Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am really tempted to switch one of my lines to ATT to take advantage ... BlackBerry Curve forum

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro

8900 and the iPhone 3G

Advertisement

I am really tempted to switch one of my lines to ATT to take advantage of the $99 iPhone 3G offer. While I like the 8900 on T-Mobile now, the network has been acting up as of late and T-Mo will not charge me a dime in ETF to cancel. But I need some other opinions -

1. Is the iPhone worth the switch? I heard that with recent Apple SW updates, minus the cosmetic changes and increased RAM, that th 3G and 3Gs are essentially the same device - I also heard the ATT's network won't handle the MMS thing so the 3Gs owners are out of luck there.

2. I live in the Midwest and have become increasingly disappointed with T-Mobile's coverage - I heard ATT is much better in Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis areas...

3. I have always loved the fact that I can carry a spare BBerry battery - The iPhone's internal battery makes that impossible. How long before the battery on the iPhone needs replaced? a Year? 2? Instaed of a simple battery swap I assume I would need whole new device.

4. What, exactly, would I be losing, functionality wise if I give up the 8900 for the iPhone 3G?

5. T-Mobile's plans are relatively cheaper than their competitors in my experience. Will the addition of the "3G" really make a big difference in call quality and signal strength?

Thanks for your help in my decision...

T

visionthing no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    T-Mobile is cheaper then ATT, but what alot people don't seem to know is that ATT offers also great discount for people working in certain professional fields. For example my wife works for a hospital and she will get 25% discount.
    Eventhough the discount we are still with T-Mobile, because I prefer their technical support, as I'm always tricking out my bb and sometimes get stuck.

Also keep this idea in mind:

Alot of 8900 and curve users out there, lately got themselves an ipod touch for picture viewing, web surfing, documents, etc. And stick to the curve for searious business.

bofeity no está en línea Stack level 3
    Good question!

I actually switched from Tmobile and the 8900 to ATT and the 3GS and I am MORE than happy. The iPhone is a much better fit for me in terms of my needs and overall, I think the iPhone is still the best phone out there. I was silly to keep avoiding it for this long. It was more out of principle than anything else

And don't be fooled by heresay comparisons of the 3GS and the 3G. The 3GS has a faster processor and more ram. These alone drastically improve performance. For 299 (with a contract) you can get 32 gb of space. The 3GS also has improved battery life, while still being a battery sucker, it is supposedly more than the 3G. Go to apple's site and actually look at the feature differences. With a new contract, it's really best to get the 3GS because the difference is a small 100 bucks. I paid more for my 8900 and the iPhone blows it out of the water!

ATT is set to allow and enable MMS on their network in later summer this year. And I believe OS 3.1 will enable MMS for the 3GS.

As another poster commented, ATT has been great to me and they do offer many business discounts.

I personally love the iPhone's UI. However, if you have a touch and want to have several phones and spend that kind of money, then more power to you!

---------------

1. Is the iPhone worth the switch? I heard that with recent Apple SW updates, minus the cosmetic changes and increased RAM, that th 3G and 3Gs are essentially the same device - I also heard the ATT's network won't handle the MMS thing so the 3Gs owners are out of luck there.

- Asthetically they are the same device. 3GS: > cpu, > RAM, > storage, and other features, ie, compass, voice control, etc.
    - They are set to handle MMS in the future.

2. I live in the Midwest and have become increasingly disappointed with T-Mobile's coverage - I heard ATT is much better in Chicago, Detroit, Indianapolis areas...

- Can't comment here, I am out in Arizona.

3. I have always loved the fact that I can carry a spare BBerry battery - The iPhone's internal battery makes that impossible. How long before the battery on the iPhone needs replaced? a Year? 2? Instaed of a simple battery swap I assume I would need whole new device.

- That's true, you need to have the battery swapped out by Apple. The timeframe all depends on usage and other factors (i.e. keeping it in a warm environment = more stress on the battery, etc.). You do NOT have to get a new device, just a new battery.

4. What, exactly, would I be losing, functionality wise if I give up the 8900 for the iPhone 3G?

- Push is enable for the iPhone's with OS 3.0, but I think BB's email push is still the fastest. Otherwise, I don't see you losing much else.

5. T-Mobile's plans are relatively cheaper than their competitors in my experience. Will the addition of the "3G" really make a big difference in call quality and signal strength?

- I actually love ATT's rollover. Otherwise, I do believe prices are relatively similar. Especially if you get a business discount with ATT which makes it even more appealing.
    Last edited by bofeity; 07-20-2009 at 02:58 PM.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    1. Yes, its worth it. There weren't any cosmetic changes with the 3Gs its all internal.
    2. Carrier coverage varies from arear to area with each carrier. You can always go online and check out AT&T coverage area.
    3. There are options for the Iphone battery ie external battery/case. The "Fuel" is one and there are others. They're pricey but worth it.
    4. Functionality wise: You would be losing the ability to multi-task. Copy and paste eases this a little but isn't a complete cure.
    5. As far as 3g goes AT&T is still a "progress in work". I guess it really depends on what you are going to use 3g for. IMO its better to have than not to have.

I bricked my first iphone and now I'm using an 8900 but its going back next week because I really miss using the iphone. And there's nothing like downloading or renting movies directly to your phone. This a feature that doesn't exist on blackberry not mention apples app store is light years ahead of blackberry. A lot of folks can't live witout a querty keyboard but I could actually type faster on the iphone especially when in landscape mode. I'm going to stop rambling for now..........
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~
    Last edited by calm_tiger; 07-20-2009 at 04:31 PM.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Retired
    Those are all great questions.

If your just looking to test the water and not spend very much money the $99 phone may be a good way to do that. I don't recommend it because there are differences in the 3G and 3GS. Read my post here

You will be handicapping yourself on your first experience with an iPhone.
    Similar to buying the first Curve vs a new Curve or the original Pearl vs the newest Pearl.

Coming from a Bold I think the only thing you will be without or miss will be BBM.
    Otherwise what your going to find out is the iPhone offers seamless inauguration with everything. It was mentioned C&P closed the gap with Multitasking and it has but the 3.0 OS and Apps have also added to that. Everything is tied together.
    There are some multi tasking abilities it's missing but many Apps are tied to other Apps on the phone. Example would be reading an email that contains new email addresses, street addresses, appointment times. These can all be added to your contacts and calendar from the email. There is no need to open/close or multi task Apps.

Not real sure I explained that correctly but as Apps and the UI progress there is less of a need to truly multi task the way we are accustom to currently.
    The screen is only so large and can only have so much on the screen at one time.

3/5 of your questions are Network related so I would actually talk with a few people that use both in your area and see how they feel. Often real world experience are much different than what a map can show or a salesman will offer up.

TMO 3G is different than AT$T's 3G. the iPhone will work just fine on TMO Network but it will not have 3G. It's EDGE and WiFi only. (something to keep in mind)

I would also spend some time in the PS iPhone thread and see if that helps?
    Actually you may end up having even more questions that you need to know first before testing the water with an iPhone.

I will say this about the iPhone. Think forward not current or what use to be. That is the difference between the iPhone and many others. The UI and OS are here to stay and will offer new things that will eventually be offered by everyone else.

How many Touch screens are offered today?
    How many are trying to or opening Mobile Stores?
    How many are offering Music or plan to?

I suppose i should stop now
    Last edited by srl7741; 07-20-2009 at 07:49 PM.

JaidedFocus no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    262A279E
    The only thing that stopped me from switching from T-Mobile to AT&T is price. Otherwise I'd have done it. They have a great selection of phones BlackBerry and iphone and I believe the BBs they offer have 3G in some instances. If you don't mind waiting a few months I read on here T-Mobile is supposed to have its first 3G blackberry phone out before the year ends. Something sooner will be the relea of the iphone 3G to T-Mobile. That may work better for coverage but I'm sure AT&T still has better converage in that regards. That would be worth looking into. All the info I found I found on here or bgr so it would be worth looking into before making a choice that could affect your pockets.
    Last edited by JaidedFocus; 07-20-2009 at 06:25 PM.

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro
    thanks everyone...

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    What will you be losing?

A keyboard.

I tried the iPhone twice! Not me, never again. Just do not sell your berry as you will want to go back to it.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

bofeity no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    What will you be losing?

A keyboard.

I tried the iPhone twice! Not me, never again. Just do not sell your berry as you will want to go back to it.
    That's not what happened with me! I sold my Berry 8900 BEFORE I even left the Apple store LOL

bobhammer no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2171D09A
    just switched from an iphone 3g to a 8900 =]
    Gtalk:bobhammer
    Yahoo:bobhammer3
    Msn:bobhammer3

chokem no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    nada
    Quote Originally Posted by bobhammer View Post
    just switched from an iphone 3g to a 8900 =]
    Bob, please tell us how you like your 8900 coming from the Iphone.

bradm2 no está en línea Stack level 1

Iphone 3g vs Curve 8900

Quote Originally Posted by chokem View Post
    Bob, please tell us how you like your 8900 coming from the Iphone.
    You are going to get alot of opinions on this subject and they are going to vary by how the devices are used. I, for example, went from a curve 8330 to an Iphone 3g and just switched back to curve 8900. The Iphone is a great gadget and an good phone, but, does not lend itself to business use. E-mail and messaging are far better on the BB than the Iphone. All BB's except for the Bold use the Edge network on AT&T. The Bold is 3G. Having used both there isn't much difference in speed, maybe a couple seconds per browser page. If you are looking for a multimedia plaything then the Iphone is definitely for you. Battery life on the Iphone is horrible. I would take mine off charge right before leaving for work and it would be all but dead by the time I got home. Never got more than 12 hours out of it. My BB's hold a charge for a minimum of 24hrs and I routinely go 2 to 3 days. If you love your BB, keep it. If you are more concerned about yourube and music and movies get an Iphone. As for apps, yes the Iphone definitley has more apps and you need a dog whistle and a fart machine then you better get an Iphone. Actual useful apps are pretty much equal and I have the same types of apps on my BB that I had on my Iphone. It's going to be a personal use choice and all depends on what you want out of your phone. My Iphone is currently listed on Ebay. To each his own.

ThisFlyGuy no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by bradm2 View Post
    You are going to get alot of opinions on this subject and they are going to vary by how the devices are used. I, for example, went from a curve 8330 to an Iphone 3g and just switched back to curve 8900. The Iphone is a great gadget and an good phone, but, does not lend itself to business use. E-mail and messaging are far better on the BB than the Iphone. All BB's except for the Bold use the Edge network on AT&T. The Bold is 3G. Having used both there isn't much difference in speed, maybe a couple seconds per browser page. If you are looking for a multimedia plaything then the Iphone is definitely for you. Battery life on the Iphone is horrible. I would take mine off charge right before leaving for work and it would be all but dead by the time I got home. Never got more than 12 hours out of it. My BB's hold a charge for a minimum of 24hrs and I routinely go 2 to 3 days. If you love your BB, keep it. If you are more concerned about yourube and music and movies get an Iphone. As for apps, yes the Iphone definitley has more apps and you need a dog whistle and a fart machine then you better get an Iphone. Actual useful apps are pretty much equal and I have the same types of apps on my BB that I had on my Iphone. It's going to be a personal use choice and all depends on what you want out of your phone. My Iphone is currently listed on Ebay. To each his own.
    great review. i'm too under the same decision- getting 8900 or the Iphone.......

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

Thumbs up Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisFlyGuy View Post
    great review. i'm too under the same decision- getting 8900 or the Iphone.......
    If you get the iphone you'll probably have another 7 months to enjoy it till they release the next iphone series. I mean, following the release pattern of the iphone it's bound to be release sometime in June probably 20'something. If you get the 8900 I'd suggest you go with the 9700 instead because it already comes with the new OS installed rather than waiting for AT&T to release its official release and also the trackball issue. Good luck with your decision. The iphone has a big screen and the bells and whistles but lacks simple things like camera flash. I don't like to carry 10 different electronic devices in my pocket and like to only carry one so if it all comes in one package the better I don't wanna be carrying all those things. Hopefully, you'll make the right choice; be it android/iphone/bb/or any other device
    What's the matter? CIA's got you pushing too many pencils?

pdxmatts no está en línea Stack Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bradm2 View Post
    Should have got the 3GS. I do not consider mine as a toy. I have ALL the capabilities that you would expect in a smartphone. The speed on my iPhone is way faster than any BB I have had. Wifi is even faster. Email, IM, work as well as my 8900. No complaints from me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast