Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi, This is my first post here. I just recently upgraded from a BB 8100 ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kparker8900 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!

8900 Battery Issue

Advertisement

Hi,

This is my first post here. I just recently upgraded from a BB 8100 to a BB 8900. When I first got the phone I was really happy and thought it was awesome, until the next day when I brought it to work and barely used it and the battery was down to 5% in 5 hours. Quick search on google and I discovered this is an issue with many 8900 users.

I am confirming that upgraded OS fixes the issue of the battery. I know it is probably confirmed somewhere, but I have never actually read on all the forums and posts I have read that the OS fixes the battery. I was running the rogers OS that came with the phone and using the OEM pouch. I upgraded to v4.6.1.250 which is rogers newest supported OS and still using the pouch. I now get 2 days of heavy use out of the device, ie streaming music through wifi on nobex radio companion, playing games, texting, IM, facebook. I can also get 3-4 days on light use, with wifi enabled 24/7.

I would also like to point out when I went into the Rogers store where I bought the phone, the rep that sold it to me told me to turn off my wifi because thats what was draining my battery. I didn't buy his bs and turned wifi back on when I left the store, went home and upgraded my OS. Issue now resolved and loving every minute of it.

*COLES NOTES VERSION* - upgrading the OS on the curve 8900 will resolve your battery issues!

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Thank you for the info. I'll see if I can upgrade to it. I'm now using AT&T's .231 (my carrier) official OS the one the phone came with. I wonder if it'll make a difference. I too abuse my phone ( in a good way) I use Pandora almost every minute I'm on my phone and its gps as well as the wifi connection and a whole bunch of other apps that I can list... So, Thank you for the information and I hope Rogers' OS works on my phone with no issues.
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    No problem. I am just happy to help the community.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

s4berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    I have .250 but only get maybe 12 hrs tops of battery life with heavy use.

Heavy use for me is bb browser, bolt browser, email, fb app, bb messenger, wifi on, bluetooth on.

I don't play games and don't play music.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100

LJCanedo no está en línea Stack level 1
    Kparker, i was wondering if you or anyone else had that link to roger's where i could get the .250. I have been searching their site and can't locate it for my 8900.

thank you!

cbeslash no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    26936cc9
    Link to .250 TIM Italy here.

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I will find it when I get home.
    BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    It appears that you need to be a rogers customer to download their exclusive OS package. I tried to post just the link and that didn't work. I have compressed the downloaded install package into a .zip folder, but it is 120Mb. I will try and attach it.
    Last edited by kparker8900; 08-22-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: trying to fix the link

PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    Okay so I am not very bright. I couldn't upload 120MB zip file, which I knew cuz it said 100MB max. I didn't even notice that the post above my last one gave the link to the package download. Thanks for posting the link for me cbeslash. (Y)

bsmoove201 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24AAA724
    Okay One Problem With The Update, The Menu Key. Usually When I Press It (Before The Update) It Would Cancel Out. But Now With The Update I Press The Menu Key And It Selects Whatever Is Highlighted. Is There Anyway I Could Change This Feature???

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I'm not sure, although I know you can just use the Return key to cancel it.

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by kparker8900 View Post
    It appears that you need to be a rogers customer to download their exclusive OS package. I tried to post just the link and that didn't work. I have compressed the downloaded install package into a .zip folder, but it is 120Mb. I will try and attach it.
    If you try to download straight from Rogers, this is likely, but you can visit RIM's site and choose to browse OS by carrier. This will allow you to grab the OS for just about any carrier, with a few exceptions.
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f
    Yea, I turn off my wifi when I don't use it and if your not using the app, exit it or shut it down.

juseniah no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2030C414
    I am having the same battery problems, so I upgraded my OS to the latest version (as KParker explained in the first post here). It seemed to fix the battery life problem perfectly! Then, a week later the problem has resurfaced.

Has anyone experienced this problem again after an upgraded OS?

MStrawder no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by juseniah View Post
    I am having the same battery problems, so I upgraded my OS to the latest version (as KParker explained in the first post here). It seemed to fix the battery life problem perfectly! Then, a week later the problem has resurfaced.

Has anyone experienced this problem again after an upgraded OS?
    I haven't. Have you recently added a new application to your device or perhaps changed an application such as a Twitter client or IM client that you use regularly?
    "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure" ~ Marianne Williamson
    Current OS list by device
    How to upgrade your OS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast