My 8310 keeps turning off. I will charge my phone until the battery shows it ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Sherobin no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2157E9CE

8310 keeps turning off

Advertisement

My 8310 keeps turning off. I will charge my phone until the battery shows it is full and then it will sit on my desk but as soon as I start using it for anything except making calls it just turns off. I have to keep pulling the battery to get it turn back on again and when it does it shows the battery indicator as either half empty or totally empty. I made sure that I had no applications running and yet it did it again as soon as I tried to load pinstack.

Today I ordered a new battery just in case it is the battery but if it is anything else could you guys with your ultimate knowledge please point me in the right direction as to how to fix this problem.

Thanks Sher
    BB Forever - One Love (Sher)

banglaberry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2569B255
    Have you upgraded it lately? Sometimes, if one upgrades the device to a higher OS version, without removing the media card, problems like yours do happen. Then, all you need is to make a backup of your card, and reformat it. The battery could also be a problem, but the way you say you have been performing battery pulls, it would drain quickly. Finally, you might have to wipe your device or perform an upgrade. Let's see what other stackers have to say.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

blkbryadict no está en línea Stack level 3
    Do you have a memory card in your phone? My fiancee had a similar issue. We pulled out here memory card and it worked ok. We copied the contents of the card to a hard drive, put the memory back in the blackberry, formatted the card using the blackberry and then restored the data to it. Everything worked ok after that.

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Well I remember that I plugged my phone into the pc and opened up the manager to check if there was any updates for my phone. I know I never turned off my phone and I know for sure that I never took out the media card when I did this. What I dont remember is if there were actually any updates downloaded to my phone as I walked away from the pc or was doing something else at the time, I just cant remember.

If I have to reformat my memory card, how do I do that? Can some kind soul please give me step by step guidance please?

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    Options, Media Card, Menu Button, Format Card
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

juscall no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    nope
    Have you checked the battery contacts. My experience was that my curve would turn off and restart randomly. I removed the battery, then cleaned and extended the actual battery contacts carefully. I have not had a turn-off/restart issue for several months now. Originally, I though it was the OS, reinstalled with no difference, then tried the battery contacts and that seemed to solve the problem

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Quote Originally Posted by juscall View Post
    Have you checked the battery contacts. My experience was that my curve would turn off and restart randomly. I removed the battery, then cleaned and extended the actual battery contacts carefully. I have not had a turn-off/restart issue for several months now. Originally, I though it was the OS, reinstalled with no difference, then tried the battery contacts and that seemed to solve the problem
    Hi thanks for your response. However, I am not experiencing a restart at all the only way for me to restart my phone is by plugging in the charger or pulling the battery. No amount of pressing the red key turns it on.

I need to know one thing as it has been a very long time. If I was to reinstall the OS, do I need to have the phone turned on when I do this and can I reinstall over the top of the software that is already there i.e. 4.5. I took out the memory card today and rebooted the phone to see if this would help but as soon as I opened a programme it turned off again.

Thanks guys for all your help so far. I am going to give this a shot tonight so a quick response would be very welcome.

Eddie_gauge no está en línea Stack level 7
    You should be able to reinstall the software from the application loader icon on the desktop manager and it will not overwrite the software you have on the phone. It will uninstall the software you have on the phone and reinstall whatever software you have downloaded to the PC for the BB. If the phone will not turn on you may be able to start the app loader without the battery and replace it when you click finish. You would follow the same steps as in this thread.

Hope it helps.

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Hi Eddie

Yes my phone does turn on I just wanted to know whether it should be on when I reinstall the software or does it need to be off as I cannot remember. I know I have to remove the memory card though.

On preferably.

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Hi I think I have gotten myself so confused. I removed all the info off my memory card and then reformatted it and that went well.

I then removed the memory card and opened up the DM and clicked on Application Loader (I had already backed up my BB). It then came up with 3 different softwares so I selected 4.5.0.81 and it went through connecting to device etc but then it was all over within 3 mins, this does not seem right to me as I still have all my icons on the desktop and my internet is working and I dont have to send service books or anything like that which is what I had to do before when I first updated my BB to the latest OS.

Can someone tell me if I have actually reinstalled the software or in fact done nothing at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Sherobin View Post
    Hi I think I have gotten myself so confused. I removed all the info off my memory card and then reformatted it and that went well.

I then removed the memory card and opened up the DM and clicked on Application Loader (I had already backed up my BB). It then came up with 3 different softwares so I selected 4.5.0.81 and it went through connecting to device etc but then it was all over within 3 mins, this does not seem right to me as I still have all my icons on the desktop and my internet is working and I dont have to send service books or anything like that which is what I had to do before when I first updated my BB to the latest OS.

Can someone tell me if I have actually reinstalled the software or in fact done nothing at all?
    No if the process was done in like 3 minutes it was not done properly. If you have Desktop Manager 4.5 and up when you get to the device application selection screen you need to select options at the bottom right corner and select to erase all currently installed applications and erase all application data. (if you have DM prior to 4.5 just select advanced instead of finish and you will have the same options to check mark) Then when you get to the end it should take about 30 minutes or so.

Hope it helps.
    Last edited by Eddie_gauge; 04-17-2009 at 10:51 AM.

PIN/ID
    2157E9CE
    Ok, it seems like what I did last night may have sorted my problem because I have not had one shut down all day and I tried to do all the same things I was doing yesterday to see if the phone would turn off. So far so good, the real test will come this evening when I head home and am making a call as it usually shuts of two or three minutes into a call. Also I put an extended battery into the phone last night. Not sure if this makes a difference (in fact I have not noticed any difference between the original battery and this extended one) to be honest!!!

Fingers crossed I dont have to go that route you suggsted above Eddie but thanks anyway. I will come back and try your way if it even shuts down once on my journey home.

rdharris55 no está en línea Stack level 1
    I had a similar problem where phone would be 70% charged and then when I started using the browser it would shut off. I had to remove the battery to get it back on. Often it would immediately shut off again and again or come on and say the battery is too low for radio use. After leaving the battery out for 10-15 minutes it might run again but would now show 30% charged. Often when talking on the phone there would be static...like bad signal. I bought a replacement battery for about $10 and all the problems went away. Try the battery first...it's cheaper than your time.

kozerapj no está en línea Stack level 1

Question 8310 keeps turning off

Just upgraded to the 8310 from the pearl, however it is a hand-me-down. My brother complained that every so often it would turn off. Once i transferred all of my pearl onto the curve everything was fine for the first day or so. About an hour ago it blanked, turned off, and wont turn back. I tried resetting it by taking out the battery: the white screen come on and goes past the ATT welcome screen boots up my home screen, then completely shuts down. It is frustrating since for the time being I have no phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? They would be much appreciated!