I thought this would be good information for Storm 2 users. When I got my ... BlackBerry Storm forum

hazzmatte no está en línea Stack level 2

Using wifi for apps and email when not connected to verizons network

I thought this would be good information for Storm 2 users.

When I got my storm 2 I wanted to test the wifi connection. Under manage connections I turned off Verizon's data connection and left the wifi connection on. What I experienced is I was able to browse the internet over wifi but apps like app world, facebook and e mail would not work. I got an error saying that there was no network connnection. I was puzzled. I figured that if I do not have a cell signal then I should be able to use wifi for apps and e mail. At this point under manage connection wifi was green but had a white hash mark instead of a green check.

I stopped in and talked to a Verizon tech and they confirmed that with out a cell network apps and blackberry email will not work but I can still browse the internet. I also was on the phone with a RIM tech for hours trying to find a fix.

Finally last night I tripped over the fix. If you goto the browser>bookmarks>wifi services you have to click on wifi hotspot login. After that I get a message saying the "Your blackberry device is now connected to the internet". Under manage connections I now have a green check next to my wifi network. So now I can disable the verizon network and I still have the ability to surf the web, send and receive e mails and apps like app would and face book work great.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse anyone.

srl7741 no está en línea Stack Professional
    Great information to know. I'm sure a lot of people will be puzzled by that at first also.

MotoUp no está en línea BES Pro
    As a side note to this, The BES provisioning is different than the standard BIS when it comes to wi-fi. With BES you don't have to go that extra step. Very good info. Thanks for posting it.

BeamMeUp no está en línea Stack level 2
    Earlier today I selected the hotspot option while I was in my office all day. I forgot about it until I stopped by a pizza shop that did not have a WiFi access point, and there was no way for me to reach the internet until I reset it back to the original setting before I selected Hotspot. It was no big deal, just something that needs to be remembered.