Does anyone know how to use the 8300 as a modem for a laptop? According ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jerry2007 no está en línea Stack level 1

8300 as a modem?

Advertisement

Does anyone know how to use the 8300 as a modem for a laptop?
    According to blackberrycurve.com, you can use the 8300 as a modem but I don't see it anywhere in the manual or on the phone.
    Please help.

2-4Trippin no está en línea Stack level 3

Re: 8300 as a modem?

Hi Jerry, welcome to the stacks.

You could try this BB resource: BlackBerry as a Tethered Modem
    Last edited by 2-4Trippin; 06-01-2007 at 04:45 PM.

tjguzik no está en línea Stack level 3

I had a 7130 and currently have an 8830. If it is similar, I had to download some software from the Verizon website, then plug the BB to the laptop. Then click on connect on the laptop and it will enter "modem" mode. I would think this would be a similar for any carrier.

billytickets no está en línea Stack level 2

yes its an extra charge

jaytheme27 no está en línea Stack level 1
    hey jerry in order use the 8300 as a modem follow these steps

1. make sure you have Blackberry desktop manger installed, (v4.1 or later)
    2. make sure that your device is subscribed to a Data Unlimited plan by your carrier
    3. go to control panel on your PC >Networkand Internet Connections>
    4. the on the left sdie select Phone and Modem options> modems tab and select standard modem, then click properties
    5. click the Advanced tab and in the "extra initialization command" box enter +cgdcont=1,"IP","<your Internet APN>". (if your carrier is cingular the APN is wap.cingular)
    6. Click OK twice to close out of the modem menu,
    7. in teh control panel go to netwark Connections, and click on new connection on the left side
    8. You will create a new connection using the modem that you just set
    9. Select connect tot he Internet>set up connection manually> set connections manually,
    10. a screen should open with standard moden i the box select the check box next to it and click next
    11. inter you connection settings, name your connection(ISP name....anything)
    12. For Phone Number use *99# (*if cingular customer)
    13. then username is ISP@CINGULARGPRS.COM (ALL CAPS) and the password is CINGULAR1 (ALL CAPS), enter password again and you can chose to have a shorcut icon on the desktop if you want (optional)
    14. once finished a dial screen will pop up, click on properties and in the Genral Tab select the check box next to standard modem and hit configure, clear all check boxs in that screen and close, then close the Properties Menu and clcik on your connection and select Connect, then dial , If you entered all the information as listed above or pertaining to your carrier then you should have no problems

jerry2007 no está en línea Stack level 1

Thanks everyone!!!

erdosr no está en línea Stack level 1

Modem Mode...

If I use the BB as a modem, can I use it to "talk" through MS Outlook on my notebook? I want Outlook to see my Contacts and Inbox, and to send/receive e-mail. This would be great. Can it be done? How would I configure Outlook to communicate with the BB?