Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I was more excited about the Storm than any other Blackberry release that I can ... BlackBerry Storm forum

Seanmtx no está en línea Stack level 2

That's It...I'm Done

Advertisement

I was more excited about the Storm than any other Blackberry release that I can remember. I started on a 7530, and talked my local Verizon to letting me buy an 8830 a few days before they were released a couple of years ago.

This time, I had Verizon FedEx me a Storm and I got it before 9am on Sat after it was released on Friday.

What a piece of junk. I hated the .65 OS and the update to .75 didn't do a damn thing to fix the slow landscape to portrait (or vice versa) transition, the random freezes, the inability to actually answer an incoming call, the HORRIBLE typing in either portrait or landscape mode, and the overall slowness of the system.

My 8830 had maps and GPS without having to subscribe to Navigator (at least it would tell me directions and show a map)...this POS Storm won't show a map or directions without me buying the Navigator service. Forget that.

The only thing about the Storm that functioned well and was a signifigant upgrade from the 8830 is the browser. Webpages look like real webpages and navigation is much easier.

So, I called verizon and had them send me a refurb 8830 to replace this very disappointing Storm. I'll be putting this on Ebay for someone to pickup before Christmas.

Is anyone else as disappointed as I am with the Storm?? Did I just get a bad one, or are they all this bad??

DeadsetAce no está en línea Stack level 1
    mine has had some glitches as well, but coming from the chocolate, this has been a HUGE upgrade. i am real happy with mine so far, only cause my other phone was horrible.

hitdog042 no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanmtx View Post
    I was more excited about the Storm than any other Blackberry release that I can remember. I started on a 7530, and talked my local Verizon to letting me buy an 8830 a few days before they were released a couple of years ago.

This time, I had Verizon FedEx me a Storm and I got it before 9am on Sat after it was released on Friday.

What a piece of junk. I hated the .65 OS and the update to .75 didn't do a damn thing to fix the slow landscape to portrait (or vice versa) transition, the random freezes, the inability to actually answer an incoming call, the HORRIBLE typing in either portrait or landscape mode, and the overall slowness of the system.

My 8830 had maps and GPS without having to subscribe to Navigator (at least it would tell me directions and show a map)...this POS Storm won't show a map or directions without me buying the Navigator service. Forget that.

The only thing about the Storm that functioned well and was a signifigant upgrade from the 8830 is the browser. Webpages look like real webpages and navigation is much easier.

So, I called verizon and had them send me a refurb 8830 to replace this very disappointing Storm. I'll be putting this on Ebay for someone to pickup before Christmas.

Is anyone else as disappointed as I am with the Storm?? Did I just get a bad one, or are they all this bad??
    I had many of the same issues you describe. However, my wife's storm works just fine, so they are sending me a new one this week.

Thing is, I left TMO and was perfectly happy there. I'm going to give this a shot, but I may bolt back to TMO if I get more of the same

andrew.peron no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3029AA4B
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanmtx View Post

First off, I understand your frustration. We all want devices to work as they should right out of the box. But consider this:
    The Storm is the FIRST touchscreen Blackberry. It's also the first with an accelerometer. It's a bit of a different ballgame than other Blackberries, which all have shared the same form factor, input types, etc. The only thing RIM had to compensate for when they built the Bold was a bigger screen and a 3G radio. So there are going to be alot of bugs initially for the device, but give it time. It's obvious that RIM is working hard to fix the problems people are having, as there have already been 3 iterations of the device software in a little over a month. I'm sure as more problems are discovered, and more things are fixed, the Storm will become much more like a traditional Blackberry in terms of reliability.

Secondly, about the GPS, you can absolutely look at maps anytime you want, for free, using the Blackberry Maps application, which should have come preinstalled on your Storm. This also works with the GPS, and includes local searching and directions.

So be patient, and I have every confidence good things will come very soon.

I don't have Blackbery Maps installed on mine. I only have Navigator, and while that looks really good, I'm a bit miffed that I had GPS, maps and written directions on the 8830 without having to pay for Navigator.

The bugs in the system are one thing, and frankly are a killer for me regardless of other issues, but I'm not sure I can ever get used to the keyboards. Neither one works for me at all. It takes me many, many times longer to type on the full keyboard than it ever has on a BB with actual keys on the keyboard.

I've described my problems in more detail on the 'Your Storm Experience' thread.
    Bottom line, I'm extremely disappointed and am replacing it with a downgrade. 4 weeks is enough of a trial from my perspective.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    feel better? i'm glad you got a BB you can be happy with
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

DeadsetAce no está en línea Stack level 1
    oh i think anyone used to a normal BB is going to hate typing on a storm. i can't see them finding a touch screen easier.

i find the touch screen great tho compared to my old LG.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    feel better? i'm glad you got a BB you can be happy with

Yeah...venting makes me feel a bit better!!

clarkkent51ny no está en línea Themes Pro
    PIN/ID
    305DA705
    I still think my 8330 curve is the best phone I ever used!!

¤ Via Curvelicious ¤

raton no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    7BF68784

Totally agree

Quote Originally Posted by clarkkent51ny View Post

¤ Via Curvelicious ¤
    My sentiments exactly. I too was stoked when I first read about the Storm but thank goodness I didn't go for it. Besides, why replace something that's not broken in this case my mighty 8310. Oh and the upgrade 4.5 makes it even mightier. I'm sorry you didn't have any luck with the Storm. I read so many stories already and boy do I feel like to also have stuck with my curve. I hope you get it sorted out.

thymaster no está en línea Stack level 3
    Sorry to hear that. I have had great success with my storm. Mind came with the update preinstalled. Coming from the curve the browser and screen is a huge bonus. I love the option to use 2 type of keyboards. I use the sure the sure type more because I miss the old t9 days since I got a curve. The speaker is amazingly loud and clear. I've been showing off my new toy week and I've got nothing but envy in peoples eyes. ~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

labevlol no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    BREEEEEE
    How much you interested in for the storm?via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sirthinks no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    2831A313
    Quote Originally Posted by clarkkent51ny View Post

¤ Via Curvelicious ¤
    Loved my Curve.... Really loved my Bold.... Now I am completely GAGA over my 8900!!

The Storm came and went at Telus and I didn't even stop by to see it.
    If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. - Carl Sagan

hazzmatte no está en línea Stack level 2
    This phone has it nitch market. If you are a diehard e mailer then touch screen might not be for you. Either would the iphone for that matter. Personally, my handset has performed well but has not completly lived up to all my expectations. I am holding out for better updates. Also, the applications coming down the road should be the best you can get for any blackberry.

kane no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    i have been a blackberry user for years i actually took the time to get a second line for the storm and i did then and still do hate it i hear the argument first generation and im by no means a apple fan but the reason the iphone is so great a touch screen phone is because it simply is in spite of its flaws i typed much better on a first generation iphone then a storm at the end of the day a blackberry with no keyboard is as asinine as a iphone with a keyboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast