Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All, I recently updated my T-Mobile Blackberry to 4.5.0.81. Thanks to the tips and ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dpm1057 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    24235A05

8320 - Keypad won't light up

Advertisement

Hi All,

I recently updated my T-Mobile Blackberry to 4.5.0.81. Thanks to the tips and walkthroughs posted here, it went very smoothly.

I am running into one minor glitch now, my keypad no longer lights up. I can see the screen fine, and it responds to all the keys I type. It just doesn't light up. Has anyone else encountered this? I don't think it is related to the 4.5 upgrade as it worked fine for 4 or 5 days after the upgrade before it stopped lighting up.

I have explored the options, and no matter what selections I change for the backlighing the keypad wont light up.

Any thoughts?

thanks

DPM

benritmeyer no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    You tried pulling the battery out and resetting it?

PIN/ID
    24235A05
    I have tried that, but just to be sure I just now pulled the battery again. During the start up process the keypad and trackball were illuminated, however as soon as I got to the main screen they went dark.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Well, to eliminate the OS as a possible culprit, downgrade to your original OS and see if it works then. If you still have an issue, then it's the hardware.

Either that or try a fresh install of the .81 OS.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Put your finger over the LED Indicator and see if the screen or anything Dims or changes

ZWood15 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24357A1B
    Woah, that is pretty nuts. I haven't had my keyboard lit up for weeks and I put my thumb over the LED indicator, and boom, illuminated keyboard! Thanks Jeff!! I'm assuming there is some sort of light sensor in there?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Yes there is a sensor in there. Its pretty cool actually. I think the 4.5 os is a little more sensitive to light

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffallen8 View Post
    Yes there is a sensor in there. Its pretty cool actually. I think the 4.5 os is a little more sensitive to light
    Good Call ! You are 100% correct, they tweaked the settings in 4.5 as the preset parameters of 4.2.2. were from a very low level of illumination to only 80% at full bright with the Auto Backlight set to on. Since I have two 83xx Curves I did a comparison. One running 4.5 and the other running 4.2. and the way the Auto Back Light operates in terms of range of illumination is quite different. Once I saw it for myself then I stopped thinking that it was "me" that thought there was something wrong with 4.5.

Cheers

PIN/ID
    24235A05
    Well it looks like I may have a hardware problem on this one. I did a complete wipe of the Blackberry using JL-Cmdr and a clean install (no SIM, no Micro SD car) of just the blackberry OS (4.5.0.81 T-mobile). The backlight still didn't work.

Yesterday I found out about the diagnostic tool that comes with the Blackberry (Options - Status then Type "test"). Here in my well lit office, the ambient light sensor was reading 109 with 0 being the darkest possible. I took it home, went into a room that was totally dark, and it still read 109. Yet when I got to the backlight test for the keypad, it did light up.

While I understand that something must be wrong with the light sensor, what I don't get is how when I take it out of play, the keypad still does not light up for normal use, but works fine during the diagnostic test.. Any suggestions? i have a call into Blackberry support, but I think I will get a better answer, faster, here.

Thanks

phiv5e no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217F515F
    the sensor thing doesnt work for me... My keypad lights up when it wants too...

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Covering the LED on my 8310 doesn't do anything.

fatd42 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2456382e
    i am having the same problem and i have not downloaded the new OS....anybody resolve this problem?

fatd42 no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2456382e

ghetto fab fix for dark keyboard/trackball

i got very frustrated with my phone and starting hitting it and noticed that the trackball and keypad would flash when i would hit it.....i pressed on both bottom corners of the screen and boom! lights up....soo i folded up a little piece of napkin and put it in between the crackberry and the battery and as ghetto as it sounds, i got light on my keyboard. the phone feels a little thicker lol but small price to pay for having lit up keys on the berry. hope this helps!

nimmerz no está en línea Stack level 1

Similar problem.. but completely different..

I have an 8320, updated the os, did a wipe already, without sim and memory card. and my keypad light and trackball light does not turn off even when i power down the phone the lights do not go off. I tried to cover the LED nothing, options status "test" there wasn't a backlight option for me, and the only time the lights go off is when i pull the battery.. any suggestions?

coolrat33 no está en línea Stack level 1

keypad light stopped working on 8820

Hi
    I have a very similar problem with my Blackberry 8820.
    The keypad light was working just fine until I updated my phone book contact list with the list from my other Blackberry.
    After that, the keypad would not light up again.

It lights up when I do a battery pull, and it lights up occasionally when I take the phone out of a dark pocket. But the light then fades out and does not come back on.

The keypad light also works during the OPTIONS-STATUS diagnostic test.

This is a huge mystery. Surely someone must know what is wrong and how to fix it. It seems fairly obvious that this is a software problem, not an issue with hardware.

If anyone has any solution, please post it here, or send me a private message. Thanks!

during the

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast