Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Well, it happened with the 8300 series, the 8310 series, the 8320, AND is now ... BlackBerry Curve forum

N8DBB no está en línea Stack level 8
    PIN/ID
    7BCE3C88

83 series memory leaks all around

Advertisement

Well, it happened with the 8300 series, the 8310 series, the 8320, AND is now confirmed on the 4.3 software for the 83 series.

All of the 83 devices so far have experienced memory leaks (although some greater than others) and its also happening on the 4.3 Operating Systems for these devices.

Are the beloved Curves cursed to memory leaks? Are the BlackBerry™ Gods getting back to the consumer users of the BlackBerrys this way?

One thing is for sure. RIM is aware of this. But another thing needs to be sure also...RIM needs to get to the bottom of it and figure out what is causing the leaks (sometimes up to 2MB of memory PER HOUR) or they are going to have a lot of unhappy clients returning their devices to the carriers and demanding replacements.

vinmontRD no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 83 series memory leaks all around

Odd... I check "status" on my 8300 about once a day, and I've been extremely pleased to see that the free memory does NOT go down from day to day....and that's with various apps running (or at least loaded) in the background, such as BBWeather, JiveTalk, Viigo, BBMessenger. I check specifically because I abhor memory leaks -- but I haven't seen any evidence of them on my unit (I'm using the Singapore Telecom version of the OS - latest available to the general public).

You also mention OS 4.3: you have a device with this loaded? Where are you seeing evidence of the leak? Also - if you can point us to a 4.3 download, I'm sure a few of us would volunteer some time to help "test" it out for leaks...

jsaradhi no está en línea Stack level 3

yea...i have not experienced/noticed any memory leaks in my device either...its a 8300 from at&t and am running the vodafone 4.2.2.146...and i wud like the link for 4.3 OS too

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

I noticed it bad on the 8300 before Tmo had thier service books and I was stuck to one OS. I see it a little on the 8320 - but nothing like I have on the 8300. I only have issues with memory when I try to keep too many themes on my BB.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by melissaox
    I noticed it bad on the 8300 before Tmo had thier service books and I was stuck to one OS. I see it a little on the 8320 - but nothing like I have on the 8300. I only have issues with memory when I try to keep too many themes on my BB.
    @Melissa - you still seeing a leak even with the TMo svc books and the SingTel OS? I have 18 themes loaded up, along with Viigo, BBWeather, Google Maps, SuperPages, BBMaps, Maufait, infoSpace FindIt!, Yahoo!Go, Beyond411, Boopsie, Opera Mini (and the standard BB browsers of course), and JiveTalk (always logged on). Also using the BB Dimension Today theme with an override image for the home screen. All on the SingTel OS, and still no sign of memory leaks...?

I don't use the 8300 anymore. My hubby hasnt complained of it alot, but he is also not yet on the newest OS. I belive one has come out after the Tmo Service books became available. Unlike me, he isn't interested in updatings all the time.

I only had issues with the 8320 recently. And only maybe twice.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Fiasco no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    20D434D0
    Quote Originally Posted by N8DBB
    Well, it happened with the 8300 series, the 8310 series, the 8320, AND is now confirmed on the 4.3 software for the 83 series.

All of the 83 devices so far have experienced memory leaks (although some greater than others) and its also happening on the 4.3 Operating Systems for these devices.

Are the beloved Curves cursed to memory leaks? Are the BlackBerry™ Gods getting back to the consumer users of the BlackBerrys this way?

One thing is for sure. RIM is aware of this. But another thing needs to be sure also...RIM needs to get to the bottom of it and figure out what is causing the leaks (sometimes up to 2MB of memory PER HOUR) or they are going to have a lot of unhappy clients returning their devices to the carriers and demanding replacements.
    The majority of consumers don't even know what a memory leak is, so it would hardly lead to any sort of uproar.

Sorry. I didn't notice any memory leaks in my Curve before I returned it, but then it had larger issues to sort out at that time that I was more focused on.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    i saw the memory leak as early as the first TMO pearl...on the 4.2.0.42 OS...anyone remember that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiasco
    The majority of consumers don't even know what a memory leak is, so it would hardly lead to any sort of uproar.

Sorry. I didn't notice any memory leaks in my Curve before I returned it, but then it had larger issues to sort out at that time that I was more focused on.
    what *we* call a memory leak would be called by a 'newb' bb owner as "help, my sms/email/call logs keep disappearing!!"
    Last edited by cherrichiodo; 10-08-2007 at 08:22 PM. Reason: merged posts

I had issues with it on the pearl. I remember it. That was my first experience with it.
    My Blog , My Flickr

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

What is this business of the 4.3 os? Beta testers? leaks? if your in a beta, shouldn't you be quiet about it?

Does a career have the 4.3 os out at this time? can we get some proof of it?

You're probably right about "newb bb" owners I suppose...but I've been in software (design, develop, manage, publish, etc) on a dozen different platforms for more than 20 years -- and I'm hypersensitive to memory leaks! I never noticed one with my Pearl or 8800, they were used *heavily* for corporate email (more than 1500 messages a month, including in/out bound). Only thing about them was that I wasn't running any 3rd party apps on them, and used them strictly for email and phone at the time. But they would literally run for weeks / months between reboots, and the only time I ever had messaging problems was when our BES or Exchange servers were acting up. The handheld units themselves were rock solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Krad
    What is this business of the 4.3 os? Beta testers? leaks? if your in a beta, shouldn't you be quiet about it?

Does a career have the 4.3 os out at this time? can we get some proof of it?
    Krad - the only 4.3 references I've seen so far have been:
    - BGR sharing rumors / tidbits / forecasts with us
    - FrOzEn (sorry if I got the caps wrong!) selling a Curve with some variant of 4.3 installed (must have been a test unit - maybe from a beta?)

I still don't see any downloads available...

Also: much as I want to see this, Krad is right: if someone here is part of a beta test, we can be sure that this is supposed to be confidential.

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA

yes ^^ but what OS did you have out of the box on the pearl?

once i got away from both ORIGINAL OS's (once i upgraded the OS on the Pearl and the Curve) the memory leak was gone (tho i do NOT check it on a daily basis like some ) i know that my call logs/sms are not disappearing anymore

tomdkat no está en línea Stack level 3

On my 8300 the leak was noticable but didn't bother me. My 8310 is horrible and I need to reboot it daily. My 8320 I havent had any problems at all. All of them where running the most current available os at the time

Quote Originally Posted by cherrichiodo
    yes ^^ but what OS did you have out of the box on the pearl?

once i got away from both ORIGINAL OS's (once i upgraded the OS on the Pearl and the Curve) the memory leak was gone (tho i do NOT check it on a daily basis like some ) i know that my call logs/sms are not disappearing anymore
    Dunno about version number...I wasn't a true bbhead back then like I am now. But it was the original OS that Cingy had provisioned both devices with (Pearl and 8800). Never upgraded back then...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast