I'm looking to upgrade from my 8700 and can't decide which device to get. Overall, ... BlackBerry Curve forum

MisterSpots no está en línea Stack level 1

8300 v. 8800: To GPS or Not To GPS?

Advertisement

I'm looking to upgrade from my 8700 and can't decide which device to get. Overall, I am much more attracted to the 8300, but I like the built-in GPS on the 8800. Any thoughts on whether the built-in GPS is all that valuable?

Thanks in advance.

Einherjer no está en línea Stack level 5

Re: 8300 v. 8800: To GPS or Not To GPS?

I don't think the GPS is better than all the features the 8300 offers.~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

djay3000 no está en línea Stack level 2

its just a matter of chosing what works for you (what your going to use the most).

Wstsydthug no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2405C19E

I'm new to the posts but wanted to figure out GPS vs. BlackBerry Maps.

Is the only difrence real-time positoing? Doesn't BBM give you detailed (to some degree) directions on where to go? Lastly, is there a charge for using BBM? There shouldn't be one in an unlimited service agreement right (and there is no charge for GPS right)?

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

I wrote some stuff down about this in this thread:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com..._purchase.html

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You have to determine what features are important to you. GPS works really well on the 8800 in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Wstsydthug
    I'm new to the posts but wanted to figure out GPS vs. BlackBerry Maps.

Is the only difrence real-time positoing? Doesn't BBM give you detailed (to some degree) directions on where to go? Lastly, is there a charge for using BBM? There shouldn't be one in an unlimited service agreement right (and there is no charge for GPS right)?
    Your question is odd. BB Maps is a GPS app. If you have unlimited data then there's no charge for using BB Maps.

Wstsydthug no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2405C19E

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    You have to determine what features are important to you. GPS works really well on the 8800 in my experience.

Your question is odd. BB Maps is a GPS app. If you have unlimited data then there's no charge for using BB Maps.
    Through TeleNav there is a $10 fee for unlimited use. I do undertand that with BB Maps, that with an unlmited data plan, you can use it all you want. But sitll, BB Maps/Google Maps isn't a true GPS function; just a map application that offers driving directions. If this is wrong, someone please correct me.

rleist no está en línea Stack level 1

Blackberry Maps and Google Maps both support GPS now.

bpomeroy no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    24450BFA

You can add a GPS to the 8300 with a bluetooth GPS reciever, but you cant add a camera to the 8800....

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Quote Originally Posted by Wstsydthug
    Through TeleNav there is a $10 fee for unlimited use. I do undertand that with BB Maps, that with an unlmited data plan, you can use it all you want. But sitll, BB Maps/Google Maps isn't a true GPS function; just a map application that offers driving directions. If this is wrong, someone please correct me.
    There's nothing in the definition of GPS that includes "turn by turn voice directions". If you're using the Global Positioning System's satellites (as BBMaps or Google Maps does) then you're using GPS. Most of the better-featured GPS apps do offer turn-by-turn directions and some have a one-time fee, others have a subscription model, and others are free. It really depends on the app in question.

If you want a full fledged-GPS app then I suggest checking into Telenav or Mapquest Navigator. There are other options as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bpomeroy
    You can add a GPS to the 8300 with a bluetooth GPS reciever, but you cant add a camera to the 8800....
    Everyone has to determine what features matter for his/her needs. I'm personally not willing to deal with a separate GPS puck, the charging cord, batteries, etc. For other, GPS probably doesn't matter. For some, a camera's important. For others it isn't... As always, YMMV.
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-13-2007 at 09:09 PM.