In the past, it's been one or the other, but never GPS and WiFi. Will ... BlackBerry Storm forum

IHateMyTreo no está en línea Stack level 3

Will the S2 have GPS and WiFi?

Advertisement

In the past, it's been one or the other, but never GPS and WiFi. Will the S2 have both?

I admit I'm not a WiFi user, so this may be an ignorant question: Assuming you're on Verizon, what's the real benefit of WiFi? I understand using it on your home WiFi, but wouldn't it be a pain to try to use it elsewhere? Don't you have to use a key to get onto WiFi when you're off your own network?

Jaricanese no está en línea Software Pro
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    The Storm 2 is suppose to have WIFI AND GPS this time just like my lovely 8900

Certain places have public (no password) WIFI. Like here in NY many places do especially in Manhattan and Central Park. Then there are also places like McDonald's, Starbucks, and restaurants where you can either get free WIFI or WIFI on some type of membership.

The benefits of WIFI are:
    doesn't use your data plan, for people who don't have unlimited data, this can save money

MUCH faster. This is the most important for me. Using WIFI makes the internet on your fun run a lot faster which always is a positive in my book.

tai
    tai no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304E2757
    The answer is yes. The Storm 2 & the Curve 2 will have wifi. They are to be released around October but launched in late November. That's directly from a VZWEngineer.
    BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.148 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

tai
    PIN/ID
    304E2757
    I also found it nice to see the Curve 2 has no trackball but a small touch pad. The Storm 2 has no buttons, it's all touch.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by tai View Post
    I also found it nice to see the Curve 2 has no trackball but a small touch pad. The Storm 2 has no buttons, it's all touch.
    Curve 2? Don't you mean Bold 2?

moderncowboy no está en línea Stack Moderator
    PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Nope there is chatter about the Curve 2 also..

wheelz no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ask4pin
    Curve 2 cool maybe even wifi how cool is that. We wiil see
    BlackBerry8330/4.5.0.169 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105

PIN/ID
    ASK
    ?? What's the Curve 2 then? Theres already the Curve 8900 and 8520.

tai
    PIN/ID
    304E2757
    no chatter, i saw it myself. there is a curve 2. tmobile carries it right now. i'm not sure if their version has wifi but vzw's version does.

tai
    PIN/ID
    304E2757
    the storm 2 is the route i'm taking. it also has wifi and the screen is much better than the current version.

PIN/ID
    ASK
    Quote Originally Posted by tai View Post
    no chatter, i saw it myself. there is a curve 2. tmobile carries it right now. i'm not sure if their version has wifi but vzw's version does.
    OOoo so its the 8520 then you're talking about. I thought there was yet again another curve I was about to say lol.

Yea the Storm 2 video I saw made it look verryyyy nice.

tai
    PIN/ID
    304E2757
    yeah. i just had a tech meeting friday and the engineer said that vzw is announcing it in oct but releasing them both in november but he said don't quote him. he did let me check out all the specs at that time and the internal announcement.