Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

I forgot to mention Apple's tradition of user-friendlyness. While it took me a while to ... BlackBerry Storm forum

red_5 no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

I forgot to mention Apple's tradition of user-friendlyness. While it took me a while to learn my way through a Pearl, I was zooming around an iPhone in no time the first time I ever played with one. Also, their OS just feels so smooth and lag-free... iPhones are truly a pleasure to use. I've gotten mad at my Pearl more than once...

danger872 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2401D9F3
    Quote Originally Posted by tws777 View Post
    Hey, the Giants beat the Pats! lol
    Lmao......smh

StefanSmith no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    206839C0
    I have the 8120 and iPhone 3G. For internet use, the iPhone 3G is simply in a different league. But overall, for business use, I could not ever get rid of my BB...iphone 3G would go first because there is a world of difference when it comes to being productive around email.

One thing that will shock you - battery life. iPhone battery life is so so so poor it defies belief. From 7.15am to 5pm I will go through a complete charge...and the main cause is push email. I have spent a small fortune on special chargers because the battery is too poor.

There is a ton of info on the internet about conserving battery life - switch of this and that - but that defeats the point of having an iPhone 3G which supports push email and 3G.

An 8120 and iPhone 3G is like comparing a 4 door family hatch with a 2 seater sports car. You simply can't compare. One is faster, sleeker, but can only seat 2 people and drinks petrol like its going out of fashion. The other is dependable, gets you to the same location in much the same time, is very economical and so on.

iPhone 3G is a great device but I simply cannot ever get up my BB!

As far as the storm goes, RIM have the potential to do very very well with it...if they can add some of the things where Apple has gained the lead...App store, for example.

As with all smart devices, there is a trade off...no one device has it all.

If RIM can make the on screen keyboard really really work, this may well be the future...
    Last edited by StefanSmith; 09-19-2008 at 06:01 AM.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanSmith View Post
    I have the 8120 and iPhone 3G.
    One thing that will shock you - battery life. iPhone battery life is so so poor it defies belief.
    An 8120 and iPhone 3G is like comparing a 4 door family hatch with a 2 seater sports car. You simply can't compare. .
    iPhone 3G is a great device but I simply cannot ever get up my BB!.
    Brilliant Post !
    It's very refreshing to read a fact filled review & comparison. One which fairly points out various pros & cons. Since I too have an iPhone 3G I can vouch for the accuracy of your statements. That said, and because I find the phone functionality & quality so poor on the iPhone I bought an iTouch which has proven to be a good compromise.

Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry

cwax no está en línea BES Pro
    PIN/ID
    32DEF7BB
    Quote Originally Posted by ssnxp View Post
    I'm REALLY hoping the Thunder has a physical keyboard. Slide-out, or whatever.
    It won't. Now its possible for a future model of it to, since there is RIM patent out their for a slide out KB, but the Storm will not have a keyboard, its touch screen only

PIN/ID
    206839C0
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Brilliant Post !
    It's very refreshing to read a fact filled review & comparison. One which fairly points out various pros & cons. Since I too have an iPhone 3G I can vouch for the accuracy of your statements. That said, and because I find the phone functionality & quality so poor on the iPhone I bought an iTouch which has proven to be a good compromise.

Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry
    Thanks....

I too have an iTouch and have to agree with you. There is a great application for Symbian devices which allows your 3G phone to act as a Wifi server...if ever made available to run on BB's, heavon on earth would consist of a Bold / iTouch.

Another one of my stupid follow ups which I forget to post in the first place...

Apple has targeted the general population with its iPhone (e.g. teens, parents, tech geeks, general everyday people). In my opinion, this was a fantastic move. Unless you are the kind that continuously must be sending and checking email and messages, the iPhone is the better choice.

My 2 cents. Again...

PIN/ID
    206839C0
    Quote Originally Posted by red_5 View Post
    Another one of my stupid follow ups which I forget to post in the first place...

Apple has targeted the general population with its iPhone (e.g. teens, parents, tech geeks, general everyday people). In my opinion, this was a fantastic move. Unless you are the kind that continuously must be sending and checking email and messages, the iPhone is the better choice.

My 2 cents. Again...

I have to agree with you! There is so much iphone hype very basic things get overlooked.
    Smartphones are endemic. In the UK for example with the way our upgrades work, drives like the n95 are everywhere! This is a powerful Smartphone packed with rich technology. And for so many reasons, destined to be in the hands of literally hundreds of thousands of people who do no more than phone, text and take pictures. The devices will never connect to the internet because their owners have no interest or understanding and not least screen size oftena just doesn't make it a positive experience.

The iphone is the device which has changed that. It has provoked interest in internet on the move.

I have read so many blogs and forum messages from excited iphone users and their amazement at what they could do!

At first I read these thinking these people must lead such sheltered lives! Devices going back to the 1990s could access the web and email!!!!!

But then it dawned on me that for many of these people using the internet on the move was a new experience! Why? Because apple made it easy and for the lay person many phones - BB included - are not so intuitive!

But then this comes at a cost to apple when it comes to the more professional market!

My own opinion is this. As far as the iphone goes, business professionals who really need do need features and functionality, only opt for the iphone because they are sold on its more social capabilities - but have the technical understanding to deal with its shortcomings.
    Put another way - real professional users - perhaps I should call them power users - will go for a device like the iphone because they know the things it can't do - are prepared to compromise - and really want the media and touch screen.

However, this is the real world and not everyone gets suckered in by the hype and marketing.

The BB email experience is about real productivity.

Imagine something simple - you have thousands of emails and you want to perform a simple search!

Well - on the iphone forget it!!!!

With the BB? We have multiple ways of searching and even keeping pre-saved searches to hand!

Rim have a much better understanding of productivity than apple! And it is for these reasons I think a device like the storm could be hugely popular.

First and foremost you get the full BB experience. And for a compromise of typing speed you get many of the benefits of the iphone.

Bottom line - its nice to see rim outside their comfort zone but still sticking to their core competencies.

Nice. Thanks for that. I totally agree :-)

I'm a simplistic person, iPhone is for me!

But right now I'm sticking with my Pearl 8100 and getting an iTouch...

ikasen no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Ask Me

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Brilliant Post !

Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry
    "Brilliant Post"?????
    Absolute Trash! would be more like it, and you should know better.
    First of all, the battery issue: It has taken a little while, just like working your way through how to have the correct memory issues with a Blackberry, but I have finally come up with the correct settings and app useage where my daily battery charge still has 1/2 left when I go to sleep. That includes having push-on, fetch-at 1/2 hour intervals, haveing wi-fi and 3g on at the proper times. Don't tell me that's all any different than having to hit cntrl alt lg or clearing your browers cash to get the memory cleaner to clean the memory, or just rebooting the Blackberry all the time. If someone was to read up enough about the battery problems that some have had and some have not had, there was also a theory that the problem was how often you have email set to fetch, not that you have push email. Obviously, that also brings up the point that all email is push on Blackberries and not on the Iphone. I never said Blackberries didn't have some advantages, just like the Iphone does.
    As for business use: I have about 13 app store apps so far, no stupid useless flashlites or that kind of crap, but useful apps. Things like: to do lists that sync online, password keeper, checkbook app, over the air file sharing, and the basics of email, text messaging and so on that make the Iphone at least the same for business users as a Blackberry.
    This really isn't a pi__ing contest between the two, or shouldn't be, as they are both good devices. You notice I didn't have one negative thing to say about Blackberries, although I could have easily dug some up, just like everybody does about the Iphone. It's really not my life work to point out how wrong Iphone bashers or "Blackberries are so much better" people are, it just gets me going when I read this junk.
    As I have said before, I have Blackberries and one Iphone. I am currently enjoying the Iphone useage, I'd love to try a Bold if they ever become operational (and by that, I mean through a carrier). If that happens in my lifetime, then I'll be open to a new experience.
    BTW............
    as for the Thunder: it will have the same "first generation experiment" thing against it that the Iphone had with it's first device (which I stayed away from), plus I happen to like AT&T. That last statement could start another argument with a lot of people, although not with us.

Cheers.......
    Last edited by ikasen; 09-22-2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Thought of some more stuff...........

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456