I just got my 8310, my first BB...converting from years of Nokias. I have to ... BlackBerry Curve forum

E3BK no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    JUST ASK

8310 GPS - Satellites can't find me

Advertisement

I just got my 8310, my first BB...converting from years of Nokias. I have to say...I really love my Crimson BB. It's so pretty AND so functional. It's taken some getting used to but I already see why it's called the "crackberry". I can't put this thing down. I've been configuring & customizing this thing since I got it and I'm almost there.

Anyway, one of last things I need is to get the GPS working. At first I thought it was my google maps not working. I fixed that and downloaded the correct version. (Note: you must download the version directly from google.com/gmm. The bundled version is incorrect.) But then I tried to find myself via the GPS module in Options>Advanced. It can't find me there either. Anyone else having this problem? Is there a setting I need to change? Brooklyn/NY should have satellites everywhere, right? Is my phone just defective?

Help from experienced BB users is appreciated.

genoist no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3179F2D7

Re: 8310 GPS - Satellites can't find me

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    How good is your view of the sky? GPS requires a relatively clear view (ie not indoors). Also the time to get a satellite lock for the first time may not be as speedy as subsequent locks will be. Just sit outside when trying to get your first sat lock, and be patient. It may take a few minutes.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Yea...it took a while maybe a couple of minutes. I just went out to my back porch searched and they came up within a few minutes.

adamjay79 no está en línea Stack level 3

My first time trying to get locked took about 10 minutes. After that, average is about 1-2.

PIN/ID
    JUST ASK

After multiple attempts, the satellites finally found me. The last try that fianlly worked took about 10 minutes. Now it kind of creeps me out. lol. Are the satellites fixed on until I turn the phone off now?

Thanks for the info! I guess I just had to be more patient.

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

sorta not really...every time you want to use GPS you have to reconnect. So it won't track you unless you tell them too. Also the satellites are just for triangelation and the only think that has your info is your GPS.

Lavagirl no está en línea PINStacked!
    PIN/ID
    AoleLava

My first attempt failed also. As red said, best bet is to go outside. That worked for me. You will need to refresh your GPS to get a current reading each time.
    See the Official Latest OS threads updated regularly for All Devices.
    Forum Rules
    PinStack Trust Guide

cbusddc no está en línea Stack level 2

The satellite doesn't track you, it just sends out data. Your GPS then receives the data from 3 or more satellites in order to get your position.

PIN/ID
    JUST ASK

Thank you for the info! The GPS works great on BB Maps. I prefer Google Maps but it takes longer. Holding down the 0 doesn't seem to work for me. I have to lock onto GPS first then open google maps.