Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I originally bought an 8330 through Sprint about 3 1/2 weeks ago, but I am ... BlackBerry Curve forum

dllindsay no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    400B422F

8310 OS upgrade info

Advertisement

I originally bought an 8330 through Sprint about 3 1/2 weeks ago, but I am returning it due to unacceptably poor service & signal strength - sitting in my house, calling my BB from my home phone, out of 20 attempts, 6 get through on average (the rest go straight to voice mail). The 8330 had the 4.3.0.127 OS.

Today, I bought an 8310 through AT & T, and it has the 4.2.2.170 OS (platform 2.5.0.30). Although there are several features I much prefer with the 4.3.0.127 OS, so far the most annoying one is that it is does not appear possible to opt for "full menu" all of the time when pushing the trackball. On the 8320 with 4.3.0.127 the last section under options>Screen/Keyboard was for "Menu" (just below the trackball adjustments), but on this one the trackball settings are the last item listed under options>Screen/Keyboard. I tried AT & T's download page wireless.att.com/bbdownloads but it only has the same 4.2.2.170 available.

Long story short, I have seen many postings describing problems with the 4.5 version of the OS, so I want to know where can I go to obtain an upgraded version that will work with my 8310 (4.3.x.x, 4.4.x.x, or even the 4.5.x.x)?

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava
    The latest OS for all devices can be found Here

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    There is a bit later version that was posted here (4.5.0.55):

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=80830

Not sure why it's not on that list.

There is also a beta version for which we are not allowed to post links for, but can be found by googling 4.5.0.69.

dingdong901 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I updated to version 4.5.0.55 about a week ago and have had no problems so far. It was an upgrade worth having.

PIN/ID
    400B422F

8310 - still can't upgrade from v4.2.2.170

Quote Originally Posted by Lavagirl View Post
    The latest OS for all devices can be found Here
    First of all, thank you for that link, I suspect it will ultimately prove useful. However, at this point, my original problem yet remains. I upgraded my desktop manager to version 4.6.0.12 & downloaded and installed the handheld upgrade v4.5.0.055. After that, the "Device Software" tab on the "About Desktop Manager" showed two entries ((numbers before v4. added for clarity) neither of the two are the OS on my 8310):

1). v4.1.2.273 (Platform 1.5.0.38) for the BlackBerry 7520 Wireless Handheld (which was a previous BB of mine).
    2.) v4.5.0.55 (Platform 2.7.0.68) for the BlackBerry 8310 Smartphone (this is my current phone, the one I am trying to upgrade the OS on, and the OS I downloaded from vodaphone).

After v4.5.0.55 failed to work, I tried the vodaphone Ireland version (v4.5.0.37) which appears to have failed as well in the same way, with the exception that now the "Device Software" tab on the "About Desktop Manager" now shows three entries (still none of which are the OS on my 8310), with the third being:
    v4.5.0.55 (Platform 2.7.0.55) for the BlackBerry 8310 Smartphone

The following is how I got where I am now, and what has happened each of the three times I have tried. Following the instructions on the blackberry dot com (I am not allowed to post URL addresses apparantly) pdf document "Blackberry Upgrade Instructions," I upgraded first the desktop manager, and then downloaded the handheld OS v4.5.0.55 (from the vodaphone link listed for the 8310 on the page you directed me to).

After downloading the updates for the desktop manager & the updated OS for the handheld, as the pdf document "Blackberry Upgrade Instructions" instructed, I tried to install the OS to my BB using the desktop manager software.

As instructed (by the BB pdf), I first clicked the "application loader" then chose "update applications" and clicked "start". "Task in progress" box started which was first subheaded "read application configuration" before changing to "searching for available device software," finally followed by "Update Summary" listing "No software update is required for your device."

I tried clicking "Advanced" under "Device application selection" resulting in a box titled "Device application selection" showing "No software is available for your device."

I then clicked "Browse", and a box pops up titled "Open" with "file name" blank and "files of type" listing "Application Loader (*.alx, *.ali)" which shows none, so I clicked cancel.

I then clicked "main menu" which briefly first showed the main menu, but then automatically popped up a box labeled "syncronization progress" followed by a pop-up box titled "Intellisync" stating "No applications configured for syncronization" with only an "Okay" box to click.

After clicking okay, the "syncronization progress" bar went left to right before again showing the "main menu". NOTE: This automatic starting of "sycronization progress" had occurred before, as soon as I clicked "start" under "update applications" but it did not do so on subsequent attempts.

I clicked the "Application Loader" again, this time trying the "start" button on the "Add / Remove Applications" side. This started the whole "Device application selection" window process agin, which went through the "Task in progress" box (subheaded "read application configuration") again, followed by another so briefly on screen I could not read it, before finishing with "Device application selection" followed again by "No software is available for your device" then nothing except the main menu.

After trying three times, my phone still showed the v4.2.2.170 (platform 2.5.0.30) that it originally had. This has gone from mildly irritating to annoying, as I can not determine what I am doing wrong. Please advise.

Thanks for the detailed explanation, but I think the solution is actually pretty simple!

1. Delete each OS that you have downloaded on your PC, then re-download the .55 version.
    2. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader and delete a file called "vendor.xml".
    3. Connect your device to the PC.
    4. Launch Desktop Manager.

The key here is the vendor.xml file. If you're using an OS that is not from your carrier, this file needs to be removed prior to installation as it contains carrier specific information and will prohibit (as you noticed) the OS from installing.

Please post back with your results!

Roger

You might want to bookmark this link for future reference:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...read.php?t=929

PIN/ID
    400B422F
    Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post
    Thanks for the detailed explanation, but I think the solution is actually pretty simple!

1. Delete each OS that you have downloaded on your PC, then re-download the .55 version.
    2. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader and delete a file called "vendor.xml".

The key here is the vendor.xml file. If you're using an OS that is not from your carrier, this file needs to be removed prior to installation as it contains carrier specific information and will prohibit (as you noticed) the OS from installing.

Roger
    Thank you Roger. Now for a dumb question, how/where do I delete the OS's?

Sorry to take so long to respond! Figured somebody else would jump in here.

On your PC, go to the Control Pane>Add or Remove Programs. Look for anything that says BlackBerry Device Software v4.5 and delete it.

PIN/ID
    400B422F

8310 OS Upgrade - success

Quote Originally Posted by RoGro View Post

Roger
    Roger-

First of all, thank you for your help! I printed & followed the directions you posted, and, with the additional info you provided about how to delete the other OS files from the Desktop Manager on my PC, I did so. I then followed your steps, downloaded the BlackBerry Device Software v4.5 and deleted the vendor.xml files before connecting my BB & installing all. Thanks again for hooking me up.

-David

kennyc4 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Okay, maybe someone can help me with this. I did all the above and when my dm finds the upgrade i get an error that "Blackberry 4.5 Core Applications cannot be loaded because some required files are not available"??? It does not give me any options as to how to find out what those required files are. I have already reinstalled the 4.2 core applications figuring that would reinstall whatever file was missing. Still not working.

Totally out of my mind frustrated!!

Quote Originally Posted by dllindsay View Post
    Roger-

First of all, thank you for your help! I printed & followed the directions you posted, and, with the additional info you provided about how to delete the other OS files from the Desktop Manager on my PC, I did so. I then followed your steps, downloaded the BlackBerry Device Software v4.5 and deleted the vendor.xml files before connecting my BB & installing all. Thanks again for hooking me up.

-David
    Great, David! Glad it all worked out for you!

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc4 View Post
    Okay, maybe someone can help me with this. I did all the above and when my dm finds the upgrade i get an error that "Blackberry 4.5 Core Applications cannot be loaded because some required files are not available"??? It does not give me any options as to how to find out what those required files are. I have already reinstalled the 4.2 core applications figuring that would reinstall whatever file was missing. Still not working.

Totally out of my mind frustrated!!
    Kenny,

What version of DM are you running? If you click on Application Loader do you then have an option to Add/Remove Applications? You might need to delete all the OS's off your PC and start from scratch. Also, make sure you have a later version of DM, like 4.3 or 4.5.

Keep us posted!

Roger

usmcr209 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I read all the post for upgrading my 8310's OS and i keep getting the an error in the application loader screen. it says a fatal error.

kennyc4 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I am running 4.6. It finds the upgrade but just when it begins the process it comes up with the error that it is missing core files. As I said I tried reinstalling figuring it would replace whatever was missing to no avail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast