Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So, after almost throwing my Pearl out the car window, I've decided to leave the ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ABMdesign no está en línea Stack level 2

Question 8320 vs. 8310... Why choose Wi-Fi?

Advertisement

So, after almost throwing my Pearl out the car window, I've decided to leave the shear frustration of having 2 letters on each button and almost no easy access to symbols. I am returning to the full qwerty keypad with the Curve.
    My question now is: What is the benefit of Wi-Fi besides TMO's Hot Spots (which I don't subscribe to)? TMO's EDGE network seems to be plenty fast for web surfing on the go, and I always have my laptop to use if Wi-Fi is available. I'm thinking about getting an unlocked 8310 which has built in GPS instead of Wi-Fi. I use a blue tooth GPS puck with my Pearl on a regular basis, and I think having it built into the phone would be pretty convenient. I'm just afraid there is an angle I'm not thinking of & I don't want to end up kicking myself for passing up Wi-Fi. What all do you guys use it for?

greenandgold52 no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 8320 vs. 8310... Why choose Wi-Fi?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~uma calling is the only true benfit to the 8320. $10 for unlimt calling is cool when it works. I work for tmo, I have a 8320 but would prefer the gps.

angryjohnny77 no está en línea Stack level 1

The way i see it, if you use any data services (ie viigo, web browsing, etc) on your curve, wi-fi is so much better than edge. you can always add your bluetooth gps to the 8320, but you cant add wi-fi to a gps phone.

BluesDrive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC149

I use my wifi for good service in my house. It's also good when you're using stuff like IRC, Viigo, and browsing the web at the same time in bed.

WOW, thanks for such quick responses, especially in the middle of the night (2:00AM here)!
    Good points so far, better phone quality & internet multi-tasking (which I'd still probably just use my laptop). Isn't the UMA $10.00 monthly an introductory rate? I thought it went up to $20.00 after a while.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

They're both great devices, it really depends on what you're needs are and based on your OP it sounds like the unlocked 8310 would really suit you best as you use gps a lot.

BluesDrive no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC149

that's for the hotspot for t-mobile. Basically, if you use wifi to call people, it doesn't count as your minutes. I don't have it, but I still use wifi for service at my house.

rdills no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

Wi-fi is for more than just making calls!! why do people keep saying that?? When browsing, the speed is at least 4 times faster than edge... AT LEAST! I use it to tether with my pc and its just a half step slower than my broadband speed! I use google maps for gps.
    You can't learn anything if you're talking!

rdills,
    I understand your point, and honestly if my macbook didn't have built-in Wi-Fi, the 8320 would be a no brainer. I love the features of Google maps, but the mobile version always seems to pick the worst possible route with no options to select a different one. At least it still free!

ventz no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    N/A

At a few places...the wifi uma calls is the only reason I have tmo...otherwise as much as I love them, I wouldn't have service. If you use things like viigo and im+, wifi data makes a HUGE difference in speed+time.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

vod332 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24AA5605

OK...Can I please set the record straight with TMO and UMA calling...

1) The extra cost associated with the Wifi is only if you want unlimited calling when using Wifi.
    2) Using any TMO hotspot is free with the Blackberry. It come pre-programmed with the TMO data in it and will connect to any TMO hotspot.
    3) You do not have to pay any extra for use of the Wifi.

I love the wifi...if you ever travel anywhere and don't have TMO service, just find a wireless access point and you are good to go. I was in Jamaica and instead of making International calls, I connected to the hotels free wifi in the lobby and was making local calls to New York from Jamaica! It was awesome.

hope that helps...

Blakefreak no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242A9091

Quote Originally Posted by rdills View Post
    Wi-fi is for more than just making calls!! why do people keep saying that?? When browsing, the speed is at least 4 times faster than edge... AT LEAST! I use it to tether with my pc and its just a half step slower than my broadband speed! I use google maps for gps.
    Yep that's what I thought too.
    And I was right with T-mo EDGE.
    However that difference drops to nill compared to AT&T EDGE.
    I just switched my T-Mo 8320 to AT&T and WOW what a difference in network speed.
    I can't tell you how different it feels to FINALLY have a signal number one and to have a snappy browsing experience number two.
    I don't even turn the wifi on anymore.. just kind of useless.

Mugen no está en línea Stack level 1

Wifi comes in handy if you are in Canada and you have a crappy data plan. When I'm in the office and at home, the BB receives email through Wifi therefore saving my data usage.

Macdarwin no está en línea Stack level 3

I prefer WI-Fi on my Curve especially the signal on my Apartment gives me only 1 bar to none all the time...Now that i have a wireless router, I got Full UMA Signal.

For the GPS, Garmin Nuvi is with me

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID

i would go with the GPS wifi seems pretty useless to me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast