Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Originally Posted by archer6 Back on topic...trade my Bold for a Storm? What? After everything ... BlackBerry Storm forum

PIN/ID
    AskMe

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Back on topic...trade my Bold for a Storm?
    What? After everything I've been through...you gotta be kidding me, I'm keeping my Bold, this baby's a keeper!
    BUT, (there's always a but...heh!) I'm now very interested in a Storm! Especially since I'm hearing all the good things about the updated OS, and better build quality than the early ones I got & returned. I'm headed down to look at the latest crop of them tomorrow....

~ via Bold! ~ (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Thats the Leonard i know !! Dont mind the build quality of the demo units, from what i hear they are horrible.
    Just get one, go home, if you get a good build keep it - bad build exchange it.
    After the physical details, turn it on, upgrade to the latest Beta .85 and Enjoy the Storm !

jpl572103 no está en línea Stack level 3
    ps i set my email up on this iphone and it took less than 30 seconds. Im not kidding. I am a diehard BB nut but this stupid iphone is so easy to use.

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I simply got derailed for a few weeks while I worked my way through the Bold debacle. Now that I've got that all sorted out and REALLY working great, I'm now ready to go back out and give the Storm a go.
    Yeah, I never even touch the demo's in the store as I know all too well how trashed they are. The manager is a good friend, and he knows what I like. He brings out four new ones, I open one, inspect it and if it's good I take that one home, if not I open the next one, etc. I just saw a new one that a friend of mine bought today & the build quality was outstanding. So I'm feeling good about it. Finally, even once I get it setup to my liking I plan to use it for at least several days before I judge as I know it will require a short acclimation period. When I learned SureType, giving it a few days before judging it really pays off, I plan on using that same approach to the Storms unique input method.

~ via Bold ~ (wap.pinstack.com) ~

My iPhone 3G is fun as an entertainment device that just happens to have a phone hung on it. However, it would never replace any of my BlackBerrys. Since I have several lines I can take it along when I want & not have to swap sims or disturb my Bold, which is my main BB. However if one is planning on using an iPhone as their only phone after having a BlackBerry, most people return to the BlackBerry after the iPhone novelty wears off.

~ via Bold ~ (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Back on topic...trade my Bold for a Storm?
    What? After everything I've been through...you gotta be kidding me, I'm keeping my Bold, this baby's a keeper!
    BUT, (there's always a but...heh!) I'm now very interested in a Storm! Especially since I'm hearing all the good things about the updated OS, and better build quality than the early ones I got & returned. I'm headed down to look at the latest crop of them tomorrow....

~ via Bold! ~ (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Won't give up my Bold for all the tea in China... I did, however, play with the Storm before I decided it wasn't for me. I needed another device (I keep trying to convince my wife it was a NEED), so I went and picked up the 8900.

I was so impressed with the 8900 that I swapped sim cards and now it is my primary device.

After playing with the Storm at Telus (irritating three people who wanted it) for an hour, I came to the conclusion that it would be a great device for non business users. Unfortunately, I decided against it for the same reasons I decided against iPhone. I don't do touch screen, and I can't type fast enough on it.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    I simply got derailed for a few weeks while I worked my way through the Bold debacle. Now that I've got that all sorted out and REALLY working great, I'm now ready to go back out and give the Storm a go.
    Yeah, I never even touch the demo's in the store as I know all too well how trashed they are. The manager is a good friend, and he knows what I like. He brings out four new ones, I open one, inspect it and if it's good I take that one home, if not I open the next one, etc. I just saw a new one that a friend of mine bought today & the build quality was outstanding. So I'm feeling good about it. Finally, even once I get it setup to my liking I plan to use it for at least several days before I judge as I know it will require a short acclimation period. When I learned SureType, giving it a few days before judging it really pays off, I plan on using that same approach to the Storms unique input method.

~ via Bold ~ (wap.pinstack.com) ~
    I think, in your case, he should bring out four devices.... Let you play with them. Sell you one, and then put the other three in hiding until you have bad luck and need to come get another.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by Sirthinks View Post
    Won't give up my Bold for all the tea in China... I did, however, play with the Storm before I decided it wasn't for me. I needed another device (I keep trying to convince my wife it was a NEED), so I went and picked up the 8900.

I was so impressed with the 8900 that I swapped sim cards and now it is my primary device.

After playing with the Storm at Telus (irritating three people who wanted it) for an hour, I came to the conclusion that it would be a great device for non business users. Unfortunately, I decided against it for the same reasons I decided against iPhone. I don't do touch screen, and I can't type fast enough on it.
    Thanks for the feedback, I enjoyed reading your take on it. Actually I plan on using it as my iPhone replacement since I have a few lines. I'm such a smartphone addict I'm always trying different ones while I maintain two BlackBerrys as my main phones. One is strictly work, the other BB is my personal phone as I do not use a land line.

I would really enjoy hearing your feedback on your 8900. Personally, I think its the most beautiful design of any phone...period. I'm also a big Curve lover. I used my 8310 as my main personal BlackBerry for an entire year before my Bold. It's the only phone of any type I've used that long & STILL found it fun & fresh that whole time.

What's your take on the 8900?
    Thanks

~ via Bold ~

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I don't do touch screen, and I can't type fast enough on it.
    I really dont think you gave it enough time, I, too, dont really do touchscreens, actually I dont.
    Comes the Storm, i gave it a couple DAYS to try it out not an hour as i Truly believe you cannot give an educated opinion on a BB unless you've had it for a couple days.
    I now type just as fast as on any other BB, just like Archer said, its just like SureType, you HAVE to go at it with a positive attitude and start slow to learn how it works.
    People here will confirm to you that my typing to them on BBM is just as fast as it was on any other BB and they even didn't believe that i was typing on my Storm at first.
    Again you just have to give it a chance.

But Ill agree with you on the second part, the 8900 is BEAUTIFUL and EXTREMELY well built.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by jpl572103 View Post
    I wouldnt trade your bold for the storm. you will be very disappointed. texting is difficult/scrolling very difficult. Go to the verizon store and play with one. spend a good 10-15minutes really playing with it. Text to your phone/send email/try to go into settings and change things around in the storm. its very difficult.
    Read my previous post. You played with the demo unit at the Verizon Store ... thats why...
    Those units are used, abused and abused some more.
    OS is not usually updated and free memory sits at about 0MB Free lol.
    Take the Storm home with you for the trial period and THEN give an opinion.
    I truly appreciate your take dont take me wrong; i just think giving an opinion on the Demo unit is NOT giving an opinion on the Storm.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    This is on OS .75

a) The Storm is sooo sloooow. I can't believe how long it takes to respond to input. If you try to delete an email it takes forever to respond to Delete. After you've done it once, the command seems to sit in fast memory and subsequent deletes are faster. Then you move to something else and that takes forever.

b) It doesn't always catch the screen clicks. You can highlight something on the screen, like "OK" to perform an action and then click down on OK 4, 5, 6, or more times and it just sits there. You can try the gentle click, the hard click, the slow click, the fast click. It doesn't matter. One time I videoed it taking two minutes and twenty seconds to get to Contacts from the home screen.

c) Its so labor intensive. Things that you used to be able to do with a click and a keyboard shortcut now take four or five steps...because you can't shortcut through menus anymore.

d) Sometimes the entire unit freezes for up to five minutes or more. Sometimes it just goes bonkers, then freezes, and won't ever get out. I took a photo of three overlapping popups that seem like an MC Esher because the boxes all overlap each other and you can't tell which is the topmost popup.

e) Sometimes it won't recognize certain zones on the screen. I tried typing in a 3 as part of a zip code today and no matter what I did it wouldn't recognize 3. I could type in 2 and 5 and 6 and I could even slide the blue active part of the screen around but it would never hover on the 3. Using the media player I wanted to select an album and as I touched the screen I could go to Artist and then Genre but it wouldn't go to the Album line between them. It just skipped right over it no matter how fast or slow I went. Etc.

