Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi everyone, I have had a really unfortunate unlucky streak with my 8320 Curve from ... BlackBerry Curve forum

ECEGatorTuro no está en línea Stack level 1

3 defective 8320's.... is anyone having the problems I am having?! :(

Advertisement

Hi everyone,
    I have had a really unfortunate unlucky streak with my 8320 Curve from T-Mo. I wanted to post here to see if anyone is having similar issues.

I purchased my first Curve on Nov. 2007 in Phoenix and after about 1 1/2 months, I noticed one day that while the trackball worked in terms of scrolling, clicking the ball or pressing any other button would not respond whatsoever. In other words, the phone worked perfectly (i.e. was receiving calls, calendar alerts going off, etc.) except for the fact that pressing any button or clicking the trackball would not do a thing. I called T-Mo and I had my phone replaced sometime around mid-Jaunary (replacement #1).

About a week later, I went on vacation to Telluride, CO and on the very first day we went skiing, I got separated from my friends (Telluride is a very large place!) so I went to try and call them. Keep in mind my phone was in an inside pocket protected from impact and snow/water damage. When I went to use my phone, it started doing the same exact thing! Not a single button would respond to key presses but the trackball would work perfectly fine for scrolling (no clicking!). Of course this really pissed me off because I didn't know my friend's numbers by memory and I could not access the address book! After another 6 hours of skiing around looking for people, I managed to find my friends. Needless to say, I called T-Mo again and complained and they sent me another replacement (replacement #2). I got the replacement phone about a week later around beginning of February (so I couldn't use my current phone for at least a week).

Now here we are in mid-March and my phone is acting up again. Coincidently it started after I came back from skiing in Flagstaff (are these phones altitude sensitive or something?!?!) This time however it is a different symptom. Now my trackball is acting super sensitive! In other words, if I try to scroll with my trackball, it starts acting as if I'm clicking it down instead. So imagine trying to scroll through your messages and then all of a sudden a message opens up, the menu opens and hits reply and then the menu opens up again and hits send (with a blank reply). It's acting like if I'm just clicking the trackball several times in rapid succession when I'm barely putting any pressure on it to roll the damn thing! The other problem is that this symptom isn't even constant... it is very intermittant and it will happen for 5 minutes then go away and then come back the next day for 6 hours and then go away, etc. It has even called 911 while it was in my pocket all on it's own via the unlock menu emegergency call option!!!

Has anyone had this experience before on this phone? What am I doing wrong here!? I'm going to place a call to T-Mo tonight or tomorrow but I wanted to post here to see if anyone is having similar issues...

Sorry for the lenghty post!

BenMarvin no está en línea Device Pro
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me!
    I've had some trackball issues with my 8320. Sometimes it won't scroll down or up and I have to mess with it for a while to get it to work again. It's probably just me wearing it out rather than a defect in the phone. I've already ordered a new trackball for it.

Having had taken apart the trackball assembly before, there's really not much that can go wrong in terms of not being able to click it. It's just a small piece of metal underneath the ball that bends down to contact the circuit board, perhaps a bit of dust or grime underneath it could prevent a connection.
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

ECEGatorTuro no está en línea Stack level 1
    I understand what you're saying but the older problem I was having didn't only affect the trackball, it affected all of the keys.

The current problem I have now is that the trackball is acting as if I am clicking it when I am barely touching it which is effectively rendering the trackball useless because everytime I try to scroll on something, the menus pop up and things get selected in an instant just by trying to scroll around.

vpham no está en línea Stack level 2
    That's really too bad. You have the same problem I do with the track ball. It's a known problem that is hit or miss with people, depending on your usage. I'm on my 4th pearl because of the trackball not working. I tried the whole alcohol cleaning thing & it's a hassel.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

avmsam no está en línea Stack level 1
    cant say i've had any trackball problems. i have seen posts on how to clean them. that might help. try google: clean curve trackball.

bunky1971 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    22F29DE1
    I have to agree - Compared to any 81xx or 8310 I have checked, I have the loose erratic trackball too. - I tried switching 8100 and 8310 trackballs as well. It seems the trackball frame on the 8320 is out of tolerance my less than 1mm, yet seems like the trackball wants to fall out. Too many people have my PIN to change now. I'm just dealing with it until the 9000 comes out. THEN and only then will it be worth the PIN change. LOL

ballr no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I have had a really unfortunate unlucky streak with my 8320 Curve from T-Mo. I wanted to post here to see if anyone is having similar issues.

I purchased my first Curve on Nov. 2007 in Phoenix and after about 1 1/2 months, I noticed one day that while the trackball worked in terms of scrolling, clicking the ball or pressing any other button would not respond whatsoever. In other words, the phone worked perfectly (i.e. was receiving calls, calendar alerts going off, etc.) except for the fact that pressing any button or clicking the trackball would not do a thing. I called T-Mo and I had my phone replaced sometime around mid-Jaunary (replacement #1).

About a week later, I went on vacation to Telluride, CO and on the very first day we went skiing, I got separated from my friends (Telluride is a very large place!) so I went to try and call them. Keep in mind my phone was in an inside pocket protected from impact and snow/water damage. When I went to use my phone, it started doing the same exact thing! Not a single button would respond to key presses but the trackball would work perfectly fine for scrolling (no clicking!). Of course this really pissed me off because I didn't know my friend's numbers by memory and I could not access the address book! After another 6 hours of skiing around looking for people, I managed to find my friends. Needless to say, I called T-Mo again and complained and they sent me another replacement (replacement #2). I got the replacement phone about a week later around beginning of February (so I couldn't use my current phone for at least a week).

Now here we are in mid-March and my phone is acting up again. Coincidently it started after I came back from skiing in Flagstaff (are these phones altitude sensitive or something?!?!) This time however it is a different symptom. Now my trackball is acting super sensitive! In other words, if I try to scroll with my trackball, it starts acting as if I'm clicking it down instead. So imagine trying to scroll through your messages and then all of a sudden a message opens up, the menu opens and hits reply and then the menu opens up again and hits send (with a blank reply). It's acting like if I'm just clicking the trackball several times in rapid succession when I'm barely putting any pressure on it to roll the damn thing! The other problem is that this symptom isn't even constant... it is very intermittant and it will happen for 5 minutes then go away and then come back the next day for 6 hours and then go away, etc. It has even called 911 while it was in my pocket all on it's own via the unlock menu emegergency call option!!!

Has anyone had this experience before on this phone? What am I doing wrong here!? I'm going to place a call to T-Mo tonight or tomorrow but I wanted to post here to see if anyone is having similar issues...

Sorry for the lenghty post!
    i think you should get an otterbox so you wont have problems with the next replacement as far as skiing goes

EricaJ1073 no está en línea PINStacked!
    I had a different problem come up on 2 different Pearls last year.

Pearl #1:

I received and used this Pearl (replacement for a busted 7105t trackwheel) for 3 months until I upgraded the OS to a certain version (I think it was the TIM Italy release) and it started throwing JVM errors in BlackBerry Messenger. Eventually it started rebooting itself when I switched from a slim extended battery to a regular extended battery. Tried to wipe the phone and reinstall the OS. Didn't work. Sent it back for replacement #1. Received Pearl #2 until the below incident.

Pearl #2:

Worked up until July 28 or somewhere in that week's time frame. Same OS crap as number 1 but this time when I connected my BB to my battery charger (piece of crap charger I ordered online to have a portable charger), the charger sent the thing into reset loops. Sent it back for Pearl number 3 which seems to be working fine so far.
    Last edited by EricaJ1073; 04-02-2008 at 02:49 PM.

daniesq no está en línea Stack level 1

Menus selecting themselves

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I understand what you're saying but the older problem I was having didn't only affect the trackball, it affected all of the keys.

The current problem I have now is that the trackball is acting as if I am clicking it when I am barely touching it which is effectively rendering the trackball useless because everytime I try to scroll on something, the menus pop up and things get selected in an instant just by trying to scroll around.
    I am having the same problem - except that I'm not even interacting with the Blackberry. It will wake itself up and just start throwing up menus and selecting items. Needless to say, very frustrating.

I have wiped the unit and reinstalled the OS, disassembled and cleaned the unit to the component level,etc. and I'm still having the same problems. Has anyone heard of this before?

I'd be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences and if they were able to fix the problem. If not, I'm going to have to suck it up and buy a new one, which I'd really like to avoid since I'm dying to buy the 9000 when Tmo finally releases it.

Thanks in advance,

Danielle

jaesternbach no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24b04967
    Believe it or not, when I switched from a titanium to gold curve on tmo, I went through three! I had no problems with my titanium one, but the two gold curves I received all had a crazy green tint to the screen! It was mad to think that out of all of those curves in the tmo warehouse, I kept on getting lemons. I asked the agent if the gold curves are known to have a green screen, they reported that no this is not the case. By my third gold curve I was satisfied. I am not changing my blackberry for a looong time. lol.

MsButterfli no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    203829EE
    i had the same issue recently with my gold curve. all of a sudden one day i went to use my phone and the only thing that worked was my scroll ball from left to right but i couldnt select anything. i had that curve from nov 07 to about june 20th and got my replacement. now this one is okay but im noticing that within 2 hrs my battery is being depleted to bout 40%. No wifi is running, no 3rd party apps or themes have been put on this phone. Now im waiting for a replacement battery. I wonder if this issue is just on the gold curves, not the titaniums...hmm

terrapin no está en línea Stack Pro
    I am on # 4 - they must have received a bad batch. I found someone who is more than willing to swap em out however but I an seriously considering att at this point...~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

dklimah no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK ME
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~I had a bunch problems with the Pearl. I had 4 replacements before I bought the Curve. My issues were with it freezing wheb I used the internet and having to do battery pulls all the freakin time. I like the cyrve much better.

exile211 no está en línea Stack level 2
    I have a titanium from tmobile. My phone started rondomly clicking itself too also started to dial emergency last night. I recently changed the trackball assembly and thought I caused this but tmo wants me to run an application logger(I think) before sending it in. I thought I solved this last night after deleting a few files but it came back today. on the bright side the rep sent me something I've been wanting for awhile...

Female_MC no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2C570
    Quote Originally Posted by MsButterfli View Post
    i had the same issue recently with my gold curve. all of a sudden one day i went to use my phone and the only thing that worked was my scroll ball from left to right but i couldnt select anything. i had that curve from nov 07 to about june 20th and got my replacement. now this one is okay but im noticing that within 2 hrs my battery is being depleted to bout 40%. No wifi is running, no 3rd party apps or themes have been put on this phone. Now im waiting for a replacement battery. I wonder if this issue is just on the gold curves, not the titaniums...hmm
    I had a gold curve also, but I wasn't having any trouble with the trackball. I had to request a replacement within a week of my original upgrade with T-Mobile. Sent it back because it has small cracks at the very top of the plastic but I didn't create them.

I asked for a Titanium replacement be sent and that's what I have now, I've had it almost a month now.

My little trick that I use to clean just the trackball (I don't take it apart yet because there isn't too much dust and grime in it.). I use a little bit of hand sanitizer and wipe it as if I'm using the trackball, just to keep it clean. Then I wipe the back of it down, these things get greasy just from the oil in your hands lol.

Like I said a little bit, because the gel sanitizer goes a long way!

¤Via: Crackberry Curve 8320¤
    "It's High-End, It's Shiny, It Means Business"
    "Blackberry, Go Get One! "
    •The Cut Life / C.O.T.C.•

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast