so i ordered a garmin 10x bluetooth gps package from amazon for christmas but i ... BlackBerry Curve forum

rws381 no está en línea Stack level 2

Question 8300 w/ bluetooth gps or get 8310?

Advertisement

so i ordered a garmin 10x bluetooth gps package from amazon for christmas but i am really thinking hard about returning in and just going and getting an 8310 instead. can anyone give me any input on bluetooth gps? how much better is built in? how bad is running bluetooth gps and the included garmin app going to drain my battery as compared to 8310 on google maps or something similar?

i was really pumped about the bluetooth garmin but after actually seeing the built in gps in action i really think i want that. i realize there is quite a difference in the costs but i would honestly rather spend the extra money if i am going to be that much more satisfied with the 8310. help me out!

reddog187 no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    STACK

Re: 8300 w/ bluetooth gps or get 8310?

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

This all varies from user to user. It depends on how much your going to use GPS. I've never used the bluetooth puck but I'm think that the battery drain is about the same or maybe even more with the built in.

If your going to just use it in your car then just stick with the puck. If you going to constantly use it while on the go from one place to another the you might just want the built in. It might be a pain to carrier a puck around also. I'm not sure how long it tskes to aquire satelittes with pucks but at times it takes a little while with the 8310. Over all I'm very happy with mine.

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

i prefer having the gps built in... i was in the same decision making mode you were prior to my move to the 8310, and figured... "if i truly want a convergence device, why get one that makes me have to buy yet another add-on...."

Phone-ipod-video player-web browser-gps device = 8310

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

oh geez...decisions decisions. im really stuck on what to do here. i think i agree with jscott though, the less i have to carry the better!

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by jscottbarnes View Post
    i prefer having the gps built in... i was in the same decision making mode you were prior to my move to the 8310, and figured... "if i truly want a convergence device, why get one that makes me have to buy yet another add-on...."

Phone-ipod-video player-web browser-gps device = 8310
    Ooops... forgot Picture Viewer

------------
    ~ jscott
    iPhone 3G & BOLD

Quote Originally Posted by reddog187 View Post

This all varies from user to user. It depends on how much your going to use GPS. I've never used the bluetooth puck but I'm think that the battery drain is about the same or maybe even more with the built in.

If your going to just use it in your car then just stick with the puck. If you going to constantly use it while on the go from one place to another the you might just want the built in. It might be a pain to carrier a puck around also. I'm not sure how long it tskes to aquire satelittes with pucks but at times it takes a little while with the 8310. Over all I'm very happy with mine.
    i guess i really only plan to use it for trips in the car. maybe i should just stick with the puck; that and the garmin software might be a nice combo for in the car. and the puck comes with a mini usb car charger...

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack

I had a puck for mine as the problem is kept forgetting to charge it. Getting the 8310 cause I wanted to use the GPS all the time as its so handy. Once you start using it you will find so many uses for it.

iamgoofy no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    210ca18d

i just got my new 8310 last week and love the gps!just found this one and giving it a try out now!http://www.nav4all.com/mobi/eng/inde...erry8310&wlng=

I guess my dilema comes into play because I really like how the garmin software looks with the redirecting, traffic alerts and all that. But, I also really like the idea of not carrying a puck around. At this point I'm leaning towards the garmin since its $300 cheaper and my main use for it is going to be trips in the car and I want turn by turn voice.