f) It constantly won't recognize the letter on the keyboard that you are trying to type and picks one above, below, left or right. This is most frustrating when trying to type the letter "l" and instead of typing an "l" it keeps backspacing (selecting the key to the right of "l"). Since my password contains "l" it kept saying incorrect password and I was concerned that the unit was going to eventually wipe itself. I even looked super closely and saw my finger was only on the key I wanted and not touching any surrounding letter and yet it still went to some other letter. I thought it was just me with my adult-sized fingers or else it was the clear plastic sheet on top of the touchscreen. I removed the sheet so it could work better but it wasn't better. My daughter Josette with her diminutive 11-year old hands wasn't faring any better. She has a year and a half experience on the iPod Touch and more recently on the LG Voyager and can whiz around on those so she's obviously very adept at touchscreens. She declared the Storm "stupid."

g) It keeps changing words on you. I expected it to "help" by doing this in Suretype mode but it does it in full keyboard mode too. On one of my emails it changed the word Storm to Toyota and changed words that I was finished typing with unfinished gibberish. At one point I was trying to type the word "type" and every time I got to "t" "y" "p" it moved the cursor back into the middle of the word "changing" and messed that up. I did it three times in a row to verify the action. I could not find a way to turn this off.

h) It has the same 3-wire/4-wire headphone problem as OS 4.5 on the Curve. You can listen to media on headphones but as soon as the phone
    rings you can't hear anything the other party is saying. You have to buy an inline microphone adapter to get 3-wire headphones to work right. On OS 4.3 on the Curve you can just use ordinary 3-wire earbuds and when a call comes in the speakerphone mic on the blackberry comes on and you listen via the earbuds.

i) The GPS in BB Maps is almost as useless as the one on the Curve with OS 4.5. Although on the Storm it could restart and acquire satellites if it was closed down without having any satellites (unlike the Curve with OS 4.5), it sometime just stopped updating the maps and all I had was a red arrow in the middle of a blank screen. I did not try VZ Navigator.

j) It deleted almost a day's worth of email on me. It could have been me but from what I remember I put it in the holster with all of Saturday's email and when I next pulled it out everything between 8:55AM and 9:40PM was gone.

k) The LCD screen appears to have plasmalike burn-in. One time I saw the full-size keyboard appear in the background on a black screen. Another time I saw the OK / Cancel box appear dimly in the background. The third time I saw this I snapped a photo

l) I can't attribute this issue solely to the Storm, but I since BB Maps was behaving so badly I tried Google Maps. It worked better butwhen I slid my finger around to move the map, it went into hyperdrive. We were in central PA this weekend and wanted to verify directions to an event that turned out to be straight down the street (west 4
    miles) with no turns. As I panned to the left, the screen completelychanged and when I zoomed out to see what the area was that it was showing I saw it had moved to Buffalo New York.

After I returned the Storm I was at a theatre and saw a stranger struggling with most of what I already type above. I wish you luck.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt View Post
    This is on OS .75

a) The Storm is sooo sloooow. I can't believe how long it takes to respond to input. If you try to delete an email it takes forever to respond to Delete. After you've done it once, the command seems to sit in fast memory and subsequent deletes are faster. Then you move to something else and that takes forever.

b) It doesn't always catch the screen clicks. You can highlight something on the screen, like "OK" to perform an action and then click down on OK 4, 5, 6, or more times and it just sits there. You can try the gentle click, the hard click, the slow click, the fast click. It doesn't matter. One time I videoed it taking two minutes and twenty seconds to get to Contacts from the home screen.

c) Its so labor intensive. Things that you used to be able to do with a click and a keyboard shortcut now take four or five steps...because you can't shortcut through menus anymore.

d) Sometimes the entire unit freezes for up to five minutes or more. Sometimes it just goes bonkers, then freezes, and won't ever get out. I took a photo of three overlapping popups that seem like an MC Esher because the boxes all overlap each other and you can't tell which is the topmost popup.

