Currently running Software Version 4.2.2.146 In the past two weeks I have begun to notice ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ohjessica no está en línea Stack level 1

8300 Buzzing & Shutdown Issue

Advertisement

Currently running Software Version 4.2.2.146

In the past two weeks I have begun to notice a persistent, loud, buzzing noise when talking on my Curve. Sometimes, but not always, this is followed by my phone going completely black. It takes several battery pulls before it is up and running again.

Today, I was taking a photo with the phone when it shut down again. After a few minutes, it came back on its own.

The phone is 4 days from being out of warranty. I have a Mac, so I do not see any way to install a new OS. A year ago when I purchased the phone, I had borrowed someones PC to install a different OS.

My questions:
    1. What is going on?
    2. If I "wipe handheld" from my phone, will it restore it back to the OS the phone came with, or the one that I updated to? Will I still have my themes unlocked?
    3. Is there a way to install a new OS using my Mac?

Thanks!

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Hi Jessica......sounds like a device issue and since you're within the warranty period, I'd definitely suggest a replacement.

But to answer your questions:

1. I don't know!
    2. Wiping the handheld from the device will only clear all the data, themes, 3rd party applications, etc off the device. Will leave the OS unchanged.
    3. No. The only way to install a new OS is through the Desktop Manager on a PC.

well i called At&t and they are shipping me out a replacement phone.
    in the interim, I am d/l a new OS package from Italy and the new version of desktop manager. at this point i have nothing to lose.

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784
    Do not harm your phone installing a new OS. Wait for the official to drop. It's supposed to be released real soon. My advise to you is to wait because there are far too many complaints from people all over pinstack and other forums when upgrading to 4.5. wait it out bro. Just my 2 cents

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    I would agree with Topo.....I mean Raton. (By the way, this bro is a SHE!)

Whatever features 4.5 will bring you are certainly worth waiting a few weeks for.

The Italian release is the oldest of the releases and therefore the buggiest.

Just hang in there a couple more weeks.

Any chance they'll ship you an 8310 instead of the 8300?

I decided to wait on the 4.5 upgrade and just do one of the other 4.x upgrades since I read somewhere else that my OS could be hosed. Hopefully I will have a new device in the next day or two and if I screw something up it wont be that big of a deal.

Update:

The new 8300 At&t shipped me experienced the same exact problem with buzzing and shutting off. I took the phone into an At&t store where they swapped out my SIM card, but to new avail. They informed me there that they no longer carried replacement batteries.

I went home and called At&t warranty department and explained everything. They also did not have any batteries available. They ended up shipping me a new 8310, complete with battery & back.

So, now I'm off to back up my existing 8300 and keep my fingers crossed that all of the information will be transferable to the 8310.