Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I'd love to find a GPS app that would allow it to be used for ... BlackBerry Curve forum

LaTuFu no está en línea Stack level 9
    PIN/ID
    Just Ax

Re: 8310 Owners - How is the GPS working for you?

Advertisement

I'd love to find a GPS app that would allow it to be used for geocaching.
    If I knew where I was going, I might already be there. -- Cross Canadian Ragweed.

bbslice no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2437ACFE

I LOVE MY GPS
    I use it all the time
    and mostly just for fun i'll put in my custom fab dashmount that i made for my blackberry
    and i love it
    i'm addicted.

Collie no está en línea Stack level 2

I've been reading this thread as well as some threads in the BlackBerry GPS section, but I must admit I'm rather confused about the whole subject. I hope someone will be nice enough to explain to me (I'm a complete n00b) step by step what do I need to do to get GPS running on my 8310. Data transfer is very expensive for me (cca 1$ / 100 kb) so I should have the maps (I live in Croatia) stored on my memory card (I have a 1GB card). For the same reason, I would like to download everything to my PC and transfer it to BB through USB cable.

Like,
    1) go at and www . some website . com and download that
    2) install this on your BB like that
    3) download maps from www . some other website . com
    4) copy the maps to your memory card like this

If someone has some extra time and a will to help out, I think it would be really appreciated by everyone. That could be a sticky too.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Quote Originally Posted by Collie View Post
    I've been reading this thread as well as some threads in the BlackBerry GPS section, but I must admit I'm rather confused about the whole subject. I hope someone will be nice enough to explain to me (I'm a complete n00b) step by step what do I need to do to get GPS running on my 8310. Data transfer is very expensive for me (cca 1$ / 100 kb) so I should have the maps (I live in Croatia) stored on my memory card (I have a 1GB card). For the same reason, I would like to download everything to my PC and transfer it to BB through USB cable.

Like,
    1) go at and www . some website . com and download that
    2) install this on your BB like that
    3) download maps from www . some other website . com
    4) copy the maps to your memory card like this

If someone has some extra time and a will to help out, I think it would be really appreciated by everyone. That could be a sticky too.

Unfortunately Collie you need a data plan to use the Map function of the BB. It downloads them on the fly. The GPS portion is free but you need a data plan to use the map portion. Sorry.

Ah, OK then. I thought I read somewhere on the forum that maps can be stored in memory card, I must've got something wrong. I lived without GPS so far, I'll live without it from now on

Thanks reddog!

Reviving this thread...

As I wrote in my previous post, I can live without GPS, but I get annoyed if I have some useful option that just sits there unexploited So I dug a little bit and found a freeware called TrekBuddy. I installed it on my 8310, I created a map of Zagreb (city I live in) and stored it on my memory card - so I'm actually using my GPS for free

OK, I don't have full navigational functionality, I can't enter an address and get directions to reach it, but it shows my position on the map and it's pretty accurate. It can also track my trip and show the distance covered which will come handy when I take my 8310 jogging I still need to make some additional tweaks to be able to zoom in and out of map (need to create "atlas" of Zagreb), but that'll have to wait for better times.

Anyway, I thought someone might find this information useful.

reyes421 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2448519C
    My GPS works great. I use it all the time heading home from work to avoid traffic jams and congestion. Love it.

SanaTizer no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    249e3b2f
    Quote Originally Posted by LaTuFu View Post
    I'd love to find a GPS app that would allow it to be used for geocaching.
    LaTuFu... go here and check out GeoCache Navigator. I bought it and I like it alot for caching.

http://www.geocachenavigator.com/

Cisco Kidd no está en línea Stack level 3
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the gps works fine on att. When you look at the gps in the options it will show 0 tell it configers itself some time it takes 2-5 min but if you ues telenav bbmaps etc.... It will force the gps to read right away

prayerpilgrim no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~remember that gps works by your unit triangulating your position with towers AND sat's. The aforementioned are NOT searching for you.
    I use G-Maps religiously in state and out. It rocks for g-caching too. However, Telenav is vocal AND not good for g-caching.

Stephen on an 8310

dilipc no está en línea Stack level 3
    I recently upgraded from 8800 to the 8310. My GPS on this new device finds satellites really fast now. Don't know if it's the hardware or software in the 8310 which causes this, but now the connection is almost instantaneous. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Last edited by dilipc; 04-07-2008 at 01:34 AM.

180kid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A1B95A
    It works great! Just use BB Maps. It's free and it gets the job done.
    ~180kid

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456