Phase 1: Getting you unlock code
1. Call Verizon customer support and ask them for ... BlackBerry Storm forum
UNLOCKING - Step by Step
Phase 1: Getting you unlock code
1. Call Verizon customer support and ask them for Global Customer Care.
2. When you are finally connected, tell them you need the SIM unlock codes for your device because you are traveling overseas to some remote country that only uses GSM.
3. If they tell you they cant give you them or they dont have them or any other excuse, say thank you, hang up and go back to step 1 and repeat. It took me 3 calls before someone finally gave me them. Also, dont get all fired up and start screaming because chances are they make a note on your account and it will make it even harder during followup calls. You might also want to try getting the SIM unlock codes from regular customer support.
4. Write down the unlock code, it is a 16 digit number, you will need it later.
Phase 2: Unlocking your device
1. Go to Options -> Advanced Options -> SIM Card
2. Flip your phone to horizontal mode and bring up the keyboard. To bring up the keyboard, hit the BlackBerry button and press Show Keyboard.
3. Hold down Caps Lock key until it locks.
4. Type "MEPD" without the quotes. This will bring up the SIM Card screen.
5. You should see a list of Active and Disabled SIM locking categories.
6. Again, hold down the Caps Lock key until it locks.
7. This time type "MEP2"
8. You should get a dialog that says "Enter Network MEP code (10 left):"
9. Enter the SIM unlock code you got from Verizon and hit the Enter button.
***MAKE SURE YOU TYPE IT EXACTLY AS YOU WERE GIVEN IT*** If you type it incorrect 10 times, you will render your phone useless. If it doesnt work after the first 2 times, call Verizon back and verify the number you got is right.
Phase 3: Forcing the Phone to use GSM
1. Pull the battery out and pull the Verizon SIM card out. Easiest way is with a pencil eraser.
2. Put the new SIM card from either TMobile of ATT in and put the battery back in.
3. When the phone finally boots back up go to Options -> Mobile Network
4. Change the Network Technology to GSM/UMTS
5. Hit the back button and wait as your GSM carrier is detected and the phone is registered with them.
Hope this helps
I called verizon the other day and they told me they unlocked the sim card so i can use it over sea's. they did not give me an unlock code. I was going to go over to Amsterdam. But my plans changed.
Unlocking the SIM card is not the same as Unlocking the phone. You take out the VZ card but you still end up with a locked phone that you cant use a different SIM card.
correct y2bandit...the steps above are only for unlocking the VZW sim and not actually the phone...to unlock the phone follow this thread http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...t_and_t-95645/
Yea...what's the difference???
Originally Posted by magellan0547
Last time I checked, the phone was locked to only accept Verizon SIM cards. By following the process I posted above, you UNLOCK the phone to use any SIM card. I have been using Web, SMS, MMS, BES, BIS, etc... on my phone after following my instructions without having to do anything you said.
Yes, I did the same as you and I have UNLOCKED the phone so that I can use any SIM on the phone.
Originally Posted by dwclarkNU
But what I also meant to say in my original post was that, I dont think you can UNLOCK the SIM card. There is no reason or purpose of unlocking the SIM card.
if you call Verizon they will activate your SIM card unless you tell them you are going to buy a sim overseas to use their locally to avoid international rates. The Blackberry UNLOCK is not the same. Unlocking the BB enables you to use any sim card from any carrier while Verizon can activate the SIM card they supply so you can use their card on GSM networks internationally...not in the USA. Hope that helps explain the difference
OH..and yes, btw.. having them activate the SIM does cost more - they charge for that GLOBAL service
Tags for this Thread