Hello. I have been trying to read the posts concering updating an 8310 with current ... BlackBerry Curve forum

txfire no está en línea Stack level 1

8310 Updates???

Advertisement

Hello. I have been trying to read the posts concering updating an 8310 with current OS and it is very mind boggling.

Checking mine, it shows I am using v 4.2.2.170....I think this is the OS which I got too under the options tab, then about and there it was.

Now....how do I update the software/OS the RIGHT way?? I have heard so many people saying that doing this has crashed their phones and etc....is there any way to update your phone but not have it all crash out?

Thanks

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5
    This is a good step by step tutorial I found on the stacks: http://forums.pinstack.com/f73/step_...s_to_bb-30128/

If your phone crashes there are ways to recover it. I have installed official OS and tons of BETA OS on my 8100 and current Bold 9000. Every time I had a problem updating which was rare there was solutions on this website to solve them.

I always want the latest OS for my BB because they seem to have the newest things to offer.

The latest official OS I could find for the 8310 is found here: http://www.berryreview.com/2010/02/2...8310-88008820/

Hope this helps
    ~Lauren

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5
    If you decide to download OS 4.5.0.187 from blackberry.com and if this OS is not provided from your specific carrier that's ok you just have to do 1 thing before opening up the desktop manager.

On your PC go to Start>Search> all files and folders> type in vendor.xml> and press search

Once your computer finds this file (Vendor.xml) , delete it. You have to do this in order for Blackberry Desktop Manager to find that new OS.
    ~Lauren

pkcable no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask via
    Should be in C:\Programfiles\commonfiles\researchinmotion\applo ader
    Rich C.
    Twitter me @ http://twitter.com/pkcable

Reinstall Your OS on a Bricked BB Click here

Thanks, I'll give this a try. That first post up there has some nice info in it.

And Praying it don't crash...but if it does, I guess the backup is what I use to restore it correct?

Also...what about this vendor.xml file I hear people talking about that I need to delete first??

Thanks again everyone!!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    The file contains specific information pertinent to the vendor from which it came. If the OS is not from your vendor, you need to delete the file.

You'll also find a tutorial to install/upgrade your OS in the link in my signature called Technical Support Blog. It's a little more up to date than the one Lauren was so kind to supply.

OK Thank Roger. And just to clarify...my carrier is AT&T but to be honest I don't trust them! They have put it to me a couple times and not been helpful! So I'll probably download it straight from BB....and that vendor file I need to go ahead and delete, correct? Sorry such a hassle...just want to make sure I do it right. Thanks again everyone.

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Yes, go ahead and delete the vendor.xml file as outlined in the instructions.

And no worries.....we're here to help!

pkcable no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask via
    It does not hurt to delete the vendor.xml file, so even if you do it when you don't need too, it won't hurt the install. HOWEVER, if you don't delete it when you need too, THAT can be a problem. I always delete it.
    Rich C.
    Twitter me @ http://twitter.com/pkcable

Reinstall Your OS on a Bricked BB Click here