Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Originally Posted by Emmc You were able to make a UMA (wifi) call without having ... BlackBerry Curve forum

hwnstyle21 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    31C83C17

Re: 8320: My Take... Whats Yours?

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Emmc
    You were able to make a UMA (wifi) call without having hotspots@home? Interesting.
    UMA phones are able to make phone calls via wifi no matter if you do/don't have @home. The difference is w/o the @home service the minutes used over UMA are pulled from your bucket of "Plan Minutes".
    BB 8330 w/ SERO Voice Only, BIS, N/W @7pm, Pick3, Unl Text via Credits: $30 +$5 (Unl Incoming) + $7 (TEP)
    Pin: 31C83C17

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by hwnstyle21
    UMA phones are able to make phone calls via wifi no matter if you do/don't have @home. The difference is w/o the @home service the minutes used over UMA are pulled from your bucket of "Plan Minutes".
    no matter to me... i am on my company plan with their sim for 35,000 minutes. :-)

StarMile no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by hwnstyle21
    Good to know, we touched on this in another thread. I was beginning to wonder if I'd made a mistake in adding on H@H. Turns out I didn't, as the big draw for me was the "free" minutes I'd be getting during the workday. Between my business partner and I, we're using nearly 10,000 minutes a month on average, and I imagine with both of us on the H@H add on we'll be able to save a hell of a lot of money. We plan on getting our rep to figure out the number of minutes we're using during the workday, then adjusting our plan down to that level.

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

My 8320 have been good to me, except for some minor wifi/uma issues. But overall it's been fantastic.

NOID no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2423EC62

I just got my Curve set up. I love it just have to get used to the keyboard. Small keyboard big hands

j0hn00 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242066D4

this is my first blackberry. i love the size and the way it looks. it's better than what i had anticipated it to be. having said that, the keyboard is a bit smaller than what i had expected. i'm still getting used to typing on it, but i find it a bit more difficult to type on than my old cingular (htc) 8525. the only real complaint i have is that the right side shows some flex. i'm guessing that is where the dust problem lies.

abad no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30D26FDC

havnt has any problems with mine other then i can't get on AIM. the phones great thought. I really love the size, keyboard, screen size, and Wi-Fi. If it had GPS it would be perfect but we dont live in a perfect world. overall, tooo nniccce!!

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn00
    the only real complaint i have is that the right side shows some flex. i'm guessing that is where the dust problem lies.
    good eyes.
    I was like "what flex?" and as I tipped it sideways on the right side, it flexes toward the top by the volume keys. seems this is a design flaw throughout the curve series.

I just pressed in on it a bit and filled it with chapstick and then wiped off the remainder.

j0hn00 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    242066D4

chapstick... i'm not that brave.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

Quote Originally Posted by j0hn00
    chapstick... i'm not that brave.
    haha, it won't disrupt any of the components in that lil split area where air/dust is getting in. if you go on youtube you can find a video of it taken completely apart. the chapstick is just acting as a make-shift sealant since the screen gasket isn't too air tight.

jzarowitz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    NexsOne

this is a great package (curve 8320) from RIM, once again! i read in another thread that H@H was going to jump in price sometime soon as well.... works like a charm. when i cancelled my verizon land line svc today, the rep asked why, and i said because tmo had this h@h svc, and the rep didnt believe me, that i could use my cell phone like voip. haha... oh well...

oxfdblue no está en línea Stack level 1

I just came from the T-Mo store where I played with an 8320 for a while. It wasn't easy as they had so many safety things on it to prevent shoplifting, I could barely hold it properly or see the whole screen.

Anyway, it is long past time for me to replace my three year old 7100t. I was hoping that by now I'd be looking at a BB with HSPDA and 3.5g speeds. Well, who knows when that will happen. (My guess it will be about two second after I can no longer exchange the 8320 for a HSDPA phone.)

Some comments and questions before I pull the trigger on this:

1) Is EDGE all that much faster than the GPRS on my 7100t? In the store, the EDGE signal wasn't great- as the EDGE indicator showed up in lower case letters.

2) The overall feel of the 8320 seemed to be rather cheap to me. The Pearl and my ancient 7100t seem much more solid. What's the feeling here on that?

3) I see several messages about maps and GPS here. Is that feature included or is it an extra cost?

That's it for now. Thanks for any help.

yensid no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

the t-mo curve has the ability to work with a gps device,turn by turn directions, etc, but no gps installed. in order to get it to work with the maps function, you have to pair it with a separate gps device. the EDGE is noticibly faster than the gprs, i haven't had a chance to try the wi-fi on the curve yet, but you can put a 8700 or pearl, both non wi-fi, next to a dash or wing in a wi-fi hotspot, and the bbys will consistantly load their web pages more quickly. i'm not big on tech, but the way that it was expained to me, the data gets funnelled more efficiently because RIM creates both the hard and soft ware for the bbys. I'm sure that some of you Wiley Coyote "super-genius" types can explain it more exactly than i can. i will tell you that the pearl and the sidekick 3 both have EDGE, and the pearl flat out beats the pants off the SK3 in terms of speed

Encrypt no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241BC6F6

I felt compelled to chime in about the whole wifi/edge debate thing. I've read so many discussions about the wifi and how it either works well or doesn't. In my experience I've had nothing but good things to say about the wifi on my curve. It works fantastic. Everything loads instantly when on wifi. Even when not in a web browser and using programs that use data I have experienced very quick loads. Google maps works wonderfully and Jivetalk/native aim work just as fast as on a PC. I've been completely impressed by it. EDGE also has been very quick but I am always in a very good coverage area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12