e) Sometimes it won't recognize certain zones on the screen. I tried typing in a 3 as part of a zip code today and no matter what I did it wouldn't recognize 3. I could type in 2 and 5 and 6 and I could even slide the blue active part of the screen around but it would never hover on the 3. Using the media player I wanted to select an album and as I touched the screen I could go to Artist and then Genre but it wouldn't go to the Album line between them. It just skipped right over it no matter how fast or slow I went. Etc.

f) It constantly won't recognize the letter on the keyboard that you are trying to type and picks one above, below, left or right. This is most frustrating when trying to type the letter "l" and instead of typing an "l" it keeps backspacing (selecting the key to the right of "l"). Since my password contains "l" it kept saying incorrect password and I was concerned that the unit was going to eventually wipe itself. I even looked super closely and saw my finger was only on the key I wanted and not touching any surrounding letter and yet it still went to some other letter. I thought it was just me with my adult-sized fingers or else it was the clear plastic sheet on top of the touchscreen. I removed the sheet so it could work better but it wasn't better. My daughter Josette with her diminutive 11-year old hands wasn't faring any better. She has a year and a half experience on the iPod Touch and more recently on the LG Voyager and can whiz around on those so she's obviously very adept at touchscreens. She declared the Storm "stupid."

g) It keeps changing words on you. I expected it to "help" by doing this in Suretype mode but it does it in full keyboard mode too. On one of my emails it changed the word Storm to Toyota and changed words that I was finished typing with unfinished gibberish. At one point I was trying to type the word "type" and every time I got to "t" "y" "p" it moved the cursor back into the middle of the word "changing" and messed that up. I did it three times in a row to verify the action. I could not find a way to turn this off.

h) It has the same 3-wire/4-wire headphone problem as OS 4.5 on the Curve. You can listen to media on headphones but as soon as the phone
    rings you can't hear anything the other party is saying. You have to buy an inline microphone adapter to get 3-wire headphones to work right. On OS 4.3 on the Curve you can just use ordinary 3-wire earbuds and when a call comes in the speakerphone mic on the blackberry comes on and you listen via the earbuds.

i) The GPS in BB Maps is almost as useless as the one on the Curve with OS 4.5. Although on the Storm it could restart and acquire satellites if it was closed down without having any satellites (unlike the Curve with OS 4.5), it sometime just stopped updating the maps and all I had was a red arrow in the middle of a blank screen. I did not try VZ Navigator.

j) It deleted almost a day's worth of email on me. It could have been me but from what I remember I put it in the holster with all of Saturday's email and when I next pulled it out everything between 8:55AM and 9:40PM was gone.

k) The LCD screen appears to have plasmalike burn-in. One time I saw the full-size keyboard appear in the background on a black screen. Another time I saw the OK / Cancel box appear dimly in the background. The third time I saw this I snapped a photo

l) I can't attribute this issue solely to the Storm, but I since BB Maps was behaving so badly I tried Google Maps. It worked better butwhen I slid my finger around to move the map, it went into hyperdrive. We were in central PA this weekend and wanted to verify directions to an event that turned out to be straight down the street (west 4
    miles) with no turns. As I panned to the left, the screen completelychanged and when I zoomed out to see what the area was that it was showing I saw it had moved to Buffalo New York.

After I returned the Storm I was at a theatre and saw a stranger struggling with most of what I already type above. I wish you luck.
    CLEARLY defective. Sorry but this has to be the worst DEVICE i have ever read about lol not even BB.

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by bartokbatt View Post
    My daughter Josette with her diminutive 11-year old hands wasn't faring any better. She has a year and a half experience on the iPod Touch and more recently on the LG Voyager and can whiz around on those so she's obviously very adept at touchscreens. She declared the Storm "stupid."
    This says it all. If a Tween/Teen doesn't like it......

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    This says it all. If a Tween/Teen doesn't like it......
    lol
    The Storm definitely has a learning curve.

bartokbatt no está en línea Stack level 4
    I've had about seven blackberries in the past (my first was a monochrome) and I am responsible for about a hundred. There's no way the Storm is getting rolled out unless RIM fixes the issues in a serious way.

PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    lol
    The Storm definitely has a learning curve.
    Oh.... That was punny!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast