We dropped one of our 8310's in some water. We let it dry out in ... BlackBerry Curve forum

danmonline no está en línea Stack level 2

Thumbs down 8310 won't boot.

Advertisement

We dropped one of our 8310's in some water. We let it dry out in a sack of rice, as suggested. It seems dry now. It's been over a week.

The unit now tries to boot (hourglass). It cannot complete the boot. No error messages. The boot just never completes. After a while it starts the boot over again.

If I press the alt or shift I see the CAPS and NUMLOCK symbols in the top right. This leads me to believe it is trying to boot but has suffered some OS damage.

I tried the battery pull, Alt+Shift+Del to see if I could coax it. No luck.

I see that a Wipe Device can be done, but I cannot get it booted enough to do that.

How can I reload the software, is there a motherboard switch or? How do they do this at the factory?

You help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Web Developer
    Windows/UNIX/Linux

cherrichiodo no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    ATA
    dan, have you attempted to plug the bb into the usb cable and load desktop manager?
    maybe it needs a fresh install of the OS?

Thumbs up Found a solution - sticky?

I was able to get the 8310 backup. It was a few steps and some gory details. I will outline them below, in hopes that some else will lose a few less strands of hair over this than I did. I really don't have any to spare anymore either.

My Notebook is Vista SP1 Business Edition, this complicates things. I will put the details for this as well. I don't think Vista is as easy to deal with as the other aspects.

We dropped the phone in a glass of water, not too smart. We looked up on the www.howtowiki.com site what was recommended, aside from graphite and the paddles at 300 joules, the consensus was use rice to soak up the water after removing the back and the battery. Put it in a bag of rice and let it sit for 3 or 4 days.

Once we assembled it again, the bootup failed with the hourglass of doom that never completes. We decided this was an OS problem not hardware.

The Blackberry site (www.blackberry.com) download page explains that you need to download the Desktop Software and the Handheld software to do an OS install. This is similar to the upgrade procedure that you may have already done in the past. You are encouraged to get the HH software from the vendors site rather than the BB site to make sure you get the right drivers and modules for your hardware. For us this was AT&T. We found a link on Pinstack that had all the URLs for this.

The Desktop Software is the tool to get the Handheld software loaded into the BB. If you have XP the procedure should be, just click on the files downloaded and let widows do the rest.

If you have Vista you have to help it out. If you try to install the Handheld software you will eventually get a registry error. Basically the installer has not been adapted by RIM to handle the enhanced security that Vista uses. Just running the install as Administrator does not work in this case. The registry keys permissions are locked.

I downloaded the special registry batch maintenance tool subinacl from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=23418. This allows you to change the permissions of Vista's registry keys to grant access to users (we want the administrator group). To use subinacl we need to make a batch file that combines the subinacl commands and the registry keys RIM uses for their PC software. There are 10 of them, the first one with the complete command is:

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DeviceManagerP roperties.PropertiesDialogs /grant=administrators=f

I have attached the complete batch command file BBHandHeld1.cmd to this post, so you don't need to figure it out for yourself. The registry keys are long and easily mistyped. Note: It is named with an extra .txt to get it past the Pinstack uploader. Just rename it deleting the .txt.

To use the cmd file there are several steps.

1. Install the SubInACL utility. It is an .msi package so you just click it. It is installed into: C:/Program Files/Windows Resource Kits/Tools.
    2. Copy the BBHandHeld1.cmd to this directory as well.
    3. Start a DOS command prompt with elevated permissions. To achieve this use the search box at the bottom of the start page, type cmd and use CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to load it. When the confirmation box comes up agree with it. You are now in DOS with elevated permissions.
    4. Change to the Tools directory:
    cd C:/Program Files/Windows Resource Kits/Tools
    5. Run the BBHandHeld1.cmd script:
    BBHandHeld1.cmd
    6. You should see several sets of progress message go by acknowledging the permission changes. Check these to make sure there are no problems. Read them carefully they are overly verbose but understandable.

Now that your Vista registry is tweaked, you can install the HandHeld OS software without any errors.

Next cable your BB to your PC with the USB cable that comes with it. Then load the BB Desktop Manager (DTM).

Next select the Application loader ICON to complete the link to the BB. If necessary (DTM complains), configure your DTM to use the USB connection.

You should see a list of the software you can load into your BB from the PC. The JVM (Java Virtual Machine - BB base software), the OS, etc. The critical components are already checked for you. Follow the Next buttons to have DTM install the OS and its components to your BB. It takes a while so be patient.

Once this is done, you should see the BB bootup similar to what you were used to. ICONs, etc.. It takes a while, mine took about 10 minutes the first time as it created all the links and directories it uses.

If you had a backup from before the bath incident, use the DTM restore to load the data back on to your BB. Fortunately we had this. A good idea is to make a backup once a month at least.

Now you should be back to close to normal. We had a couple of additional issues that you may encounter as well. Most important to us was getting the AT&T email feed going again. I found this was a bit tricky as well.

The service book plays a role here. This is the list of active services that the BB is using/needs to use. If it is not correct you will not get the services you expect - e.g. email.

We had an active email account from before but the BB OS did not pick it up automatically as we hoped. There were two steps to do. (You may not experience this?)

1. Use BB Setup to check the Email account. Ours was there but needed to be validated. This is really just reentering your password.
    2. Use the Services link on the page that comes up after the validation to request the service books be sent to you to synchronize them with the email server.

Now we were back on the air and everywhere again.

There may be other issues, if you get JVM errors. Your BB could have been damaged in some way that ours was not. I see JVM errors that results from other models of BB. There seems to be several threads to help with these.

You may have had serious water damage. Some older models are most prone to this, according to the threads I saw. The Curve seems to be very well protected.

Hope all of this information brightens someone else's day, if they decide to bath their BB. There is life after diving for your BB.

And then they all drank hot cocoa ...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by danmonline; 06-15-2008 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Post put a lot of spurious HTML tags in text?
    Web Developer
    Windows/UNIX/Linux

gkast1 no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    244F596F
    Thank you, it's nice to have this online!

Was your Vista updated to SP1? My laptop came with Vista SP1 as its installed
    OS, and I've never had Registry problems running RIM software.

Just wondering.

Lightbulb Vista Comment.

My system is Vista 32bit Business SP1. There are several other releases of Vista in 32 bit and 64 bit. I picked my release because it seemed the most like XP and the most stable. I am a developer, so I was not as much into multimedia as a lot of other Vista users. In other releases, the installation manager issues may be different. My understanding is that this is more pervasive but ...

To see if this is an issue use regedit from the start menu run link and see if you can access one of the BB DTM keys. You will get a pop-up if there is an issue when you click on it. This is the same issue that the installer will be unable to accommodate. Sometimes you can install but cannot use software when this registry key permission issue is present. Clearly because the software uses the registry to load, access files, create file, etc.

The first key to test is:

HKLM/Software/Classes/DesktopManager .....

Thanks for the feedback.
    Last edited by danmonline; 06-15-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: typos
    Web Developer
    Windows/UNIX/Linux

Lightbulb If DM won't connect with USB cable.

If your damaged system won't connect to the Desktop Manager with your USB cable, you may need to remove the battery to get a connection. The USB cable acts as a power source for the BB in this case.

The BB bios will connect without the HH OS involvement. You can then follow the steps outlined above in this thread.

Another thread reference for this is:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...uter_wont.html
    Last edited by danmonline; 06-24-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: typos
    Web Developer
    Windows/UNIX/Linux

potthoff no está en línea Stack level 3
    Wow, what a nightmare to have to go through. Hope it's up and running again!
    Lis (not dead, but Berried)
    Music is feelings unspoken.

Thanks for the support.

Yes we survived and the BB is 100% now. Good thing since it was my wife's phone.

Hope this article helps others.
    Web Developer
    Windows/UNIX/Linux