Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

I am currently an AT&T customer. I love AT&T but I don't get good reception ... BlackBerry Storm forum

lauren25 no está en línea Stack level 5

Thinking of making the switch to Verizon for Storm

Advertisement

I am currently an AT&T customer. I love AT&T but I don't get good reception in my house so I feel like I am paying for a BB plan that I can't use 50% of the time. I wanted to get the Bold, but I don't think I will for this reason.

I am currently on a family plan with my parents on AT&T. I want to get off of that family plan and get a single plan on Verizon. I want to purchase the Storm when it comes out.

For Verizon customers... Do you think the Storm will have free GPS use? How fast is their network for BB browsing? I know nothing about Verizon except that it works well in my house and my area. I live in Northern California.

I was wondering if I would be able to keep my cell phone number? And if I do get to keep the same number and want to switch back to AT&T would I be able to still keep the same number? Also, does anyone know the penalty for me getting off of the family plan before the contract is over? ( I am going to contact AT&T to get this information, I just want your guys opinion or from your first hand experience.)

Any information would be great. Thanks!
    ~Lauren

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    Im in the exact same case you are lol im with Rogers and REALLY thinking of switching to Bell or Telus for the Storm as Its really tempting me.
    I dont know how it works in the USA but in Canada you can definitely port your number over from one carrier to another and it takes 1.30hour before the port is complete and thats it the number is still yours and you can switch it back afterwards.
    But as you mentioned you'll be paying a ECF (early cancellation fee) every time you do it.

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f
    The fee should be about $170, sometimes it is less if you are within a certain amount of time of the end of your contract. You will be able to take your number with you to verizon, and the back to ATT if you wish. I doubt the GPS will be free. Judging from VZW in the past it will cost $10 a month for the VZ Navigator package which enables the GPS.

rcd213 no está en línea Stack level 2
    Like was said earlier, gps is $10. In terms of speed, verizon is known for having the much more reliable network. I live in nyc and I have and 8330 on VZW and my friend has a bold. When he has 3G, his internet is slightly faster, however 3G for att is spotty at best. Also, the storm is Rev a, which is intrinsically fast than my curve which is Rev 0. Hope this helps. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

korp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305422EE
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren25 View Post
    I am currently an AT&T customer. I love AT&T but I don't get good reception in my house so I feel like I am paying for a BB plan that I can't use 50% of the time. I wanted to get the Bold, but I don't think I will for this reason.

I am currently on a family plan with my parents on AT&T. I want to get off of that family plan and get a single plan on Verizon. I want to purchase the Storm when it comes out.

For Verizon customers... Do you think the Storm will have free GPS use? How fast is their network for BB browsing? I know nothing about Verizon except that it works well in my house and my area. I live in Northern California.

I was wondering if I would be able to keep my cell phone number? And if I do get to keep the same number and want to switch back to AT&T would I be able to still keep the same number? Also, does anyone know the penalty for me getting off of the family plan before the contract is over? ( I am going to contact AT&T to get this information, I just want your guys opinion or from your first hand experience.)

To get off the plan its probably around $200, gps is not free, the internet is pretty good speed probably about 99% of the time and I would assume with the storm it will be even better. For your number its called like forwarding or something but it requires your current service to be cancelled and once they confirm that it takes about 30 days for it to be switched .... and yes you could use the number if you went back to att but same deal I'm sure.
    Blackberry rocks my world....

jaydee no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by rcd213 View Post
    Like was said earlier, gps is $10. In terms of speed, verizon is known for having the much more reliable network. I live in nyc and I have and 8330 on VZW and my friend has a bold. When he has 3G, his internet is slightly faster, however 3G for att is spotty at best. Also, the storm is Rev a, which is intrinsically fast than my curve which is Rev 0. Hope this helps. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Word around here is GPS will work w/3rd party apps like Google Maps but VZ Navigator will be $10 a month. Won't know if that's true till release day, but it would be a step in the right direction.

Thanks for the replies.
    I spoke with AT&T and they said that it would be $170 to get off my family plan. They said that since I don't have service at my house they could transfer me another department and they would be able to lower the fee.

Korp I don't believe that it takes 30 days for my number to be ported. That seems like way too long.. And AT&T said that porting is free.

GPS not being free doesn't make any sense to me. No other carrier does that..Hopefully with the Storm it will be free.

If I can get the cancellation price down I just might make the switch. I am tired of not being able to use my BB at home..

Thanks again for the responses!!
    ~Lauren

jfLip no está en línea Stack level 1
    I'm in the same situation as you...

Can someone give a breakdown of Verizon plans? Single user. How much is a data/texting? Sorry I don't know much about their service. Please enlighten me!

Thanks in advance.

korp no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    305422EE
    Thats from my experience lauren ... I transferred from nextel to verizon (last december) and it took 30 days for me to retain my old number and they give you a temp number obviously. Yeah it doesn't cost anything to do it except time.

The blackberry data plan is about $20 for unlimited internet and then texting is between $10-15 for unlimited texting. Couldn't tell you what the lower prices are though.
    Blackberry rocks my world....

Karpfish24 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    243fd52f
    It should NOT take 30 days, it should take maybe an hour. I ported my number from VZW to ATT last year and I did a little shopping while it was being ported and came back not too long after and it was done. This was for 3 lines all at the same time. Lauren when my sister switched from VZW to ATT for the iphone a few months ago I called when she got the cancellation bill and said that she didn't have service and after a little talking they got rid of the entire cancellation fee. If you try hard enough you should be able to get it down a lot or even thrown away totally. If you say that you switched to another provider(don't say you got the storm) they will probably agree to it because its not like you cancelled just because you didn't want it anymore.

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    Well if you do decide to make the switch, make a post for us Bold users in the future with your personal findings ^_^ and good luck

Thanks guys. And I'll keep you posted. If I make the switch it would be in the next couple weeks.
    ~Lauren

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren25 View Post

Personally I wouldn't switch if I were you. One being that I know what AT&T is getting in 2009. Second, different carriers always get a new cool device. Say you switch to Verizon for the Storm. Then in 6-8 months AT&T comes out with something much better than the Storm you'll be kicking yourself in the butt. Then in a few more months, Verizon will have a newer device and it's a vicious cycle. But it's your money and your decision. I will say that GSM carriers are getting some really great devices from RIM in 2009. Good luck either way.

As I said before. I would actually want to get the Bold. I am only deciding to get the Storm because AT&T doesn't have service at my house and Verizon does.

I don't want to pay for a BB plan that I can't use 50% of the time.
    ~Lauren

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    Quote Originally Posted by KaraBear View Post
    Personally I wouldn't switch if I were you. One being that I know what AT&T is getting in 2009. Second, different carriers always get a new cool device. Say you switch to Verizon for the Storm. Then in 6-8 months AT&T comes out with something much better than the Storm you'll be kicking yourself in the butt. Then in a few more months, Verizon will have a newer device and it's a vicious cycle. But it's your money and your decision. I will say that GSM carriers are getting some really great devices from RIM in 2009. Good luck either way.
    I agree with KaraBear, switching carriers should only be done, if you made a mistake and do not get good coverage with your present carrier. The very first thing I advise anyone of, is to choose the carrier first, and the phone second.

As far as upcoming phones, KaraBear is our resident expert.

Speaking for myself, when KaraBear Speaks.... I listen VERY carefully....

And plan accordingly... Thanks KB ~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast