Hello, this is my first post here. I've been coming here for help since October ... BlackBerry Storm forum

91problems no está en línea Stack level 1

Question Wiping Unlocked Phone

Advertisement

Hello, this is my first post here. I've been coming here for help since October of last year.

My phone switched off this morning without me powering it off. It sometimes does that, especially when I'm receiving calls, so I wasn't worry about it powering off abruptly. When I tried to turn it back on I got the "JVM Error 102" message. After reading some instructions on here, I downloaded the JL_Cmder file and was able to locate and delete the error file.

However, I came across another errror when trying to turn my phone back on. This time it was the "APP Error 200". According to what I've been reading on here anad several other sites I will have to wipe my phone to get it to work. I've decided to wipe it since I've got a backup from the 31st of August.

THis leads me to my question. Since my phone is unlocked, after wiping it won't it default to the original network (Verizon)? I've got a T-Mobile account and the phone is a Storm 9530.

Thanks for your help(s).

RogerG no está en línea Stack Administrator
    Welcome to posting here on PinStack, 91!

No, once your phone is unlocked, it's unlocked for good, so you'll be okay there. You are wiping the OS from the device.....nothing more.

I know you had to do some things to get it to work on the TMO network, so if you remember how to do that, you should be good to go.

Thanks,

I can wipe my phone using JL_Cmder and re-install the applications using the Desktop Manager, right?

Desktop Manager won't automatically save your third party apps, so you'll have to reinstall the apps.

There is a method you can use to save them off, however, using the Switch Device Wizard.

Connect your device, then open DM and launch the Switch Device Wizard. Make sure you have only the box checked for your third party apps, then click next. When DM asks you to connect the other device, don't do anything at this point.

Now you'll want to do a search on your PC for a file that is your device PIN number with an .alx extension. This file contains all your third party apps. You'll need to save this in a location you can remember for later. I usually just put it on my desktop.

Once you've found and saved off the file, you can exit out of the Switch Device Wizard and go ahead and wipe your device.

Personally, I find BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife) a lot more user friendly than jl_cmndr. You can also save and restore third party apps using BBSAK, but I prefer the above method because I don't care for the way the apps are restored to your device using BBSAK. But I definitely prefer the ease of use with BBSAK for wiping the device, loading OS's and removing .cod files, etc. You can get it at www.bbsak.org.

So when you've wiped your device and are ready to reload the OS, you can add that .alx file at the point the OS is displayed on the screen. At the top of the window I think is a button that says "Add Files" or something to that effect. I've been off BlackBerry for a couple of months, so my memory is slipping a little.

Anyway, post back here if you have questions or issues!

I can't get past the "Switch Device Wizard" step. My blackberry won't connect. Can you just give me the steps to just wipe the phone. At this point I don't even care about the applications I might lose. At this point I just want my phone back on.

Edit: I was able to back up the files and wipe the device using BBsak; however, I cant find an OS in the dropdown menu whenever I try to reload. Im getting the "Reload Software: 507" message screen.
    Last edited by 91problems; 09-13-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Do you have your OS of choice downloaded and installed on your PC?

Finally got it working. I still had my contacts when it turned on. Thank you Roger.

Good deal! Glad you're back in business.