I have been a proud owner of a 7290 bb. It is my first bb ... BlackBerry Curve forum

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

7290 vs. 8300: Is there really that much of a difference?

Advertisement

I have been a proud owner of a 7290 bb. It is my first bb and I have had it almost 9 months. Today I went to a AT&T store and was hoping to play with a live demo but only got a chance to play around with a dummy phone. After a few seconds of holding it and feeling out the keyboard I wonder can a guy with hands as big as mine enjoy typing on such a keyboard. Considering the space that is on the 7290 keyboard? I would like to get your views on this.

Rcbjr no está en línea Stack Pro
    PIN/ID
    PM - Ask

Re: 7290 vs. 8300: Is there really that much of a difference?

Well, I started out with the 7290, transferred to the 8700, then to the pearl. I liked the 7290, but the 8700 was better, not necessarily the keyboard though. Although the keys for the Pearl seemed larger than the 8700 they were slick and the thumbs would slip and get an extra key. But I got used to the trackball and really like it.

Now with the curve the keys, even though they're smaller are separated like the 7290. Best of the both worlds.

Hope this helps.
    Rcbjr
    ~via My BB Curve (wap.pinstack.com)~

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

It's hard to say. Obviously, if your hands are too large you'll have difficulty adjusting but you'll have to see if the keyboard works for you. I use the 8800's keyboard just fine but I wouldn't consider my hands as large.

sugarbutt no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    241CF1B5

My husband has really large hands and he got used to the 8700 after a few days. I let him play with Curve and he had no problems. Actually said it was an east adjustment. He can work his 8700 with no problems one handed and I couldn't reach all the way across it. I am excited to have one that I can work one handed (either hand for that matter). It's hard to say but the Curve is by far the best BlackBerry I have ever owned. I really do LOVE it.

Felixtc no está en línea Stack level 3

Well I have to say I appreciate all the information given. I will hopefully get a chance soon to play with a live unit. The 8300 would be a huge plus for me to have.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Rcbjr
    I liked the 7290, but the 8700 was better, not necessarily the keyboard though.
    Now with the curve the keys, even though they're smaller are separated like the 7290. Best of the both worlds.
    You are so right! I have an 8700, but find the keys dreadful, in my case nearly unuseable. Every other BB I have they are just fine. The only difference is some are more to my taste and thereby faster and more accurate. Two Favs: 7130 & 8300.

jigxerjay no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319F0748

in my opinion... 8300 beats up the 7290 like Rampage beat up Chuck Liddel.... LOL
    "When a man playing poker with money meets a man playing poker with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Quote Originally Posted by Felixtc
    I have been a proud owner of a 7290 bb. It is my first bb and I have had it almost 9 months. Today I went to a AT&T store and was hoping to play with a live demo but only got a chance to play around with a dummy phone. After a few seconds of holding it and feeling out the keyboard I wonder can a guy with hands as big as mine enjoy typing on such a keyboard. Considering the space that is on the 7290 keyboard? I would like to get your views on this.
    I too have large hands. My suggestion is to stay with the 7290, I had one and it was great. By far the best BB keyboard of all. My perfect BlackBerry would be the 7290 with the guts of a 8700c.

This trend of thinner, smaller, pack it with features such as camera and music player, GPs, blah, blah, blah... is not my ideal. And while I have purchased all these different models, it's mainly because I like to try them and I'm a confirmed BB addict. However I have not seen a good camera or music player on a phone yet. I carry a small digital camera and an iPod and that works perfect for me.

That said I find for me the two favs are my 7130c which has no camera or media player, is shaped like a cell phone but not too small, and has the SureType input method. I prefer that to qwerty as it's super fast, accurate and fun to use.

So before you give up the best keyboard on the planet, give it some really serious thought.

Cheers....

jscottbarnes no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    No-More

Quote Originally Posted by jigxerjay
    in my opinion... 8300 beats up the 7290 like Rampage beat up Chuck Liddel.... LOL
    Now that's a beating...

I have to agree though... not even close!!!

angeleyes no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2404A818

Jig you just broke my heart! I'm a diehard iceman fan!

jigxerjay no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    319F0748

Quote Originally Posted by angeleyes
    Jig you just broke my heart! I'm a diehard iceman fan!
    im a fan too of THE ICEMAN... but you got a admit that Rampage won that fight...
    "When a man playing poker with money meets a man playing poker with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!

I have big hands also and the large 7730 was TOO big for me when I had it at the time. I was happy when I was informed about the 7100t 2 years ago from T-Mobile. I have used 2 of those (1 got lost thanks to T-Mobile), then 2 7105t's, and now 2 Pearls. My only problem with my first Pearl was getting past the first 7 days of thumb cramps due to the smaller keypad.

With that said, I have seen the 8300 and it is a combination of the thinness of the 8100, the QWERTY keypads of the 7290 and 8700g, and has the media features of the 8100.

The best thing to do is to try the BB and if you determine that it's not for you (within their buyer's remorse period), you can return it.