Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am new to the whole BB euphoria and have bene waiting to buy one ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Wstsydthug no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2405C19E

8300 - First BB Purchase

Advertisement

I am new to the whole BB euphoria and have bene waiting to buy one for sometime now. I considered the Pearl and then anxiously waited for the 8800. Once the 8800 came out, I was sure that I was going to buy it just based on the fact that it was a nice slim full Qwerty. That is by far my number one necessity. However, after playing with the 8800, I noticed that the keys were pretty tight together and it didn't really work with me at all and thus decided to wait for the 8300. Now that the 8300 is coming out soon, I am almost positive that I will buy this unit.

But now that there is no GPS or WiFi, is it still a good purchase? I think I can live without the GPS (do you have to pay more per month for this service) but I'm not sure about the WiFi? I'm going to be a heavy user on this and will be using it for work. Anyone have any suggestions to what they think is an absolute necessity?

andrewthomas no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2521F913

Re: 8300 - First BB Purchase

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i had a 8800 for 5 days before selling it on as I just could not get used to the keyboard. I like the look of the 8300 however I will wait for a 8300 layout keyboard device with wifi as this will allow me so much scope to manage our internal systems, all of which are browser based.

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

First of all, initial reports and reviews of the 8300 generally say the it may be one of the best, if not the best, BB ever made. Size, screen, qwerty and multimedia features that are hard to beat. There will always be another "better" BB in the works or about to be released, but this one looks to be a champ. Even if you wanted something else with more features in 6 mos, there's eBay. Used Pearls are STILL getting decent resale value.

GPS - No GPS on the initial release of the 8300, but it may be added in a future release (8320/30?). YOU have to decide if you need this feature. Do you travel a lot for business or pleasure? Do you need directions around where you live/work?

I found with my 8100 and Google Maps, I could extract an amazing amount of information without GPS.
    • GM will give you step by step directions between any 2 locations and highlight the route on the map
    • GM will bookmark your favorite locations (home, work, etc.)
    • GM will find all the Starbucks (or whatever) in the area you request
    • GM will animate the map panning between the different locations of the Starbucks in that area (cool)
    • GM will show you the satellite imagery of the local neighborhood around that Starbucks... to see if it's the one next to the park you want to go to (amazing and scary)
    • If you live in a major metropolitan area, GM will show you the local traffic on all of the highways. Avoid the accidents and stoppages and plan your route... that is very big!
    WiFi - Again a personal decision, and for some users that have easy access to WiFi in their home or business, this is very important.
    • WiFi is noticeably faster than the standard Edge connection
    • If you have a limited data plan, you don't burn your data download limits using WiFi
    • If you have WiFi at home, you can hook-up with a faster connection
    • Students that have campus WiFi, can save on their data plan
    • Business users in buildings that don't have good cell coverage, can use WiFi in their buildings to get a connection
    • Rural users without good cell coverage, can also hook-up at home or work using WiFi
    • If you already pay TMO for Hotspot usage, you might as well take advantage of the WiFi at that Starbucks you're going to. (You can get it free at Panera Bread!)
    Once you dive into the BB pool and get your phone, there's no going back. It is awesome having email and web access wherever you go. Good luck...
    Last edited by 2-4Trippin; 05-03-2007 at 02:43 PM.

tgowin no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32CF0B8B

The 8300 is smaller than the 8800, why would you wait for a smaller if you don't like the feel of the 8800. You may want to go to an older wider version with a full qwerty keyboard. Good Luck

PIN/ID
    2405C19E

Quote Originally Posted by tgowin
    The 8300 is smaller than the 8800, why would you wait for a smaller if you don't like the feel of the 8800. You may want to go to an older wider version with a full qwerty keyboard. Good Luck
    Sorry, I should have said that I felt that the 8800's QWERTY was a little too squished together. I did like the suretype (71xx and 8100) but I think that I am too use to a full keyboard to switch. Also, I played around a lot with the 8700 and love that form factor.

myBBest2003 no está en línea Stack level 2

Quote Originally Posted by tgowin
    Yes, the Curve is smaller, but the 8800/8100 key structure is compacted to where they are all touching the other keys. On the 8300 the keys are independently placed. To many, the typing should be more accurate and comfortable when they are separated. I tried typing on both the 8100 and 8800 and I agree they are too closely placed together. I press one key and the keys around the one I press move. I didn't like that feeling. Coming from the 7100 series. Those keys are separated too, so I'm looking forward to the Curve key placement also.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Wstsydthug
    Now that the 8300 is coming out soon, I am almost positive that I will buy this unit.
    But now that there is no GPS or WiFi, is it still a good purchase?
    I'm going to be a heavy user on this and will be using it for work.
    Anyone have any suggestions to what they think is an absolute necessity?
    I think you've done an outstanding job of evaluating the prior BlackBerrys and waiting for the 8300 Curve. I have followed the development of this model daily, and based on what I've seen today on the Curve website, I'm a buyer for one myself.

This is a great model, perhaps one of the very best ever, which insures that your experience is going to really impress you. I tried every other smart phone like Treos, Moto-Q & Blackjack prior to purchasing my first BlackBerry nearly a year ago now, and I'm so impressed with the BlackBerry platform and the different choices of models. I have all the new ones, and find then very nice with each having it's own character. Based on personal preference my favorite is the 7130c as I love how fast and intuitive the SureType input system is. I can type about 2x faster than what I was used to which was qwerty. As as a big qwerty fan I never thought I would say that.

After very closely scrutinizing the latest pictures of the 8300 / Curve, I like everything about it and it has what promises to be one of the best keys and keyboards yet. Everything about this model indicates it's a home run.

Cheers...

BoogieNYC no está en línea Stack level 2

Agreed. I don't mind the physical size of the 8703e nor its weight; I tried the 8800 via Cingular but it just didn't do it for me. I really loved the pearl/trackball and now that I'm using the 8703e, it's what I miss the most. The other stuff -- GPS, multimedia support, the Micro SD support -- are nice, but the day-to-day use really suffers with the wheel.

The keyboards on the two devices are both full qwerty models, but the 87xx (and the to-be-released 83xx) keyboard is a lot easier to use.

Personally, I was willing to wait for VZW's 88xx release, but as soon as I saw the first pics of the 83xx, I decided that was the one I wanted. Only problem for me is wondering if I'll be willing to wait; at this point, if I can willingly pass on the VZW 88xx, I can hold out until September or October for their 83xx. Guess we'll see -- but either way, I def. agree that the 83xx looks like the ideal combination of just about everything. And when/if they upgrade to WiFi and/or GPS, a great phone will be perfect.

-B-

Solidus no está en línea Stack level 1

It's unfortunate that the 8300 doesn't have GPS (highly useful) or WiFi (situationally useful since TMO hasn't started with 3G and Edge is weak), but since it's a blackberry, it's automatically better than the WM smartphones that are out there. Does anyone know if they upped the screen quality on the 8300, such as 640x480 vs the 320 resolutions? Video on anything less than VGA is rubbish.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    And 640x480 would require a much larger screen or much higher resolution. Larger size is self defeating in an keyboard equipt cell phone and higher resolution in DPI would not be any better for video display. I doubt if you really could tell that much difference in watching a video on a screen the size of the Curve.

Rcbjr

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus
    It's unfortunate that the 8300 doesn't have GPS (highly useful) or WiFi (situationally useful since TMO hasn't started with 3G and Edge is weak), but since it's a blackberry, it's automatically better than the WM smartphones that are out there. Does anyone know if they upped the screen quality on the 8300, such as 640x480 vs the 320 resolutions? Video on anything less than VGA is rubbish.
    I don't see it as unfortunate at all, and I'm a big fan of WiFi as I use it everywhere, everyday. I'm willing to wait. The reality is, every device is a package of compromises. There are so many issues to be dealt with when designing a smart phone that there will never be a "perfect" one. Especially given the extreme pace of development and emerging technologies. The politics and dynamics of the various carriers, etc.

The good news when buying any model of BlackBerry is that one is buying into a proven platform where reliability is at the top of the priority list. This is precisely why they have such a stellar reputation and own the corporate business sector.

So what it comes down to is a process of evolution in which RIM is amongst the best at balancing all the demands placed on them by the carriers, the corp large scale enterprises, and now the public as they roll out consumer focused models. Not an easy challenge to meet in this time of incredible competition.

I'm looking forward to purchasing an 8300 / Curve and choose to focus on what's good about it, and maximise it to meet my needs and the needs of my company.

Cheers....

PIN/ID
    2405C19E

I am playing with the GPS on the 8800 now and in fact there is a $10 charge per month for unlimited use. I can go with out this as I dont need the GPS for anything anyway but if it were free, I'd use it. I know its only $10 but if I wasn't going to use it that much in the first place, it doesn't even matter.

As for the WiFi, I'm still up in the air.

Solidus no está en línea Stack level 1

Resolution is indeed what I was referring to. (Note you're talking to someone that's owned an HTC Universal and sold it for poor performance reasons). I do have to respect the "don't knock it til you try it" approach, but the problem is, trying a phone is usually very costly (if you purchase them without a contract on eBay to upgrade your phone). I'm sure the 8300 is a step up from the 8700, my gripe is that, is it really worth the price? Sure, when the price of it reaches ~$200 (on eBay), it'll be well worth it. The resolution gripe is that I'm used to the Axim x50v screen where movies play at PSP quality. If the quality is the same (color and resolution wise) with the 8300, it'll be a good buy as a Media-playing phone (which is clearly what it's marketing as, considering the [annoying] iPod-like advertisement on their new site).

You have to pay for the 8800 GPS service? I thought it'd be a REAL (not cell tower based) GPS module within the unit that can connect to BBMaps.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

But now that there is no GPS or WiFi, is it still a good purchase?
    That's totally a judgment call that you have to make based on your needs and wants. I want the 8300 because of the camera but I also want GPS...

Quote Originally Posted by myBBest2003
    On the 8300 the keys are independently placed. To many, the typing should be more accurate and comfortable when they are separated.
    I'm curious to see some real world reviews of typing on the 8300. The party line and speculation is that it will be better because of the spacing but from a practical standpoint you never really know until you have it in your hands and try it for yourself. Hopefully lots of people won't be disappointed with the hype that they're generating over the 8300's keyboard (like we've seen in recent history with other features/models).

I am playing with the GPS on the 8800 now and in fact there is a $10 charge per month for unlimited use.
    Cost depends on the GPS app/service that you're using. Telenav is $10/month for unlimited routes (there's an option to pay less for a fixed number) and there are other GPS apps out there with completely different pricing structures or at no cost.
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-04-2007 at 01:43 PM.

ItsaRaid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    217B8701

Rim has absolutely lost sight of the Real World, they are "Control Freaks" The End User is who made Rim what they are today- The 8800 should be available to both Business and End User, The Curve should be available to Both Business and End User alike, and The new 8320 for TMO (Soon to be released) should be available to both Business and End User alike.
    Rim is on a "Feeding Frenzy" like Jaws if you will, its hunger is Money First, The Heck with the Customer"
    I remember growing up in a business environment, My Dad always professed the the little fish is sometimes more important than the Big Fish- See the little fish goes around beating their "Tom Tom" and tells the world what a wonderful device RIM made, They Market the device for Rim, the Corporate Guru, when his boss beats on him to do a better job and make the company more money, when he goes home anything associated with work goes to the drawer.
    Rim should look at all the companies Cellular equally, they should support TMO better, Somehow or another TMO is always in the toilet bowl when it comes to releases like this.
    I would like to Throw Rim a "Curve" I think what theyve done is despicable.
    TMO has poured out millions of dollars in development of TMO Hot Spots, the 8320 should have been out the door first or an explanation that better affords such despicable behavior.
    Apple Computer did the very same thing, actually this is an exact duplication of what happened to Apple, and after the End Users were ignored and their futile pleas were ignored, The Apple End Users, the people most loyal to Apple brought them down on their knees and they begged for mercy, now Apple listens to the end Users
    Rim are you Listening? Someone should speak up about the 8320 and the TMO Gang.
    Last edited by ItsaRaid; 05-04-2007 at 02:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast