinStack about how to find beta software to fix your brand new BlackBerry. And that is absolute fact.

Finally if users simply accept the lower quality poorer performing devices from a company that once delivered a higher quality product, the message to RIM is "we will buy whatever you ship, no matter what the quality, or how much you charge us for it".

Archer6

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    @ Sirthinks, I have nothing but respect for your contributions and viewpoints.

To use the word "cynical" and apply it to one of my posts is grossly inappropriate.
    It is common knowledge that I am one of RIMs Best Advocates.
    As I said....... The cynical part, as evidenced by the sentence right after it, was meant to be tongue in cheek. I'm sorry you took offense. I read your entries with interest. I normally agree with you. Of course I don't always and I won't pretend to. I will not, however, seriously insult you or anyone else.

I am sorry you took my kidding seriously.

s2kneSs no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I think we all need a McDonald's Happy Meal right now. I would go for the 4pc Chicken McNuggets one, with some orange juice. (And sweet and sour sauce)

~via Blackberry~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Hopefully you are right. Of course, we got the 8900 first and it has been great. Had we had the Storm on first release it would have, I am sure, had the same issues it did in the U.S. and on Telus, which is also in RIM's backyard.

Could it all have something to do with the carriers pushing and pushing to have the devices released? Are they pressuring RIM into releasing on OS's that aren't ready for release, or is RIM falling into the same trap Microsoft seems unable to get out of? It seems Microsoft and even Apple, to an extent, release Operating Systems that should technically still be called betas, just to get them to the marketplace. I don't think this is a company specific problem anymore. I think it is an industry-wide practice.

Unfortunately, in the RIM world there is no ability to simply update on the fly as with Microsoft's auto-update feature.
    See the point is that had we have gotten the Storm first on Rogers it, IMHO, wouldnt have had ANY of those issues.
    Look at the 8900, CLEAN. Look at the 8220, CLEAN. Look at the Bold, CLEAN (well the stock problem on launch DAY put aside although retail channels were filled by the day after). and the soon to be Storm 9520 which also looks like it will have a nice launch on Rogers.
    All of those devices (well well see about the 8900) had a rocky launch in the US.

And to answer your question, in the Wireless industry, EVERYTHING is changing at the moment. Those who change survive... those who don't ... well ...

Take a look at Palm; they were about to be done with, I had personally stopped thinking about them. They out of nowhere they come out with more than the Palm Pre (which looks amazing) but WebOS. That's what the industry need at this moment, not Beta OSs like you said but Innovation (Android, WebOS etc...).
    And the reason behind the rushed launches and the constant Beta updates is to keep up with that.
    I have no reason NOT to believe that yes, carriers pressure manufacturers to push updates because they can just turn around and carry Android or WebOS nowadays.

2009 is going to be a GREAT year for the Wireless Industry... trust me on this... Ive seen things that are going to blow you out of the water

Heartbreaker182 no está en línea Stack level 2
    im a bit upset, i still havent seen any shipment on UPS about my phone =( this is not looking too good... Does anyone know y that is, i ordered it friday at 8am...

s2kneSs no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    What shipment method did you go with? Standard shipping usually takes between 3-5 or even 5-7 business days to arrive, and because you placed your order on a Friday that may be the reason behind it, more than likely it will ship later today if not tomorrow.

~via Blackberry~

Quote Originally Posted by Heartbreaker182 View Post
    im a bit upset, i still havent seen any shipment on UPS about my phone =( this is not looking too good... Does anyone know y that is, i ordered it friday at 8am...
    Last edited by s2kneSs; 01-26-2009 at 01:01 PM.