Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I got the 8320 from Tmobile a few days back and it looks like i ... BlackBerry Curve forum

seansublime no está en línea Stack level 1

8320 Need data Plan???

Advertisement

I got the 8320 from Tmobile a few days back and it looks like i have to get a data plan to get anything to work besides the wifi browser. I dont see myself needing data access where I don't have wifi, so an extra $20 a month doesnt make sense for me. I was hoping I could check email (gmail, yahoo, IMAP, POP, ect.) through an application instead of navigating with the browser(like outlook on a PC). Also, I haven't been able to get Opera to work. Does Opera also require a data plan, because I saw I had to change the TCP/APN to wap.voicestream.com. I installed the google mobile applications and none of them work besides seach. blackberry maps also does not work. Is there a way to get any of these things to work over wifi without having the data plan?

maytag6309 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: 8320 Need data Plan???

In order to use those services I believe data or blackberry add on is required. The tcp setting do exactly that. Allow you to make data travel to that port and APN.

maytag6309 no está en línea Stack level 2

I also discovered on my 8320 after writing my prervious response is that you can set bookmarks and internet browser to connect only to wifi. Try that.

ItsNowOrNever no está en línea Stack level 7
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Wow, what a rip off if that's the case.

yensid no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

news for you also sean, if you ordered it after sept 30, if you have a rebate coming to you, you have to have at least the 9.99 e-mail package and a plan 39.99 or more to qualify. new policy, haven't seen anything mentioned here about it

here is the relevant quote:

NEW! Mail-in rebate requirements for BlackBerry and HTC handsets (new activation and upgrades)

• Customers must either activate both a data plan ($9.99 or higher) and a voice plan ($39.99 or higher) or activate a data/minutes bundle plan ($59.99 or higher) such as BlackBerry Minutes and mail to be eligible for rebates.

seansublime no está en línea Stack level 1

I got my order in on the 30th and the rebate form doesn't have anything about a data requirement. I like the reliability and simplicity of the curve over the windows mobile devices, but unless I figure out how to make this work with wifi, I will have to send it back and get a wing or an edge. I have read some of those phone forums and seen email works just over wifi. Also a proxy hack lets the $5.99 plan give you total access. This sounds like what i will be doing even though I wanted to keep windows off my phone. Anyone know if there are applications or hacks now or to come that will let me do what I want for $5.99 or under?

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

There is no "hack" to get a data plan. It is required. I'm not sure about the Wifi part though. Pretty sure you still need one to access that also.

TMO has the cheapest data plan so really it's not a "rip off" as some people say. With any BB you need to have a data plan to access the internet. Unfortunately if you're not willing to pay for the data plan I don't think a BB is for you.

In my opinion it's well worth the 20 bucks, but that's just my opinion. Good luck

PIN/ID

i agree with you reddog, bbys are designed to work with the data plan, someone may know of a backdoor to get around it, but they seem to find and close those those, so don't count on them. and sean, if your curve was activated on or before the 30th you should be good to go with the rebate, but i'd contact your store to be sure

PIN/ID

I think it's a rip off when something has wifi and you STILL Have to pay for the data plan. As long as it has wifi, and you have wifi in your house, or at the "hot spots" you should be able to get it then. If you dont want to pay for it, then you probably got the wifi thinking you didn' thave to have a data plan. No where have I heard a sales rep saying "Yeah, you can get a bb with a wifi plan, but you still have to buy the data plan"....it's a rip off. $20 a month adds up pretty high after your 2 year contract is done.
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

inkwell no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    PM me

If you are not using the internet, get the email plan only ($9.99).

PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~think of it like a wireless router. If you hooked one up to your computer, you still couldn't use it without internet access.

PIN/ID

no, but if I buy a computer with wireless internet, I dont have to PAY for the internet----because if I go somewhere WITH wifi, I can just connect! Same as the phones should be!
    Color---it's nothing but a hue of the rainbow...why do people place such importance in it?

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by sashadelgado
    no, but if I buy a computer with wireless internet, I dont have to PAY for the internet----because if I go somewhere WITH wifi, I can just connect! Same as the phones should be!
    You do bring a very good point with that. I'm just not exactly sure how rim would be able to go about setting up that access point in order to do so. Because they don't want to give you their browser unless it is in fact being used with their BIS/BES addon packages...so low and behold..... A SUGGESTION FOR RIM maybe? I think that might be a good idea

PIN/ID

Yeah, I think it's a suggestion---I mean---laptops aren't using Dell's access point, are they? If they were, then at least RIM could figure out how to do that, you know?

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~yeah... You can use HTC's wing and mda through any wifi connection because it comes stock with the browser... I used the mda in my house without the data plan, as well as the wing, so I'd like to see it work with the BB's. I'm sure there is a way they can do it, especially if HTC can...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast