When UMA is active on my 8320 it works fine and I can make calls. ... BlackBerry Curve forum

germy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241bb585

8320, UMA & Tmob

Advertisement

When UMA is active on my 8320 it works fine and I can make calls. Its terrific, especially since I don't get spotty service at home.

From what I know UMA is supposed to, in so little words, flawlessly transition to your mobile network when you are out of WiFi range.

Now at home I can't really test this since I don't really get my GSM service.

At my office, where I get perfect reception, when I am on a call with UMA and walk out of the WiFi range, the call drops instead of transitioning.

Is the 'flawless transition' only available with Hotspot@Home, or could it be just something quirky with my WiFi router at work?

magellan0547 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    242E7D27

Re: 8320, UMA & Tmob

most likely has to do with the fact that since your router at work most likely isn't a t-mobile router the packets get jumbled up and caught in traffic so you lose the call...i have made plenty off calls transitioning from wi-fi (t-mobile and non t-mobile) to gsm without problems and sometimes with problems...everything depends on the usage of the network...just like AT&T's slogan fewest dropped calls (which is BS!!!!) if the network is jammed full then of course your going to get dropped calls...only so much info can travel through the pipeline at any given second...hope this helps

rorycs no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    When UMA is active on my 8320 it works fine and I can make calls. Its terrific, especially since I don't get spotty service at home.

From what I know UMA is supposed to, in so little words, flawlessly transition to your mobile network when you are out of WiFi range.

Now at home I can't really test this since I don't really get my GSM service.

At my office, where I get perfect reception, when I am on a call with UMA and walk out of the WiFi range, the call drops instead of transitioning.

Is the 'flawless transition' only available with Hotspot@Home, or could it be just something quirky with my WiFi router at work?

As I have posted on several other forums, I had the same problem. After troubleshooting for 3 weeks straight with T-Mobile and RIM, it seems the answer was found when I spoke to Linksys Tech Support.

In the wireless settings of the router, make the following adjustments:

BEACON = 50

RTS THRESHOLD = 2304

CTS THRESHOLD = 2304

They also recommended that channel 3 is optimal. This is being tried by users of other forums as well and so far it seems to have solved many issues....

The 8320 is designed to work with most any router ... Good Luck!

germy no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241bb585

RORYCS, thanks for the reply.

I adjusted the settings for my WiFi router at work just now over VNC, so I'll see if that works tomorrow.

Thanks for your help!

squeakr no está en línea Stack level 4

Quote Originally Posted by magellan0547 View Post
    most likely has to do with the fact that since your router at work most likely isn't a t-mobile router the packets get jumbled up and caught in traffic so you lose the call...i have made plenty off calls transitioning from wi-fi (t-mobile and non t-mobile) to gsm without problems and sometimes with problems...everything depends on the usage of the network...just like AT&T's slogan fewest dropped calls (which is BS!!!!) if the network is jammed full then of course your going to get dropped calls...only so much info can travel through the pipeline at any given second...hope this helps

It is not a BS slogan (they have had to remove it as Verizon now has the fewest dropped calls), as if you can't initiate a call, you can not drop a call. I had AT$T with their 3G and the wife and I couldn't even get a signal, no dropped calls, but then again not initiated calls either.

On a sidenote, has anyone had the seemless transfer to a non T-Mo tower?? I am in an area where there is no T-Mo, and I haven't had a seamless hand off yet. I read that that was a touted feature, but think it is available on T-Mo only, and this goes along with what others have found.

markbb99 no está en línea Stack level 1

Quote Originally Posted by squeakr View Post
    On a sidenote, has anyone had the seemless transfer to a non T-Mo tower?? I am in an area where there is no T-Mo, and I haven't had a seamless hand off yet. I read that that was a touted feature, but think it is available on T-Mo only, and this goes along with what others have found.
    UMA does not handoff to a non-T-Mobile tower - so when you are in a roaming area the call will drop everytime.

butterfly2 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    7FFBC4F3

Ok I found something on the UMA situation it has to do with your root certificate especially if you had an old bb that you were transferring data from to your new bb such as the curve...how I found this is totally by accident...LOL but anyway go to media>pictures>my pictures>click the menu button select download images it will launch the bb internet browser when the page load scroll down to the bottom select home from there you will see Hotspot@Home(UMA) is not working on my bb curve 8320 select that option and when the new page load all info is explained there!! Follow instructions there...I have the curve 8320 with TMO...maybe there is an easier way to get to this section, but I am aware of it...If anyone is aware of a easier way feel free to add...thanks!! I was just messing around with the bb and I found this info...hope it helps someone!!
    A woman's heart should be so hidden in Christ that a man should have to seek Him first to find her.
    Maya Angelou