I have tried some of the other well known forums and sites, but have had ... BlackBerry Curve forum

JavaBratt no está en línea Stack Professional

Question 8530 Theme questions

Advertisement

I have tried some of the other well known forums and sites, but have had no luck finding a theme I like. In fact, I've tried several themes over the last few days and when I deleted them from my device, it caused problems.

Problem one, it completely wiped my SD card (pics, music, ringtones). When I would view my card on my device it would show nothing whatsoever, but the files were there, just marked as "hidden" (can't un-hide). I put the card into my laptop, same thing. So I ended up completely deleting and reformatting it. Now its back to normal, but I have to go back and dig up everything I once had on it. This has actually happened twice in the last few days, but seems to be fixed now.

Problem two, much like the card, my device files are also mostly marked "hidden" (can't un-hide) and when I try to save something to the device memory it denies access stating its "read only". This problem I cannot seem to fix.

First question, has anyone else experienced these issues when changing their theme? And is there a way to prevent it?

Second question, does anyone know of a site I can download free BB 8530 themes, preferably OTA?

Thanks in advance!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4
    iPad 3 - 32GB | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hey there! Welcome to PinStack!

Wow, sounds like you haven't had much luck with themes lately! It's odd that deleting a theme would cause all the issues you've described.

First, take a look at this article for information on how to unhide your files.

Second, we have tons of free themes here on PinStack! Hopefully you'll find something you like. If not, perhaps you can make a request of one of our great themers to build something specifically for you.

Thanks RogerG for the reply!!

I did check out the article you mentioned, however, I already have mass storage enabled as described and didn't see anything about unhiding the files on my device. Did I just miss that part somehow?

Also, I have checked the free themes here and didn't find what I've been looking for. I'm starting to think that maybe I'm just too picky LOL!! But I use my phone A LOT and don't have a lot of patience when it comes to a theme that doesn't quite fit my needs. But I will post a request in the event that there is a good hearted soul on here that will bear with me to make me one or help me find one. I've tried everything else at this point.

Thanks again!!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

One more thing....

I did find a theme thats close to what I've been looking for, but it is for the 8520 with OS 5.0.

Can I use it on my 8530 with OS 5.0 without compatibility issues?
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

Sorry about that. I gave you the wrong link. Take a look through this thread and see if it doesn't help you with your hidden files.

Yes, themes for the 8520 will work on the 8530 as well.

Please do post a request and we'll see if we can get one of our themers to come out of hiding to oblige you.

Thanks again for the reply RogerG!!

I visited the thread you suggested but it unfortunately didn't help me any. Here's what happened (as far as I know), if you may be able to come up with a cause and/or solution.

A few days ago I started checking out different themes and apps. Then all of a sudden I realized my personalized ringtones (stored on my SD card) weren't working. Thinking it was due to installing a new theme, I thought I would just go to the sound profiles and set them back. Tried to do that but the ringtones (along with everything else) were gone from my SD card. Went to Media Folder>Explore>Media Card and the screen was blank. So I transferred the ringtones from my PC to my device and 24-hours later (if that) they were gone again. Pulled the SD card from my device and put it in my PC only to find out all the file folders were marked as Hidden and nothing I could do (on my PC or Device) would unhide them. Frustrated I completely deleted everything from the SD card, put it back in my device and formatted it. All the folders that were once there were put back fresh. Not wanting to take a chance with having to do the ringtones again I thought I would simply store them on my device, which is when I realized I was having pretty much the same problem there too. I would go to Media Folder>Explore>Device Memory and the screen would be blank. Hover over Device Memory>Properties and the box marked Read Only is checked and cannot be unchecked. When Device Memory is open and the hidden files are show, their properties are mostly marked as hidden as well and cannot be unhid. So basically I can't save anything outside of apps to my device any longer and do not know why. As I said, anything I've done the last few days didn't involve me changing any settings myself. So this really has me quite puzzled as I'm almost positive these boxes weren't checked before and I don't want to restore from a backup because I would lose a lot of information (desktop software wasn't working and I have usage limit on internet so I couldn't download it again until just a few days ago).

So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated as I'm completely out of ideas myself.

I will post requesting for a theme and see what happens, in the meantime I'm trying to decide if I want to try the one I found. A bit leery though considering the problems I've been having.

Thanks again!
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

So this piece didn't work for you either?

You are almost there. When you have the folder list displayed on your BB and you have Shown Hidden, highlight but don't select the hidden item. Then, click the BB menu button and select Properties. On that screen will be the check box for the Hidden attribute. If you cannot unclick it, then the file is protected somehow and you do not have access to that attribute.

Nope, I wish :-(

It doesn't let me remove the check in the box.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    May I ask which OS you are using? Is it offical or leaked? What style of themes you are downloading? What style of theme you are looking for?

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Thanks for the reply PapaMag!

I am using OS 5.0.0.886 from Verizon

As far as "style of theme", I'm not really sure what you mean as I'm pretty new to trying them. But I have downloaded several ranging from basic themes similar to what my phone came with, to ones with multiple docks, scrolling docks, etc.

Here is a post I just made for a theme request so you can see what I am looking for.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info

PapaMag no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Nadda
    I was curious as to what style of theme you have been downloading to lose your SD information. My wife has a similar issue because her phone is corporate. I also wanted to see if you were running OS5 or OS6. Verizon seems to have these issues more that any carrier I'm aware of. My wife has google mail and if she loads anything but the stock Verizon theme including the zen theme provided with the device here google mail goes away along with folders and such. I don't understand the reasoning for this from Verizon it's mind boggling to me

Samsung Galaxy S4
    Asus Nexus 7
    Nook Color

Yeah I have noticed when it comes to a lot of things that Verizon seems to have the vast majority of the problems. What is even worse is their tech support is completely clueless!! I just went rounds with them a few weeks ago over using Yahoo IM (by RIM). They kept trying to argue with me that the RIM version used SMS. To say the least I ended up having to give their head of support a little RIM 101 LOL!!

As far as themes go... I have used a couple different ones and haven't had any problems until a couple days ago. I'm not sure if it was due to installing/uninstalling all the themes or the apps. I can't really be sure. But I also use gmail (google mail) and haven't had any problems. I do lose all my app folders, but the apps, emails etc are still there, they just need to be reorganized. I would have to guess your wife has the OS thats newer than mine because I had a TON of issues with it to the point that Verizon replaced my device with the one I have now because downgrading the OS didn't work for me.
    iPhone 5C | iOS 7.0.4

Theme Support Info