I've tried a a few of the bold themes from the site and I have ... BlackBerry Storm forum

mavericmechanik no está en línea Stack level 2

Theme Issue on Bold

Advertisement

I've tried a a few of the bold themes from the site and I have noticed that even if not using the themes, my system memory plumits as if there is a memory leak somewhere. If I uninstall the themes then things go back to normal. Does anyone know why this may be happening, or how to fix this? The themes are all from different makers so I don't know what may be causing it to happen.

mac14x no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    217a1629
    Try updating the OS, it fixes alot of the issues, especially memory leaks i recommend 4.6.0.185 since its the latest one
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

I cant seem to find the new firmware online, I have the latest from att, the thing is that when i stick to the preloaded themes, im all good with no issues, its only when i use other themes. I dont know whether the themes that i have tried so far are bad or if there is an issue with bold themes right now

PIN/ID
    217a1629
    Here is the link for 4.6.0.185

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...190CAAD5802983

and here is a guide how to update ur OS:

http://blackberryforums.pinstack.com...lackberry-929/

i dont think there would be anything wrong with the themes, but after updating to the newer OS, if this keep continuing, take your bold to your provider and try to exchange it if ur still in the 30 day warranty, but rmr downgrade ur OS to the official att OS if ur gonna exhange it, sumtimes they have a problem if u update your software to a diff provider than them, that was a case with me, i updated my pearl to a diff os than atts and they wouldnt want to exchange it for me so i had to go downgrade it and go to them again.
    ~90 people get the swine flu and everyone is wearing face masks. Millions of people have AIDS but no one wears condoms...

Well I tried the new os and I'm still getting the leak on themes. The only one I tried so far is the checkmate II and I still have the leak. Any ideas? Thanks for your help
    ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    I just tried CheckmateII and no problems. If any would cause leaks I would think it would be my themes, but they are fine too.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

I wonder then what is causing the leak, is there a possibility that the theme is conflicting with something? I reallt like a lot of the themes here I'm just afraid to try them because of the issues that may arize from using them.

PIN/ID
    217a1629
    I dont think any 3rd party app would cause anything, but im not sure tho. I would take ur bold back to att, alot of att bolds have problems...

evopro311 no está en línea Stack level 1

Question

I seem to be having the same situation going on. It doesn't really seem to be negatively effecting my experience with the Bold so far. However, i find it to be quite annoying.

Here is the rate my memory is dropping at...

12:22 35388701 bytes
    12:45 32448033 bytes (only text being sent during this time, no data)

Overnight with my bold not being used at all...

10:52 30516257
    HARD RESET
    10:59 36580121 (post hard reset)
    11:54 34491465 (one text sent and one call made during this period)

My memory continues to drop at a similar rate to this regardless of how much i use it or dont use it. Although, i should mention that it has never dropped to the point where the device is unusable and every time i do a battery pull it seems to jump right back to its normal level.

Is this just normal usage and nothing i should be alarmed about? or something else?

By the way...I did have checkmate II theme loaded at one point and then i read this post and removed it. I have not seen a change in the rate of my memory dropping with or without checkmate II loaded (which definitely means i will re-load it because it is awesome!)

Any help or advice would be great! I feel like i may just be acting paranoid about all this. However, after paying the ticket price on this bad boy a little paranoia might be ok.

Thanks in advance.

I noticed a slight drop even after removing checkmate II. So I put it back on. My biggest drop is with using the precision default today plus themes. Otherwise with just checkmate II my memory drop is similar to evopros drop, so I'm sure its the same issue for us both.

I'm not so convinced that it is an "issue". Themes like checkmate II and today plus themes use a lot of icons and have some unique features that are not on other, older themes.

It could be that these more complicated themes just use more memory to run them.

Just a hypothesis, i work for AT&T and i have spent a decent amount of time researching any known memory leaks for the Bold and i've come up with nothing.

Kinda leads me to think that the Bold just uses more memory to operate daily functions. Also, these more complex themes may increase the amount of memory needed.

Still wish i had a for sure answer though...

Opinions anyone?

Yea I guess that makes sense, some themes may have issues but I guess these nice themes use a lot more memory. I guess us bold owners will just have to keep a watchful eye on our memory. It does make me feel a little better that att does not acknowledge a leak, so there very well may not be one in a factory theme setting.

Im gunna post this again though to see if there is anyone else out there who has noticed this or has any input on it.