Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Originally Posted by planneau Actually the storm is a GSM device, hence 9530. Verizon will ... BlackBerry Storm forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by planneau View Post
    Actually the storm is a GSM device, hence 9530. Verizon will be getting the 9530 the GSM, 3g, and EDGE version.

http://www.blackberry.com/blackberry...features.shtml
    Thanks for correcting me, I had not seen the link you posted. This is a really smart move on RIM's part for the first time (to the best of my knowledge) a phone that runs on either GSM or CDMA. The more I learn about this the more likely I am to try one. Previously where I had no interest in touch screen, which was further exacerbated by my poor experience with a 3G iPhone, it appears that the Haptics technology in the touch screen of the Storm is a true game changer. To be able to "feel" or have a tactile indication of a successful "key press" is brilliant. Based on the information I have read on the Storm just today, I think this model is going to be the beginning of a very successful line of touch screen devices for RIM. After all, this being the first generation, it's bound to provide RIM with plenty of ideas for improvements and advancements for the 2nd gen device.

rand0m no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by uscgamecock2001 View Post
    I spoke to a t-mobile rep last night and she indicated they did not have plans for the Storm (or the Bold for that matter). My question to her (and to anyone here, really) is: can you buy a Storm (or any bb device that your carrier doesn't have) from another source (be it a store or online) and take that bb into your carrier and have it work on their network? The t-mobile rep seemed to think you could so long as the device was GSM. Is this correct?
    if you look @ planneau comment before yours, it mentions that the Storm is a CDMA global device that also offers GSM and HSPA all in one.

that just means the phone would work on those networks when abroad.. but since it doesnt take SIM cards, that's the issue us Tmo & ATT customers have a problem with.

I'd hope RIM would make it available down the line with added features for the other carriers but for now, i'll settle for the Javelin as soon as it reaches tmo.

KaraBear no está en línea Stack level 3
    Quote Originally Posted by rand0m View Post
    if you look @ planneau comment before yours, it mentions that the Storm is a CDMA global device that also offers GSM and HSPA all in one.

that just means the phone would work on those networks when abroad.. but since it doesnt take SIM cards, that's the issue us Tmo & ATT customers have a problem with.

I'd hope RIM would make it available down the line with added features for the other carriers but for now, i'll settle for the Javelin as soon as it reaches tmo.
    No, both the Storm 9530 & 9500 have SIM cards. The 9500 is a all GSM device. While the 9530 is CDMA and has quad band GSM. So the question remains is if Verizon will block the 850/1900MHZ bands. If not the the 9530 from Verizon will work on Rogers, AT&T, and T-Mobile. It will not however work on their 3G networks.

Quote Originally Posted by KaraBear View Post
    No, both the Storm 9530 & 9500 have SIM cards. The 9500 is a all GSM device. While the 9530 is CDMA and has quad band GSM. So the question remains is if Verizon will block the 850/1900MHZ bands. If not the the 9530 from Verizon will work on Rogers, AT&T, and T-Mobile. It will not however work on their 3G networks.
    I took a quick look at the limited specs that RIM reveals on its site regarding the Storm. They list both CDMA & GSM frequencies. If indeed there is just one Storm & it includes all frequencies in one unit, then it will run on any network in the world. And it will run at 3G speeds on the GSM frequencies. The only difference is AT&T's 3G is 1800, whereas T-Mobiles is 1700. Thus the term Quadband which is 850/900 1700/1800 all phones with quadband circuits will operate anywhere on GSM. I have many unbranded/unlocked quadband 3G phones that work just fine on either my AT&T line or my T-Mobile line. In fact that's the one reason I terminated my account with Verizon a few years ago. They had bad reception & CDMA which was worthless. I could not use the phone when in the UK. Now every phone I own is GSM & will work no matter where in the world I travel to. I will never own a CDMA phone again.

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    I took a quick look at the limited specs that RIM reveals on its site regarding the Storm. They list both CDMA & GSM frequencies. If indeed there is just one Storm & it includes all frequencies in one unit, then it will run on any network in the world. And it will run at 3G speeds on the GSM frequencies. The only difference is AT&T's 3G is 1800, whereas T-Mobiles is 1700. Thus the term Quadband which is 850/900 1700/1800 all phones with quadband circuits will operate anywhere on GSM. I have many unbranded/unlocked quadband 3G phones that work just fine on either my AT&T line or my T-Mobile line. In fact that's the one reason I terminated my account with Verizon a few years ago. They had bad reception & CDMA which was worthless. I could not use the phone when in the UK. Now every phone I own is GSM & will work no matter where in the world I travel to. I will never own a CDMA phone again.
    No neither the 9530 nor the 9500 will work on Rogers or AT&T's 3G networks. Rogers & AT&T 3G networks use 850/1900MHZ. While T-Mobile uses 1700MHz. the 9530 has 800/1900MHz CDMA Rev A networks and has Quadband 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE and it's HSPA band is 2100MHz only.
    The 9500 is Quadband 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM/GPRS/EDGE and it's HSPA is 2100MHZ also. So neither one will work on 3G networks in North America. 2100MHZ is European 3G only.
    There has been spyshots of a triband 3G 9500 but it looks as though it was blocked/left out.

. Rogers & AT&T 3G networks use 850/1900MHZ..
    Yes- thanks for correcting me. In haste I failed to proof read what I had typed. 1900 is indeed the Rogers / AT&T 3G band.

sent via BlackBerry

Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Yes- thanks for correcting me. In haste I failed to proof read what I had typed. 1900 is indeed the Rogers / AT&T 3G band.

sent via BlackBerry
    No problem. It gets confusing at times. The bad thing of it all is, there are DEFINITELY spy shots of a job-aid that show a GSM only 9500 with Quadband GSM and Triband HSPA that would work with Rogers and AT&T. Obviously someone didn't want that.

pmarshall no está en línea Stack Professional
    I got a quick question..I just called tmo and the guy told me tmo uses 2100 for their 3g....article above states tmo uses 1700...there gsm/edge is 850/900/1800/1900 which is what both tmo rep and Kara say...I'm def! Not saying ur wrong by no means..but simply sayuing this is all so confusing lol..I'm sure many will agree..all I wanna do is buy a STORM and use it on tmo..3g or no 3g lol..3g has never fully impressed me to much over edge so I can live withought it lol..

Quote Originally Posted by pmarshall View Post
    I got a quick question..I just called tmo and the guy told me tmo uses 2100 for their 3g....article above states tmo uses 1700...there gsm/edge is 850/900/1800/1900 which is what both tmo rep and Kara say...I'm def! Not saying ur wrong by no means..but simply sayuing this is all so confusing lol..I'm sure many will agree..all I wanna do is buy a STORM and use it on tmo..3g or no 3g lol..3g has never fully impressed me to much over edge so I can live withought it lol..
    This goes to show how much "reps" don't know. T-Mobile uses 1700MHz AWS for it's 3G Network. The 2100MHz band T-Mobile uses for it's 3G downlink is AWS and is not the same 2100MHz UMTS that is found in Europe.
    The bottom line is that neither the 9530 nor the 9500 will work on Rogers, AT&T or T-Mobile's 3G Networks. If you want a Storm get the 9500 from Vodafone and you can use it on T-Mo's EDGE network.

uscgamecock2001 no está en línea Stack level 1
    This goes to show how much "reps" don't know. T-Mobile uses 1700MHz AWS for it's 3G Network. The 2100MHz band T-Mobile uses for it's 3G downlink is AWS and is not the same 2100MHz UMTS that is found in Europe.
    The bottom line is that neither the 9530 nor the 9500 will work on Rogers, AT&T or T-Mobile's 3G Networks. If you want a Storm get the 9500 from Vodafone and you can use it on T-Mo's EDGE network.
    Kara, first of all, I apologize for sounding like a moron about this, but if, like pmarshall above, all I wanted to do was to have a Storm and use it on t-mobile, are you saying I can just buy one (version 9500 I assume?) and take it into a t-mobile store and have them activate it, or would it require me to "unlock" the phone first? If so, what exactly do you have to do to unlock a phone so it will work on another network - it sounds complicated for people like me who don't know much about the inner workings of a cell phone. Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info!! And finally putting it DOWN lol..CS doesn't know much ore than what's printed on the side of the box haha..to an extent anyway. So if I get the vodaphone storm I can use it on to AND get tmo 3G also if its in my area? Correct me if I'm wrong.

TheBigNewt no está en línea Stack level 3
    Usually your carrier will unlock phones that you get from them so you can use them overseas (if you've been with them a year or so). They may not unlock, say, a Vodaphone Storm. But you can pay people online for a code that will unlock it then put your SIM in and you're good to go. But it's better to buy the phone unlocked for more money. I think a lot of people bought unlocked Bolds from Rogers Canada and got ATT to connect them and install the stuff to make them work.
    BB Pearl, Seidio rubberized case.

blacktouch007 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    7B30C2E9
    i just want to know where i can get an unlocked strom. people make things more complicated than they need to be. lol

As soon as voda's comes out its mine!! I got a buddy goin to germany and gonna bring back a few for me..cant wait! Lol

PhxBlue no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    NO!
    Just remeber that its a no wifi phone so if you do unlock it to T-mo or ATT its going to be Edge only. NO WIFI for fast data.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast