Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Originally Posted by jaydee Word around here is GPS will work w/3rd party apps like ... BlackBerry Storm forum

BobcatBomber no está en línea Stack level 2

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
    Word around here is GPS will work w/3rd party apps like Google Maps but VZ Navigator will be $10 a month. Won't know if that's true till release day, but it would be a step in the right direction.

I spoke to a Verizon Rep this evening for about half an hour. She confirmed that the Storm GPS will work with VZ Navigator ($10/mo) and BlackBerry Maps (free). BB Maps is the only application other than VZNav that will have access to the GPS capabilities. This is a change from Verizon's other phones that only worked with their proprietary VZNav application.

It's not a complete victory, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

JjcampNR no está en línea Stack level 3
    Well, if other apps (Google maps, geo-tagging photo apps, etc) can't get access to the GPS that's a deal breaker for me, no way I'd leave ATT for VZW in this case. ATT will eventually get a Storm like device as well as probably the new touch screen / Bold combo device; and their phones have always been unrestricted for built in features like WiFi and GPS. I've been having trouble with my ATT service lately and was considering making a switch for better service with the bonus of a Storm, but I just can't stand carrier imposed limitations on how I can use the hardware I paid for and own.

Kara - Any more details on what to expect from ATT's RIM offerings in 2009? Since the iPhone 3G was released I've had nothing but trouble with my service (calls failing, data slow as hell, more dropping than usual, etc) and I'm fed up with it. Unless they're getting some devices I'm not aware of, I don't see all that much worth sticking around for.
    Device: 8100c / Apps: 4.5.0.69 / Platform: 2.7.0.72

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by JjcampNR View Post
    Well, if other apps (Google maps, geo-tagging photo apps, etc) can't get access to the GPS that's a deal breaker for me, no way I'd leave ATT for VZW
    Kara - Any more details on what to expect from.
    I am currently using Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T. It gives me the flexibility to try a wide variety of BlackBerrys & other smartphones as I wish. However that said, if I was going to reduce from the four lines to just one, it would be AT&T without hesitation. I am not being critical of the others, it's just that AT&T is that much better.
    In fairness to KaraBear, I'm sure she shares what she can & it's up to us to _not_ continue to question her repeatedly. An option we have is to click on her username on the left, choose "find other posts" and you will see everything she has posted. This will keep us as updated as she sees fit.
    Cheers
    sent via BlackBerry

GregGebhardt no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    No Way
    If you have bad service/reception at your house, that, alone, is worth changing to Verizon. Poor reception is horrible.
    Greg
    in Jax, FL

korp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305422EE
    Quote Originally Posted by Karpfish24 View Post
    It should NOT take 30 days, it should take maybe an hour. I ported my number from VZW to ATT last year and I did a little shopping while it was being ported and came back not too long after and it was done. This was for 3 lines all at the same time. Lauren when my sister switched from VZW to ATT for the iphone a few months ago I called when she got the cancellation bill and said that she didn't have service and after a little talking they got rid of the entire cancellation fee. If you try hard enough you should be able to get it down a lot or even thrown away totally. If you say that you switched to another provider(don't say you got the storm) they will probably agree to it because its not like you cancelled just because you didn't want it anymore.
    Ah yeah sorry it took 30 days because my nextel broke so I just switched 30 days short haha. I completely forgot about that.
    Blackberry rocks my world....

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by GregGebhardt View Post
    If you have bad service/reception at your house, that, alone, is worth changing to Verizon. Poor reception is horrible.

I know. I am currently on a family plan with my parents and they want to switch now too. No point on having a phone that you can't use most of the time.

I am just hesitate because I like AT&T a lot and know that when I move out I will want to switch back..
    ~Lauren

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren25 View Post
    I know. I am currently on a family plan with my parents and they want to switch now too. No point on having a phone that you can't use most of the time.

I am just hesitate because I like AT&T a lot and know that when I move out I will want to switch back..
    While it's important to have coverage at home you might check out T-Mobile instead of Verizon. The Storm & other BlackBerrys are coming out in GSM soon. Then you can still have a Storm on T-Mobile & not get stuck with a CDMA phone that only works on Verizon. Plus Verizon is expensive, has very little selection of phones & removes a lot of features on their phones. I would only use them as a last resort. If for some reason you do not like the storm T-Mobile will have many other BlackBerrys to choose from compared to Verizon. I'm simply sharing my personal experience with Verizon, not bashing them.
    sent via BlackBerry

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Tmob also has a plan addition (I think it's $5-10/month, not sure) that allows you to talk all you want via Wifi at home, maybe elsewhere. That way you don't use up minutes on your voice plan. I don't think anyone else has that, they all still use the old 90's "anytime minutes" with free weekends schtick. Tmob even has a 1000 min/month plan for $40.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    I'm just gonna wait until the start selling Unlocked Storms. Then I'm pick me one of those up.

~via BB Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    In fairness to KaraBear, I'm sure she shares what she can & it's up to us to _not_ continue to question her repeatedly.
    I was not trying to pester for unreleased details, but rather just get a general feel for what the wireless companies were going to be looking for next year, specifically AT&T vs. Verizon. I don't want anyone violating NDA's, starting rumors, etc., all I was looking for was any public industry knowledge of perhaps different focal points for VZW and AT&T in 2009.

Since I'm out of contract and thinking of making a switch, I was figuring if (for example) AT&T was going to be focusing on Apple's devices and adding value add services to enhance the features of the iPhone, where as VZW was going to push the Storm and other Blackberry products/features to compete, it might help me make that decision more easily.

I don't think it'll be an easy decision in any case, I'm guessing it's going to have to be a hands on thing before I decide if it's really worth jumping or not. Thanks to Kara for the information she's provided to date, we all greatly appreciate it.

Another question.

Is there something I could purchase from AT&T or that would work with AT&T to boost my service just in my house?
    If there is, is it a one time fee or how does that work?
    ~Lauren

guruleenyc no está en línea Stack level 2
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~ Unles you can get your employer pay for it. Then you just have to worry about migrating all your apps everytime ;-)

I'm not sure what you mean guruleenyc..
    ~Lauren

You could look at some devices like these, just make sure the one you get works with AT&T:

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Exten.../dp/B000E14G7S

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=3268769

Thanks jj.. wow these are expensive. The first one says that it works with Cingular, so I'm hoping it would work with AT&T.. and the second doesn't say.

How well do these work? Would it help me get the EDGE signal or 3G if I buy the Bold in my house?
    ~Lauren

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast