Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Since AT&T only wants to cover the cheap phones, What is a good 3rd party ... BlackBerry Curve forum

jacobwelsh no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

3rd Party Insurance

Advertisement

Since AT&T only wants to cover the cheap phones, What is a good 3rd party insurance providor

GBallew no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

Insurance

Its not that we only want to cover the "Cheap" phones. But do you realize how much phones actually cost to make now?? If we sold phones at the price we paid for them, we would never sell any phones. And its not us the company that wont cover the phones, it the warranty company we work through. And if anything is a manufacturer defect, we cover it for up to a year. The trick is, don't do anything to hurt your phone.

On the other note, accidents do happen...There is a 3rd party Insurance company that covers PDA and Smart Phones. The deductable is a little higher than what at&t charges, but it is insurance nontheless. ATG Device Replacement Program (For Business Users...but don't worry about that). Thats the Atlantic Technology Group. They cover Blackberry's, Treo's, Ipaq's, etc, etc. It costs $5 to $8 a month, depending on your phone. They will replace with like OR better! (depending on how old your model is). The number is 1(301) 330-6260 x500.

...Hope this helps!
    Cingular is now the new at&t

jacobwelsh no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Re: 3rd Party Insurance

Thank you

DO you work for at&t as well
    Last edited by jacobwelsh; 06-11-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Automerged.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Actually Gball, I think the choice not to cover the PDA's and expensive devices falls more on at&t than the insurance company since Verizon and T-Mobile both use Asurion and cover all devices in their sales list with no problems. I can't say exactly why (but am pretty sure that it is for cost savings to at&t and not the consumer) they choose not to but they don't.

Zo.

PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

Yes I do work for at&t, I work Sales in Everett Washington.

And Amigo, The cost for insurance replacement does not come through at&t. The phones are shipped through the vendors warehouse and not ours. I don't know what company we work through, but I think its them that are trying to save money through not covering PDA phones.

But I do completely agree that we should cover them, especially since the company is wanting us to push Integrated Devices (PDA's and our 3G phones (also not insurable, except for now the Sync))

hchai no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Take a look at safeware.com

Seems the price they quote is quite reasonable, and with $0 deductable. Don't have first-hand experience, however, reviews are not too bad.

takeshi no está en línea Stack level 7

You can always check with your own insurance company. You don't have to go through your carrier or a company that specializes in covering devices.

Quote Originally Posted by GBallew
    Its not that we only want to cover the "Cheap" phones. But do you realize how much phones actually cost to make now??
    I hope that's just your opinion and not the official word from at&t. For one of the largest carriers in the US I do find it odd that they don't offer PDA/smartphone insurance like their competitors nor offer 24 hour customer service (not counting the emergency after-hours customer service). Somehow the other carriers manage and they have exactly the same concerns as their devices aren't any less expensive.
    Last edited by takeshi; 06-11-2007 at 04:38 PM.

PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

Yes that is my opinion. And if you read what else I had written, you would have read that we also use a different insurance company than the other carriers. I had also said that whatever the reason is that we don't, we need to change. I don't agree with the warranty policy's that we have, but that's the way that it is. There is nothing that I can to to change it, but if enough people were to complain about it, according to at&t's new "The Customer Rules!" thing, they will eventually change it (hint hint)

exilio no está en línea Stack level 2

Re: Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by GBallew
    Its not that we only want to cover the "Cheap" phones. But do you realize how much phones actually cost to make now?? If we sold phones at the price we paid for them, we would never sell any phones.
    At what point do I start playing my violin for the hundreds of millions of dollars Cingular/AT&T make each year?

Defying predictions of an industry slowdown, Cingular Wireless said Wednesday that it tripled third-quarter profit to a record $847 million as sales rose 9.2% to $9.55 billion from the year-earlier period.
    I think they can somehow manage to offer insurance on these devices.

PIN/ID
    2404b3a8

Companies don't make any money off the phones like I said before. The money comes off of the features and the plans that come along with them. Buying a phone is a one time charge, thats it. The features that you get, thats what drives the revenue. If you take that 9.55 billion and devide it by the 65 million customers, that puts the average bill at $145. Granted there are more that are higher, and some that are less, it is the average.

that is also not taking into account the profit from the accessories. and just recently they changed our compensation, they reduced the commission that they give us, which also drives to give them more profit. And in 1Q, us here at the Pacific Northwest were $45 million under budget, which also calculates into profit.
    Last edited by GBallew; 06-11-2007 at 07:48 PM.

Amigotek no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    21D7B3C6

Sorry GB, you are probably going to end up being the complaint relations board in this topic.

[/quote] we also use a different insurance company than the other carriers[/quote]

Interestingly enough they do use a different insurance company but still have Asurion (which is the same insurance company as the others) handle everything and I haven't understood why they did that.

Zo.

dnbk2121 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    AsK Me

E-Z protect 3.99 a month 150$ deductable on a curve

dnbk2121 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    AsK Me

Ezprotect.com

180kid no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A1B95A

so i guess it's more than just the service that's bad. i'm with Sprint and i've had (3) PPC-6700s, (1) Sanyo M1, (1) 7130e, (2) 7100is, and (1) 8703e replaced and have never paid any amount of money other than my $4/month for insurance. i'm glad i'm with Sprint. and to think i was thinking of leaving for the Curve. good thing i found this out. thanks for the info

mogrefy no está en línea Stack level 1

Direct link for the consumer service through ATG mentioned above:

http://wirelesssafeguard.com/index.php

I think I'm going to go with this - having paid almost $500 for the device without contract I think it's worth it!!

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast