Hi there. I just got 8300 2 weekd ago and am loving it. But I ... BlackBerry Curve forum

kaopuamaohu no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    242B0832

8320 ATT anytime soon?

Advertisement

Hi there. I just got 8300 2 weekd ago and am loving it. But I was told I could exchange it with 8310 when it comes out. I was wondering if anyone knows whether ATT will carry 8320 anytime soon? If it is coming out in time I would like to exchange it with my 8300 since I'd need wi-fi more than GPS...

Thank you!
    Anuhea

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: 8320 ATT anytime soon?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Probably not. Your best bet would be to buy one from TMO and unlock it. Or try ebay saw a lot of them lately when I was looking for one.

Good luck

noodlenguyen no está en línea Stack level 2

Yea that was the main difference between tmo and att curve is the UMA and GPS respectively. If you just got the phone from ATT and it's less than 14 days, i think you can op out of your contract and sign up with tmo. Tmo is great with hotspots and hs@home.

kaopuamaohu no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    242B0832

Thanks reddog187 and noodlenguyen!

I only signed up with ATT back in May and they let me extend the contract for 8300. So I'm not sure if I can opt out of the contract completely. I do have good reasons to stay with ATT...so I guess I'll just stick with 8300 for now...unless GPS and titanium color flirts with me

mdys no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Probably not. Your best bet would be to buy one from TMO and unlock it. Or try ebay saw a lot of them lately when I was looking for one.

Good luck
    So you can utilize the wifi even if you're on AT&T? How is the service affected if you unlock with a different carrier - Has anyone tried this with the 8320? I remember that TMO customers had a lot of problems after unlocking the AT&T curve when it first came out. Is there a lot of cost involved with this? How are warranties affected?

Thanks for any input!

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Yep.... u can use the wifi on ATT for data and web browsing etc... but, no calls with wifi.uma -

Honestly... I'd recommend not unlocking an 8320 from TMo... many of us did initially and took them back... No MMS, no UMA, no HotSpot plan available and other little quirky issues.

The 8310 is sweet and the EDGE network has been almost as fast as wifi in my experience...

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

flash24 no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    3319688f

8310 just came out.. I don't see it coming to ATT anytime soon.

jkai2188 no está en línea Stack level 5

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i don't see att getting the 8320 because it already has the 8300 and now the 8310 they would just bombard their customers with options, and one of the biggest things at work(I work for tmo) is not giving the customer to many options because then they get confused.

You could tell a guy the curve has GPS and they'll think the 8300 not 8310. So they probably won't throw the 8320 in the mix too, especially since ATT has no purpose for the WiFi like TMO does

AdamJay no está en línea Stack level 1

i reckon AT&T would rather have you use their EDGE and DATA PLAN than possibly be able to (gasp) get on the internet and check email with WiFi at way less rates. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot, and i bet Apple wouldn't be happy as it would be a RIM device that even more closely competes with the iPhone... certainly they've considered that as well.

it's the unfortunate nature of the business. i really wish my 8300 had WiFi.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by mdys
    So you can utilize the wifi even if you're on AT&T? How is the service affected if you unlock with a different carrier - Has anyone tried this with the 8320? I remember that TMO customers had a lot of problems after unlocking the AT&T curve when it first came out. Is there a lot of cost involved with this? How are warranties affected?

Thanks for any input!
    I'm using a 8310 on TMO no issues other than little bumps in the road. Easily filled pot holes lets say.

Some carriers(at&t) block certain apps(BBmaps) so people will use the subscription application Telenav. It's easy to get it back. Just one of the "bumps" for example.

The only reason TMO customers were having issues is because TMO didn't have the curve at time AT&T did. So it was hard to get the correct service books for it. That was the main reason.

Cost is around 20 to 30 dollars to unlock depending on where you unlock it from.
    www.gsmphonesource.com is a reliable site and has good reviews from stackers. You will always have a one year warranty on the device from RIM. Getting it replaced will be a whole other story. Haven't ever had to so we will cross that bridge when we come to it.