Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Last night I finally received my grey 8320. I was frigging thrilled. Now like everyone ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Krad no está en línea Stack level 3

8320: My Take... Whats Yours?

Advertisement

Last night I finally received my grey 8320. I was frigging thrilled.

Now like everyone else, i watched the bgr videos of the 8320 and the wifi and I was a bit upset.

However i Have noticed two things about the 8320.

1) The actual device is twice as fast as my 8800. Opening items, browsing the menus, the phone does not lag. It also changes themes in a matter of a second. I am not sure if this is 4.2.2. os or an actual redesign with a better processor. Regardless, it is a noticable difference from the 8800 and the even slower 8100.

2) WIFI-

I am currently using a reflashed buffalo router with dd-wrt running. I am running a wpa2 personal wireless network and I got connected to it in about 2 minutes. It was a bit confusing when first putting in the settings, but i do not broadcast my network.

The internet speeds or browser are pretty much instant for every page i visit. Even the bgr and gizmodo pages are lightning fast. I was shocked, but not anymore.

I was also able to make a UMA call, mind you i do not have the h@h plan. The handoff from wifi to edge was not noticable and the call did not drop.

Case -

I was able to run over to a best buy yesterday and after arguing with them was able to get the lambskin blackberry 8300 swivel holster like the 8800 for 11.55 cents.

As for right now i am stoked. In the next few hours i will hook up my globalstat gps puck and try out amazegps on my way to work. If that functions properly I will be super happy.

Right now i can't find any faults with the 8320. I esecially like the redesigned media.

Got any questions? holla back.

krees23 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: 8320: My Take... Whats Yours?

I got mine on Monday. GPS (with external BT puck) works with Google Maps and BB mpas really well. Video and Audio plays very well and best of all my BT stereo headset finally works with the media player.

ljbyar no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Nice review Krad, thanks.

Question, where do you guys pick up your pucks?

nmadd no está en línea Stack level 3

Thanks for the take. Always interested in hearing everything I can about the 8320. Everything I read makes me want one more and more.

There's a big thread on the "feel" of the trackball. What do you think so far?

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

I have mine also and love it - the trackball does feel a tad stiff -

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Quote Originally Posted by ljbyar
    Nice review Krad, thanks.

Question, where do you guys pick up your pucks?
    I won mine for free off of blackberrycool contest it is a globalstat one.

Another huge improvement is the Blackberry Maps application. I will see if i can take some screenshots. It is unreal. I think it is one step away to actual navigation and voice.

It is much easier to see, faster, and has a cooler interface like the media player.

blackninja no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    spam=no

According to the spec sheet the processor hasn't changed, but the way this phone is responding, they could've fooled me. If it is the OS, what a huge jump from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. Seems to me when BGR wants to be right, he refuses to hear any other side. The WiFi (properly configured) has given me extremely faster speeds when downloading music/vid clips ota. For browsing pages I don't see a huge advantage over EDGE, but it is still loading a few seconds faster on larger graphic pages when i'm in IE mode.

I wish there was a way to send a broadcast out to all potential and current 8320 owners to tell them you do not need h@h to enjoy the benefits of UMA. With a skype like client you can take advantage or if your provider, like tmobile, provides UMA support, even without an unlimited plan (such as h@h) you can still use it, it will just pull from your current voice plan.

My only gripe is the lack of support in solving the bb backup/transfer issues. I've been sooooo careful about picking and choosing what to restore and what to just set up manually because of all the users who overwrote their wifi/uma settings and had to do a wipe and restore. RIM definitely needs to put out an updated desktop client that will better choose what settings supersede others so that this doesn't happen and allow us to use the device transfer wizard straight out.

All n' all, I think this will be the first device in these past 4 years that will hold me for over a year without changing handsets. There's nothing I really feel I'm missing. And the light recognition for the camera for night shots and that flash.. brilliant.

nmadd no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja
    The WiFi (properly configured) has given me extremely faster speeds when downloading music/vid clips ota. For browsing pages I don't see a huge advantage over EDGE, but it is still loading a few seconds faster on larger graphic pages when i'm in IE mode.
    This is good to know. I think "properly configured" is the key here. We've seen all the posts regarding how slow the WiFi is and how much some hate it. I imagine this is where most are going wrong; with the proper configuration.

The increased d/l speed is by far the biggest selling point for me as I will not be purchasing the H@H add-on. It's good to hear the it works properly.

I just downloaded bplay monopoly and bookworm and it downloaded instantly.

Also on buffalo flashed to dd-wrt at work location.

ocanyc no está en línea Stack level 4

Its really good to here wifi is working properly. Mine just started charging so I wont be able to set things up till later. But I quickly played with the trackball and it feels more quality than the Pearl's trackball. It feels a lil more sturdier which to me translates to more secure and better quality. Maybe thats just me, but trackball feels improved from the Pearl.

remember you can pretty much replace every piece but the mobo from cnn.cn website. for cheap

franchise101 no está en línea Stack level 2

u guys keep saying proper configuration, what does that mean? i find my network and connect to it...also, how do u know, other than with the settings which is the hifi browser and which is the regular

I am talking about strictly tweaking your wireless router. My 40 dollar buffalo router was converted into a lean mean machine. I am currently running a point to point vpn as well as vpn server on my router. I have tweaked and optimized the settings for qos.. etc..

hardware companies make "ferrari" like hardware, that run like toyotas. Toyota's aren't bad, but I think you get it.

I have not had any slow downs on my 8320, and i have made about 10 calls on it over uma.

I7oobie no está en línea Device Pro

Quote Originally Posted by blackninja
    According to the spec sheet the processor hasn't changed, but the way this phone is responding, they could've fooled me. If it is the OS, what a huge jump from 4.2.1 to 4.2.2. Seems to me when BGR wants to be right, he refuses to hear any other side. The WiFi (properly configured) has given me extremely faster speeds when downloading music/vid clips ota. For browsing pages I don't see a huge advantage over EDGE, but it is still loading a few seconds faster on larger graphic pages when i'm in IE mode.

I wish there was a way to send a broadcast out to all potential and current 8320 owners to tell them you do not need h@h to enjoy the benefits of UMA. With a skype like client you can take advantage or if your provider, like tmobile, provides UMA support, even without an unlimited plan (such as h@h) you can still use it, it will just pull from your current voice plan.

My only gripe is the lack of support in solving the bb backup/transfer issues. I've been sooooo careful about picking and choosing what to restore and what to just set up manually because of all the users who overwrote their wifi/uma settings and had to do a wipe and restore. RIM definitely needs to put out an updated desktop client that will better choose what settings supersede others so that this doesn't happen and allow us to use the device transfer wizard straight out.

All n' all, I think this will be the first device in these past 4 years that will hold me for over a year without changing handsets. There's nothing I really feel I'm missing. And the light recognition for the camera for night shots and that flash.. brilliant.

Good review. I agree that they need to have something set up, that if you transfer from a pearl, it doesn't overwrite your "Wi-fi preferred" option. I also agree that the camera flash is awesome!!
    Black G1 w/Root
    JesusFreke's Moddified RC30 v1.3
    Auto-rotate Enabled
    Auto-rotate Browser Enabled
    Manup's Blue Star 5 Theme

Emmc no está en línea Stack level 5

You were able to make a UMA (wifi) call without having hotspots@home? Interesting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast