got my new curve from O2 , I love it! my Fav BB yet (also ... BlackBerry Curve forum

rashumon no está en línea Stack level 2

8300 Firewall question

Advertisement

got my new curve from O2 , I love it! my Fav BB yet (also have the 8800 and the pearl ;-) I noticed Archer6 mentioned in his curve review here that its got an enhanced firewall feature where you can block email when you need some peace...
    I have been using it a little and it indeed blocks email very well but the problem is that once i disable the firewall the emails that were blocked are not recived, effectivly meaning that i loose any mails that were sent while the Firewall was on... not good!

Am i doing anything wrong? I tried reconciling my email once the firewall was disabled but the emails still dont get to my BB, how can i set it so that i would get the emails once i want them?

Cheers
    Rash

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

Re: 8300 Firewall question

Funny. That's precisely the feature that many, many people want (and actually it can be done on other models as well) and you're complaining about it...

If you want email to queue then you need to turn data off. Or use the phone only profile and just let the mail arrive without alerting you. Using the firewall will not allow email to queue so if that's what you want then don't use the firewall to stop mail delivery.

OzzieDog no está en línea Stack level 3

Please excuse my dumb question, but are you saying that if "firewall" is enabled, email do not come in? If that is the case I will stick to my 8700.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by OzzieDog
    Please excuse my dumb question, but are you saying that if "firewall" is enabled, email do not come in? If that is the case I will stick to my 8700.
    No, he is saying that there is now an option in the firewall settings to block email, in addition to the SMS, MMS and PIN. On my Pearl it's shown as BlackBerry Internet Service.
    Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr

Quote Originally Posted by takeshi
    Funny. That's precisely the feature that many, many people want (and actually it can be done on other models as well) and you're complaining about it...

If you want email to queue then you need to turn data off. Or use the phone only profile and just let the mail arrive without alerting you. Using the firewall will not allow email to queue so if that's what you want then don't use the firewall to stop mail delivery.
    I'm not complaining about anything, just trying to understand how this works, and how to do what i want...
    How do I turn Data off, while still beaing able to recieve calls and sms?
    Does the 'phone only' profile disable email delivery?

I dont understand what does the firewall do, if it blocks blackberry traffic (which obviously causes email to fail delivery) how come the emails dont come down again once the FW is disabled and reconciliation takes place? after all there is a discrepency at that point between the handheld and the mail box... and i set the mail box to win on conflicts....

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    Quote Originally Posted by rashumon
    I'm not complaining about anything, just trying to understand how this works, and how to do what i want...
    How do I turn Data off, while still beaing able to recieve calls and sms?
    Go to options/network and turn data service Off.
    Does the 'phone only' profile disable email delivery?
    No, it just turns off all alerts except for phone calls. It does not impact delivery of anything.

I dont understand what does the firewall do, if it blocks blackberry traffic (which obviously causes email to fail delivery) how come the emails dont come down again once the FW is disabled and reconciliation takes place? after all there is a discrepency at that point between the handheld and the mail box... and i set the mail box to win on conflicts....
    Good question here, don't know. That's the way RIM has it set up.
    Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ thanks Rcbjr, I still don't get it, what do you mean 'that's the way RIM does it'? What's the point of email reconciliation when its not reconciling correctly?
    Also when turning data con off and then turning it on again does correct reconciliation takes place?

PIN/ID
    PM - Ask
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ thanks Rcbjr, I still don't get it, what do you mean 'that's the way RIM does it'? What's the point of email reconciliation when its not reconciling correctly?
    Also when turning data con off and then turning it on again does correct reconciliation takes place?
    I assume, and this is partially conjecture, but it is based on some knowledge of protocols, that when data service is turned off, the BIS or BES server cannot connect to the BB and does not attempt to send the message. It then will wait until the phone connects to the data network before it tries again. But if the when the firewall is set to block messages, the server has accomplished the connection handshaking and sends the message, which the firewall justs drops. The Server thinks that it was sent.

It may not be the best method, but it's better than what we had with 4.0 software.
    Rcbjr

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ yes indeed this is what I gathered from this discussion. I'm going to test the 'data connection off' option and see whether we're right about this...
    however I'm a bit puzzled about the fact that BB does not have functionality to simply disable email delivery for a period of time and than to re-enable it and receive all queued messages... I'm sure lots of people need this functionality, if not for anything other than keeping their sanity over the weekend...

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ ok, tested this and Rcbjr is right. When turning data connection off and then re-enabling it, queued email is delivered. However the bummer about this is that when data is turned off browsing is not possible I often use my BB like a mini laptop for browsing the web when I'm bored and can't be bothered to go to my laptop...

Does anyone know of anyway to use the firewall (or any other mechanism) to temporarily disable email delivery so that emails are queued up, without loosing precious stuff?

sinkers no está en línea Stack level 3

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ ok, tested this and Rcbjr is right. When turning data connection off and then re-enabling it, queued email is delivered. However the bummer about this is that when data is turned off browsing is not possible I often use my BB like a mini laptop for browsing the web when I'm bored and can't be bothered to go to my laptop...

Does anyone know of anyway to use the firewall (or any other mechanism) to temporarily disable email delivery so that emails are queued up, without loosing precious stuff?
    Is the simple answer to receive the emails but to turn off all audible and visual notifications - via one of the profiles?
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    OS upgrades are phone dependent NOT carrier dependent

Quote Originally Posted by sinkers
    Is the simple answer to receive the emails but to turn off all audible and visual notifications - via one of the profiles?
    I'm afraid not realy... Emails will still get to the phone this way and fill up my message box and get all mixed up with my weekend SMS traffic... Push email is great, its just a shame there isn't a way to temporarily disable the 'push' part sometimes...

sinkers no está en línea Stack level 3

I'm afraid not realy... Emails will still get to the phone this way and fill up my message box and get all mixed up with my weekend SMS traffic... Push email is great, its just a shame there isn't a way to temporarily disable the 'push' part sometimes...
    The 8300 comes with an operating system that already has emails and SMS separated.

If you have a Pearl - just upgrade to the lastest Rogers OS and it also seperates Email from SMS
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    OS upgrades are phone dependent NOT carrier dependent

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~i know they are separated but I use the main messages icon to view my SMS messages and that also gives me emails in the same folder...
    I don't think I'm asking for much, I think this is a feature lots of people would love to have. the ability to set email push to on/off on a per inbox basis from the handset...

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

however I'm a bit puzzled about the fact that BB does not have functionality to simply disable email delivery for a period of time and than to re-enable it and receive all queued messages...
    Not really. I mean why get a push email device and set it up if you don't want email? There are plenty of pull devices that will pull email only when you want it or in intervals that you specify.

If you want to only temporarily turn off email delivery then email RIM at bbsuggestions@rim.com. It's not an immediate fix by any means but they don't actively monitor forum sites for feature requests. Assuming there's enough demand they'll surely get to adding the feature.
    Last edited by takeshi; 05-31-2007 at 03:07 AM.