Hi guys, a total noob when it comes to phones and upgraded to the blackberry ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Nuberry no está en línea Stack level 1

8310 crashes playing MP3's

Advertisement

Hi guys, a total noob when it comes to phones and upgraded to the blackberry 8310 because I liked the funky keyboard, although I'm becoming more of a phonehead as I figure it all out but I've had my BB about 4 days now and everything seems to be fine except it randomly crashes when using it as an MP3 player, could be 2hrs, could be 2 mins, thought it might have been a corrupted file during transfer, but doesn't do it in the same place when playing the same song again.

I'm using OS 4.2.2.181, anyone else have the same problems as me, maybe I'm just missing a setting or something, but to get the phone back into action I have to disconnect the battery any suggestions before I get O2 to replace my new toy?

Thanks
    Steeeve

BES Noob no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    just ask
    Are you using a media card to store your music or device memory?

mikemunoz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2451368F
    MEMORY.......what is your file free? When the BB's get memory starved.........they start clipping........do a battery pull and make sure you exit out of apps thru the menu and select close....

Lemme know if it still happens.

Good Luck friend!

Nuberry no está en línea Stack level 1
    Bes, I'm using my 1GB media card that came with the phone to store the music on, as far as I know I only have 4 games and a couple of apps I downloaded stored on the device memory (I presume it's the device mem). Mike, I have 49.3MB free of my media card memory, my file free is 18291336 Bytes of 58064896, so roughly 30% left. Is there any way of making sure any apps/games I download are stored on my Media card? Weird thing was, I have a rather large address book on the phone and last night I deleted about ten old numbers off of it, I played music for about 3 hrs and not a single crash..lol, very random.. so random infact, I've name my new device 'Vista'..

I'll make sure I exit out of apps using the close button, hopefully that will help, btw, does anyone know If any kind of warranty is invalidated if I upgrade my OS from 4.2.2.181 to the latest 4.5.0.44?

Many thanks for your help,
    Steve

hannatrip no está en línea Stack level 1
    Hi, I am new here and I have a question...I have a curve 8310 and I keep trying to put music on my memory card, I have a 1 gb card. when I open the desktop manager and try to move the music over it wont copy over and I only see device memory?? Help please

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hi Hanna! Welcome to PinStack!

First and foremost, do you have Mass Storage Mode enabled? Options>Media Card. Make sure everything's turned on in there.

Secondly, did you format the card in the device?

Hi! yes I just looked and everything is turned on but the enccription mode says none..and yes the card is formatted. I did copy over 3 songs when I first got it but now it wont do it at all

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Hanna,

If you have mass storage mode on you won't have to use the media manager to move music over. Have you tried to drag your music from one folder to the blackberry music file folder? Myself, I'm not a big fan of the media manager so I just link up the BB and open file folder>Blackberry>Music and you should be able to drag your songs over to that folder with ease.

PIN/ID
    just ask
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuberry View Post
    does anyone know If any kind of warranty is invalidated if I upgrade my OS from 4.2.2.181 to the latest 4.5.0.44?

Many thanks for your help,
    Steve

It sounds like you have your other issue covered. Just remember that the 8310 only has 64mb of onboard storage so you may want to take that in consideration when downloading new apps. In regards to you question about firmware upgrade if it isn't the firmware by your carrier and the phone still has a warranty and yes it does void the warranty. If you choose to do this upgrade I would recommend keeping a backup copy of the original firmware and if any issue arises that would definitely call for a replacement of the device make sure that you revert back to your original firmware if it has not been approved by your carrier.

mikemunoz no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    2451368F
    Ask your carrier. Officially a not officially released app aka beta app kills your warranty but that decision ultimately lies with the carrier/retailer.

It worked!! Thanks BES Noob!! I copied them right into the file.....I have sooo much to learn with this BB!!

PIN/ID
    just ask
    You're very welcome. If you get a chance to upgrade to the 4.5 software I would definitely take a jump at doing it because the media player is ten times better than it was on the 4.2 software. I use my 8310 when I dj as a spare mp3 player and it works great! Then add on to the fact that you can use even a bigger memory card than a 4 gb and you can't ask for anything more.

How do you upgrade?

PIN/ID
    just ask
    http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...ad.php?t=76342

There you go. Just look for the one that pertains to your model. I am currently using the .4.5.0.18 for the 8310 and it works great. There is a ton of people to support you through the install so there is nothing to worry about. If you take the dive and want some assistance feel free to send me a pm and I can walk you through it.
    Last edited by BES Noob; 07-24-2008 at 03:45 PM. Reason: because I can...

I will look into it and let you know!! Thanks