Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So, I'm a long time BB user, ordered it up yesterday and got it next ... BlackBerry Curve forum

joedali no está en línea Stack level 2

8900 First Impression: Not Too Impressed

Advertisement

So, I'm a long time BB user, ordered it up yesterday and got it next day today. Sorry but that $20 obviously helps.

Its pretty and sexy BUT I just don't like the following items and I already sort of miss my 8100 which I may just go back too, or get a Storm to try out.

Gripes so far...

---escape and apps keys you really need to press hard on them to activate. Not good. I don't like to feel that much exertion when pressing them. i don't like these keys at all guys.

---keyboard buttons are teeny tiny. I'm just getting way too many mistypes. Way way too many. And I have small girly finguhs.

---placement of USB on the edge is a joke. Why? Redesign the circuit board guys!

---headphone placement on the edge is a joke. See above.

---browser still sorta sucks. Not true web browsing at all. Slowish. Flakey. Well, it finally opens newyorkdailynews.com without crashing (8100 will die on this site, try it) but its still slow as hell.

---camera operation feels flakey, cant take pic while connected to USB, exits rather ungracefully.

I still feel like this is an antique device. Doesn't compare to an iPhone at all. Ohhhh, I'm gonna flamed hard, I know. I can't decide to make the jump to the iPhone. Everytiem I pick one up I'm so impressed I wonder what I'm doing in the BB world still. I have a brick for work BB stuff so I don't REALLY need one anymore. Hence my dilemna for the personal communciation needs and desires.

Applications are still far behind.

I dunno.

I'm not thrilled with it.

Sorry to be a Darrell Downer but its just feels too 2005, and not 2009.

Nothing groundbreaking here at all.

Sure, the screen is pretty, video plays nicely etc. But I guess I'm expecting way more. I dunno. Maybe I need to shut the hell up and act happy like the rest of you. Lol.

Its just ain't that fancy and revolutionary at all.

ice44 no está en línea Stack level 5
    You will get used to the Keyboard and keys and after some use they break in and aren't hard to push anymore. It was the same on my Bold.

Browser issues, Try setting the Emulation to IE and to Column View....that seems to help alot.
    The young man knows the rules, and the old man will enforce them!

ssnxp no está en línea Device Pro
    Revolutionary? No way. It just builds on a great platform.
    I agree with you that the charger point is in a pretty ridiculous spot. I don't think this phone was meant to be "ground breaking," just a big step up from the original Curve.

No flame fest here, the iPhone is great. If that's what suits your needs, then by all means go ahead and get it. The reason most people are happy with their 8900 is because they see the device for what it is: an upgrade to the (classic?) 83xx series.

Honestly, the iPhone is pretty awesome but I could never stick with it. I always come running back to the Blackberries, but you may be different. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
    -Tim

bajanbastard no está en línea Stack level 4
    You already found the solution get an iphone.
    Device history: 8100 > 8320 > 8900 & 9530. Keep crackin'

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Reviews by the pros overwhelmingly favored this device, and my personal opinion is that it is among the best on the market. If you'd care to sell it, please PIN me
    Last edited by Berryadict; 02-12-2009 at 02:29 PM.

lcgtr no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24ACB469
    Yeah this curve 8900 was just meant to replace the other curve 8320. It sure does an amazing job at that. Yes the buttons are a lil small, which makes me miss the suretype, but my honest opinion, I rather prefer a tactile keyboard instead of touchscreen. But if the iphone interests then go for it. I just think they made the 8900 a very reliable device(finally) with some extra features installed.
    Media POWERHOUSE- 8900 Curve
    When your surrounded by the Palm Pre, Iphone 3gs and T-mobile mytouch (G2) makes me wonder about blackberry.

BamaFan2989 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Berryadict View Post
    Reviews by the pros overwhelmingly favored this device, and my personal opinion is that it is among the best on the market. If you'd care to sell it, please PIN me

Why would you want another one? Lol.

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    The iphone is clearly a sexier device.. but talk about mistyping... never had so many mistypes as I did when on the iphone. Also not the women with nails can never use an iphone since it must be touched with the finger and they cant get to it. My wife had that problem and dumped it in favor of keeping her nails. As for email, which is the backbone of the BB world, there really is no comparison with the iphone. It simply doesnt deliver email as reliably as the bb's do... not even with the G3/MSExhange version. the screen, the apps, the looks and sex appeal all go to the iphone. Guess it just depends on personal needs and desires. Good luck from someone who has had the 8100, 8120, 8300, 8310, 8220 flip, 8800,Bold 900, 9530 Storm, and now the Curve 8900. This one seems to have it all

Female_MC no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2C570
    His screen name is Berry Addict! A name is worth a thousand words. I think the new Curves keyboars is pretty comfy verses the old one.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaFan2989 View Post
    Why would you want another one? Lol.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    It's the age-old story and it never changes (so far):
    email/typing/messaging=BB (but getting better at media)
    Brower/music/video/apps=iPhone (keyboard not getting better)
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    definitely, the Curve 8900 is NOT revolutionary but its a great EVOLUTIONARY device based on the hugely successful 83xx series.

Sharky147 no está en línea Stack level 3
    I love the 8900. Not much to say negative at this point. I am going to work on the themes and see where I am on that one. Awesome phone. One thing I do like which is minor, but how the phone is weighted. The 8320 was heavy at the top and I fumbled it while texting but this one weights it into your hand better. Just a thought. ; )

adam917 no está en línea Stack level 3

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    Revolutionary? No way. It just builds on a great platform.
    I agree with you that the charger point is in a pretty ridiculous spot. I don't think this phone was meant to be "ground breaking," just a big step up from the original Curve.

No flame fest here, the iPhone is great. If that's what suits your needs, then by all means go ahead and get it. The reason most people are happy with their 8900 is because they see the device for what it is: an upgrade to the (classic?) 83xx series.

Honestly, the iPhone is pretty awesome but I could never stick with it. I always come running back to the Blackberries, but you may be different. Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
    Yeah I think the 8900 is meant to be simply a sequel to the 83xx. I guess it makes sense given how confusing the previous product lines were when one would have GPS but no WiFi, etc. I think the Gemini 9300 will be the actual replacement to the Curve line just as the Bold was to the 8800 line (though one could say they may still need an 8800 if they work in an area where cameras aren't allowed).

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    The BB's "business features" keeps me here. Not that the BBs aren't fun, but I look at the iphones as more "enternainment oriented.". And if I didn't like BBs, I would have definitely gone the iphone route.

I didn't like the escape and menu keys as well, but I got used to it.

~via smartphone~

joedali no está en línea Stack level 2
    I guess I'm gonna try and be more patient with it.

One thing really sucks is I can't add my gf to BBM.

She sticks in constant pending more.

Seen this before, can never fix.

Any ideas?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast