seems worse than usual - during the day, I ocassionally have the BT running and ... BlackBerry Curve forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

8900 Battery Life Issues

Advertisement

seems worse than usual - during the day, I ocassionally have the BT running and make soradic calls (voice). I seem to be getting 2-3 hours unti the battery is 1/2 drained. Is there any way to better this battery life?

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Well, first thing I would do is check for any background programs running. Constant data use is one way your battery can be sapped pretty quick. Also, If you don't need the GPS on at any particular moment, you could shut that off. Same for wi-fi if you are not in the area of a router.

But, my experience with bluetooth on my 8320 was that there wasn't a huge difference in battery drain whether it was on or off. I own the 8900 now, but don't use bluetooth (only the included earbuds)
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    All of those things will definitely contribute to battery drain. If those are turned off and you're still having problems, then I would say it's more likely a problem with background apps constantly updating themselves. Out of curiosity, which OS are you running? The newer versions of 4.6 are much more battery friendly.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5
    I had the same issue. It was stuff running in the background. It happened to be the media player. Shut off your gps and wifi if you don't need it and pull the battery. Worked for me.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Usually any apps that deliver news or information, or have RSS feeds, constantly update themselves throughout the day. Most you can either set the frequency of updates or shut them off altogether. Not a big deal for me to click Update when I enter the app and have an extra 3-4 hours of battery life.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

ryfoster no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me
    Quote Originally Posted by terrapin View Post
    seems worse than usual - during the day, I ocassionally have the BT running and make soradic calls (voice). I seem to be getting 2-3 hours unti the battery is 1/2 drained. Is there any way to better this battery life?
    Keep us posted on how this works out...all the advice you got is solid advice .
    ---
    R. Foster (2 Timothy 2:15)

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    Got to be something running in the background OR your unit or battery is defective.

2-3 hours before the battery in at 1/2 is crazy. Blackberry is know for great battery life. No way it is BT as I have mine on all the time.

What have you installed on your device?
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

wnssan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2625f097

Draining the battery

Quote Originally Posted by MStrawder View Post
    Usually any apps that deliver news or information, or have RSS feeds, constantly update themselves throughout the day. Most you can either set the frequency of updates or shut them off altogether. Not a big deal for me to click Update when I enter the app and have an extra 3-4 hours of battery life.
    My Space is always running or upgrading and constantly drained my battery more than any other app.

I am still running the .114 OS for starters. I have Viigo but it is set to update manually so that's not it. I have tried 2 batteries and it still sucks. I will go through and check my apps again and see if the GPS is ON or not.

PIN/ID
    Ask
    Hmm. I might even try an upgrade to the OS just for fun. My buddy and I bought our Curves at the same time and as soon as I got home, I updated mine. He waited about a month to do it. I run a ton more apps then him and until I set him up with the OS I had, his battery went quick while mine lasted a lot longer. Grab the Roger's .250. It's stable and the battery will almost surely improve.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

thanks, I'll give it a try