I am having a problem with the UMA wi-fi phone call feature. When I walk ... BlackBerry Curve forum

tacbb no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8320 + Hotspot @ Home Problems

Advertisement

I am having a problem with the UMA wi-fi phone call feature. When I walk away from the hotspot it does not convert over to the EDGE network as I had been told by the T-mobile reps. When the call drops I see the red antenna with SOS icon.

However, when I start out on a phone call on the EDGE network and come within range of the hotspot it automatically converts over to the wi-fi hotspot.

Should this be how the phone operates? Is anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks,
    tacbb

poopc4 no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: 8320 + Hotspot @ Home Problems

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    I use the samsung hotspot phone and exorience the same issue from locations with a weak cell signal. But wheb I leave my apartment I have never had a problem. I think that this is due to the cell and wifi signal overlaping suficiently Deon my apt and from work where I have the problem the cell signal is very weak till I get to the end of the street. Hope that helps.

The cell reception is at 2 bars at my house. That’s the lowest it ever gets. Although, that isn't great I would think that the hand off between UMA and EDGE would be a bit better. The dropped calls are terribly frustrating. I would rater just forgo the wi-fi and have the spotty 2 or 3 bar service instead as long as there isn't a service interruption. Thanks for your quick reply poopc4.

Any curve user’s experiences? Smooth transitions/handovers, or dropped calls?

Thanks,
    tacbb

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

i understand the frustration, it's still a very new service and they are working to perfect it but at least try and power the wifi off and re-connect. now also are you using one of t-mobile's roters or your own personal router?

Ok! Thanks johnnyxedge! I do have the T-mobile router, and resetting worked like a charm. Go figure. No problems with dropped calls. The transfer from UMA to EDGE is seamless. If others have this problem just reset and reconnect.

Thanks again for your help!

jonnyxedge no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    28A4ED28

no problem at all, i'm glad i could help

MrNeef no está en línea Stack level 2

mine has no issues with dropped calls...mine will just switch over to EDGE while im walking around the house.

I am using a DLink DIR-615 and it seems that my UMA signal is weak..I tried resetting the router but still no luck...My UMA calls last about 10 seconds then switches to EDGE while im chatting....

Any suggestions?

melissaox no está en línea Device Pro

It might be that you need a different router that will reach farther and stronger, or maybe add to the one you have.
    Success is not final, Failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that matters.
    My Blog , My Flickr