Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I've tried ms live search, google maps, infospace findit, and telenav. Telenav hands down is ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ivwshane no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: 8310 Owners - How is the GPS working for you?

Advertisement

I've tried ms live search, google maps, infospace findit, and telenav. Telenav hands down is the best one of the bunch, although I did like the voice quality of findit better. The main features telenav provides over the others is: Automatic turn by turn directions (with audio if you want), meaning that it gives you the next set of directions without having to touch the phone. Auto reroute. If you go off course its smart enough to reroute you with no user intervention. Auto back light off. Conserving battery life by only turning on the back light when the next direction is given. Others would simply allow the back light to go off and you would have to manually turn it back on. Those are my top three however there are a lot more features that are nice but not necessarily a requirement, like different route options (fastest, traffic optimized, pedestrian, etc). If you are just looking for a fancy map program then any of the free ones will do (I prefer live search in that case) but if you are looking for a full on gps unit, get telenav.
    Last edited by ivwshane; 11-03-2007 at 01:38 AM. Reason: The post wont maintain its formating:|

adamjay79 no está en línea Stack level 3

IS anyone else having a problem with their phone aquiring sats? It takes mine a good 3 min when I open any GPS program. Anyone know what is going on or a fix?

dicin no está en línea Stack level 2

I have been using a BB 8310 unlocked on FIDO. I purchased the service from Wayfinder for a life time fee for all of Canada – USA and EURO maps. It is exactly like TeleNav except you pay once and not a perpetual mortgage. I have tried ALL the free GPS software however best free one is Nav4all which is free so far till 2010. I have used it in Canada, USA and Mexico and must say it works great.

They are both very stable however the free one has a few more bells and whistles.

klgmd no está en línea Stack level 3

I have Google Maps 1.64 (guess it is newer than 1.63 so should work fine..right?)

iridemybike no está en línea Stack Professional

It should, it's what I have.

Tucker

zipped no está en línea Stack level 3

Google maps works great, however it doesn't tell you turn by turn like the gps programs do.
    Google maps with Gps puts the blue dot on the map for you (representing where you are) but it is up to you to hit next to keep up with the next direction.
    Mapquest Navigator, amAzegps, Telenav, Nav4all, Telenav, and Waypoint do the turn by turn.

Out of the free progs - my vote: Mapquest

Skier87 no está en línea Stack level 3

right, the gps is not locked down in the 8310... at least for at&t

bonebox no está en línea Stack level 3

Quote Originally Posted by zipped View Post
    Google maps works great, however it doesn't tell you turn by turn like the gps programs do.
    Google maps with Gps puts the blue dot on the map for you (representing where you are) but it is up to you to hit next to keep up with the next direction.
    Mapquest Navigator, amAzegps, Telenav, Nav4all, Telenav, and Waypoint do the turn by turn.

Out of the free progs - my vote: Mapquest
    Except that Mapquest isn't free any longer. The two remaining free ones that do turn-by-turn that I'm aware of are amAze and Nav4all. I've tested both of these on my 8310 and hands down Nav4all is the better of the two. Unfortunately amAze was so slow it was unusable for me (tested on two different 8310s just to make sure), otherwise looks like it could be a good program. Nav4all doesn't have the most intuitive interface or prettiest maps, but when it comes to turn by turn and rerouting it has done the job nicely for me so far.

dfwmike no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    243dfd76

If you have an unlocked 8310 on TMO go to ota.telenav.com/att/tnn to download the software. I works great for me.

benjaminlau no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~the gps works great. You have to download the bb maps and its free. The only bad thing I find it takes a really long time to search for sattilites

Kyo0tdemon no está en línea Stack level 5

I downloaded Amaze and tested it out. I don't like that program and it's really slow. Gonna try something new...

rprewitt no está en línea Stack level 2

I perfer TeleNav, its free for 30 days then $9.99 a month thereafter.

The best features that I enjoy:

*The turn by turn directions so I never have to look at it.
    *The optional 3D 2D which looks cool when you speed up and slow down, its pretty accurate.
    *The total distance to destination as well as ETA based on traffic, distance and speed.
    *The compass feature is pretty cool, it tells you which direction you are driving and at what speed
    *The option to save locations and how it can even pull the names of the businesses that you save. Arrive somewhere that you want to keep, just click record location and presto, address, business name, etc is listed in your favorites now
    *The auto reroute feature is pretty cool. Is the jack*** in the right lane trying to keep you from getting over, making you miss your turn? Telenav will reroute you so you will find the fastest route even if you miss your turn.

Down sides?
    Only one so far.
    On long trips where you stay on an interstate or hwy for an extended length of time, the voice of telenav startled me when I got a few miles from my exit "go 2.3 miles and take slight right to exit 27B" lol

EDIT: Oh and one more feature that I like, anyone use RedBox at McD's and cant find the one movie that you want? Just type mcdonalds in the business option and it will list every mcdonalds as far away as you want to go listing the closest to the furthest. Remember that movie "White Castle"? Well with this they will list all of the white castles that are not closed so you wont end up at a boarded up location still craving what you went out for. By far one of the best features of Telenav (not sure if its included with other GPS programs)
    Last edited by rprewitt; 03-04-2008 at 04:00 PM.

jayeverette no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2437b3bd

I use telenav religiously! Today I tried nav4all for the first time, and I gotta say its pretty decent if you don't want to spend the $10 a month.
    But... For me I won't switch. Telenav's traffic updates are great. Nav4all falls short of this and other small things that I love, like the 3d follow me map and the way the audio sounds. In my opinion telenav works the best with the 8310.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

mrmoe no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask

Google Maps works great on my Curve.
    Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most.
    | The DarkSide of PinStack | FAQ | Downloads |

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask

I have to say that the $10 a month is well spent for Telenav. I was born in raised where I live and just for the traffic updates alone its worth it. There are times where it doesn't give you the best route but it gets you there right? I like especially the fact if you deviate the route they designate for you they will reroute you the next best way. I would say that its only let me down once where the road I was supposed to turn into was recently blocked off by a newly built sidewalk and the roadway blocked off. Also, the timer that is built in is really accurate to the time you arrive.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast