If you want to create a named search filter on ANY blackberry, in the messages ... BlackBerry Storm forum

craftsman no está en línea Stack level 1

Where is the ALT key on the Storm virtual keyboard?

Advertisement

If you want to create a named search filter on ANY blackberry, in the messages database, including the STORM, the directions are as follows:

(This is important for Enterprise activated devices, for example, Outlook or Lotus Notes corporate activations.)

All mail will be viewable in the primary message icon (for example, HotMail and Gmail will be mixed with your corporate account).
    There is a second desktop icon which you should have which only lists your Gmail, HotMail, etc. messages.
    There is only one way to ONLY view Corporate emails, and that is to create a "view" (named search filter) which brings up only messages for your Corporate E-mail address.

Let's say you work for RIM. Here is how you would create the search view for which you can designate a shortcut key to
    view messages addresses to your RIM e-mail - "your_email@rim.com":

Open the message database view, click on the menu button and select "search"
    After Name: - type in your RIM address ("your_email@rim.com)
    After IN - choose "any address field" so that it will show everything TO, CC'd, or BCC'd to you
    After Show - you can choose whether you want to view just "received" or "sent and received" messages
    All other options can be kept to what is given by default.
    Then Save the search. (Hit the Menu key, and select "SAVE" from the pop-up)
    It will then ask you to give this search a name, like "RIM email" for example, and then you will assign a shortcut key to view it quickly.
    Say you assign the letter "r", and click on save.
    When you go back into the message icon and click on the <Alt> key and that assigned letter (r for example) then it will only bring up the emails that are addressed to "your_email@rim.com"

There are three virtual keyboard displays on the STORM (6 if you count landscape and portrait) ... alpha, numeric and symbol.
    Where is the ALT key? Not seeing it on any of the virtual keyboards.

I've asked two Version techs, and one RIM tech, and have gotten three different answers (The numeric shift, the alpha shift, and SYM keys ... but not one of them actually HAD a STORM device to prove what they said!)

Please respond ONLY if you have a STORM, and have successfully created a named filter and were able to pull it up.
    When you view the named filter, the top of the display will show your filter name above the messages database name.
    Not willing to drop an additional $50.00/hr with RIM Technical Support for something that should be documented on their website, or in the owner's guide.

Thanks, in advance.

I have done extensive research on this issue, and after having been told by three Verizon Techs and two RIM techs various keyboard shift keys, I have found that:
    1. There is no <ALT> key on the Storm's 6 virtual keyboards
    2. The only use that the <ALT> key has on the Storm is to display the address book named filter .. but since there is no <ALT> key, the filter can be created, but not used.
    3. Techs who do not know the actual answer may lie and act like they do in order to save face, rather than saying: "I do not know, let me research it and get back to you" (or verbiage to that effect). I wish I would have kept their contact info.
    4. I did not get any misdirected information on this forum ... that is appreciated more than the incorrect responses I received from the helpdesk Level-1 techs at Verizon and RIM.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?

The ALT key is the !?123 key highlighted in red, when you set it up it ask for ALT+ A,B,C and so on. I picked C for mine and here is the glitch when you hit the !?123 button it changes it to the Numeric keyboard. just select the number that lines up with the letter you chose, So for me C=9. I tested this on the original storm running 5.0.0.328
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.

Jeff,

Thanks for replying, and for the e-mail notification for the reply.

I am one of a dozen level-2 techs for a small national mutual insurance company which supports just shy of 2000 agents who have a BES activated Blackberry device of some type - only about 250 or so have this virtual keyboard model, and not one of them has an <ALT> key on any of the 6 virtual keyboard displays. I have tried the numeric shift, the Alpha-case shift, and the Symbol shift. They each do as described, but not one of the 6 acts as the <ALT> key in this particular database configuration.
    Maybe it has to do with some obscure setting that is activated when the BES software is loaded. I do not dispute you that it works on your phone, thank you again for sharing your experience. Try it with a "Y" (see below) ... something not on the numerics, and let me know your results. Maybe, it has to do with the fact that our company name (We have the agents use that initial character for their search filter shortcut letter selection) does not begin with one of the alpha characters that maps to a numeric key value???

* For those not familiar with this process - Open the messages database. Use the menu key to drill down to find your <Search> - select your BES e-mail address. Select all (To:, CC:, and BCC: so any) messages are addressed to you are found regardless of how they got there. Follow the steps to save it as a named search. You will be prompted to select a letter of the alphabet to associate (for example "lower case Y"). Save it with a name. Now exit out back to the main screen. Go back into messages, and try to pull up the named filter using the shortcut. You would, on ANY OTHER Blackberry model, hit "<ALT>y" and you would then only see your BES messages (ALL incoming e-mails, HotMail, Yahoo, GMail, etc. (BIS mail) and your BES mail end up here, which is why the filer is needed. Individual mail accounts (BIS only) have a shortcut symbol on the "desktop" of the smart-phone, but BES messages are not supported in that fashion by RIM. All BIS & BES messages are in the messages database, and to view only BES messages, a named filter is required.

<Num Shift>y .... <Alpha/case Shift>y .... <Sym shift>y does NOT bring up the expected displayed filtered messages on the Storm, as it does on the Curve, Pearl, 7xxx series, 6xxx series, etc.

-Dave

mdavis no está en línea Stack level 1
    PIN/ID
    2334434E
    Don't know if this helps.
    If I press the numeric shift once, ALT appears in the top right corner.
    Hope it is what you were looking for.

jeffallen8 no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
    Jeff,

Thanks for replying, and for the e-mail notification for the reply.

I am one of a dozen level-2 techs for a small national mutual insurance company which supports just shy of 2000 agents who have a BES activated Blackberry device of some type - only about 250 or so have this virtual keyboard model, and not one of them has an <ALT> key on any of the 6 virtual keyboard displays. I have tried the numeric shift, the Alpha-case shift, and the Symbol shift. They each do as described, but not one of the 6 acts as the <ALT> key in this particular database configuration.
    Maybe it has to do with some obscure setting that is activated when the BES software is loaded. I do not dispute you that it works on your phone, thank you again for sharing your experience. Try it with a "Y" (see below) ... something not on the numerics, and let me know your results. Maybe, it has to do with the fact that our company name (We have the agents use that initial character for their search filter shortcut letter selection) does not begin with one of the alpha characters that maps to a numeric key value???

* For those not familiar with this process - Open the messages database. Use the menu key to drill down to find your <Search> - select your BES e-mail address. Select all (To:, CC:, and BCC: so any) messages are addressed to you are found regardless of how they got there. Follow the steps to save it as a named search. You will be prompted to select a letter of the alphabet to associate (for example "lower case Y"). Save it with a name. Now exit out back to the main screen. Go back into messages, and try to pull up the named filter using the shortcut. You would, on ANY OTHER Blackberry model, hit "<ALT>y" and you would then only see your BES messages (ALL incoming e-mails, HotMail, Yahoo, GMail, etc. (BIS mail) and your BES mail end up here, which is why the filer is needed. Individual mail accounts (BIS only) have a shortcut symbol on the "desktop" of the smart-phone, but BES messages are not supported in that fashion by RIM. All BIS & BES messages are in the messages database, and to view only BES messages, a named filter is required.

<Num Shift>y .... <Alpha/case Shift>y .... <Sym shift>y does NOT bring up the expected displayed filtered messages on the Storm, as it does on the Curve, Pearl, 7xxx series, 6xxx series, etc.

-Dave
    I dont think that the BES server would block something like that. I to an also on a BES server of 30 or so people. I only tried my theory with letters in the numeric keypad area so sorry for that. i will try again and see what I get
    Looking for Wallpapers or Icons for making themes? I can help!

Truth + Clarity = Power

If you are going to take the time to respond... take the time to actually understand that to which you are responding.