Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What all can I do to increase the responsiveness of my new 8330? If it ... BlackBerry Curve forum

BBAcct no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8330m: Increase responsiveness

Advertisement

What all can I do to increase the responsiveness of my new 8330? If it helps, I have the Sprint Data Plan.

So far my plan is:

- Restore the phone to factory (I still need to find the most thorough way to do so)

- Install a faster OS, if it exists. I'm currently on v4.5.0.175 (295), Platform 3.4.0.55, by Sprint on the 8330m (MEID).

Also, I keep seeing terms such as hybrid OS and revisions such as .230. Can anyone shed some light on those and how they could affect me?

- Perform various tweaks/uninstallations recommended by other 8330 users and guides. Uninstall all unneeded software, etc. I already have added a 1 GB MicroSD card for media.

- Keep applications minimal, delete inbox often, hard reset once a day (I don't mind the wait, especially if I do it while it's idle).

- Possibly install a nicer/lighterweight theme.

Any other ideas?
    Last edited by BBAcct; 01-30-2010 at 12:28 PM.

jblackfish no está en línea PINStacked!
    Sounds like you're on the right path. I can't recommend an OS but one of the carrier-issued ones would probably be the safest. Restore to factory setting by doing a separate backup using DM in case you want to restore anything later and skip the backup incorporated in the OS install - simply install the OS and go from there.

The other ideas of keeping apps to a minimum to preserve free memory is good and, if you DO install apps, do them one at a time and observe the phones behavior for a week or so before installing another one.

Your memory card shouldn't cause you any performance problems - it's simply for storing pics, music, etc. separate from your device. Good luck.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

Thanks for the help.

I installed a shrinked copy of the 4.5/4.6/5.0 hybrid and the phone now boots using 55 out of 80 MB of memory. Does that sound pretty good?

EDIT: Made a mistake, it boots using 24.6 MB, leaving 56 MB free out of 80 MB.
    Last edited by BBAcct; 01-30-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBAcct View Post
    Thanks for the help.

I installed a shrinked copy of the 4.5/4.6/5.0 hybrid and the phone now boots using 55 out of 80 MB of memory. Does that sound pretty good?
    ...leaving you around 25mb of free memory? It sounds good from where I'm sitting. The best I can do on a clear cache/reboot is 22mb. Of course if either of us wanted to free up memory withou going to all the trouble you mentioned in you original plan, we just decided which of the apps we can do without an delete them. That's a LOT easier than starting completely over, going back to factory, etc. That's what I do all the time. Just get rid of another application or two, reboot and keep on truckin'.

My other free memory complication is memory drain. I don't know where it's coming and I'm too lazy to take the time to find out so I live with extra reboots.
    For every complex problem there is a solution, that is simple, neat, .....and wrong! (H. L. Mencken) jblackfish(at)pinstack(dot)com

cb4studabaker no está en línea Stack level 3
    One thing I did to free up more memory was delete my help in applications n tat helped out my memory quite a bit I just deleted tat one cause tat was the only one tat was safe to delete in my phone without worrying about messing it up

I made a mistake, I'm using 23.6 MB out of 80 MB, leaving 56 MB free.

So far I only have one question, when using Shrink-A-OS there's an option to use .167 transitions, to which I selected on my last install (I've done two now). What exactly does this do?
    Last edited by BBAcct; 01-30-2010 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BBAcct View Post
    I made a mistake, I'm using 23.6 MB out of 80 MB, leaving 56 MB free.............
    BB, If you have 56mb of free memory you should forget about trying to improve the performance of your 8330m IMO. Unless you have an app that's a real resource hog you're not going to improve anything. You don't have a free memory problem.

Thanks blackfish, I think you may be right. The phone seems MUCH better from when I first picked it up (using the owner's OS and apps).

I am loving this phone.

bklynberry no está en línea Stack level 1
    man this phone just got discontinued, having numerous issues with mine

Quote Originally Posted by bklynberry View Post
    man this phone just got discontinued, having numerous issues with mine
    Maybe you've got a bad device. Have you considered taking it in to your carrier for a replacement? Generally the 8330's are reliable devices, even if they aren't the latest in technology.

onetenstar no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hey hey what do you mean discontinued is that why sprint hasn't released 5.0 os for the bb 8330 I love this phone and here I am thinking just hold on just keep waiting adobe is coming cn anyone conferm this this discontinued ...ooooo I'm so mad with rim man/woman I sure hope your wrong

cb4studabaker no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wats ther issue

agomezjr no está en línea Stack level 1
    I have a bb8330 m curve.can someone tell me how I can permantly delete unnecessary files in service book .by deleting these files will it free up any memory? Please help! Thanks ! Agomezjr@comcast.net

Quote Originally Posted by agomezjr View Post
    I have a bb8330 m curve.can someone tell me how I can permantly delete unnecessary files in service book .by deleting these files will it free up any memory? Please help! Thanks ! Agomezjr@comcast.net
    Agomezjr, To free up memory I'd start by deleting applications that you don't really need and stay away from service books unless you really know what you're doing. Just my opinion. What OS are you running? Some OS's appear (to me) to be really bad about using up free memory quickly, 5.0.0.438 for example. Good luck.

agomezjr no está en línea Stack level 1
    Blackfish.
    Thanks for the fyi tip. I really appreciate your prompt response. I am running 4.5.0186.you said to start by deleting the help file in the apps folder correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast