Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is the Storm the most disappointing BlackBerry ever? Starting a new thread from a response ... BlackBerry Storm forum

DarkScribe no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID

Storm not a real BlackBerry?

Advertisement

Is the Storm the most disappointing BlackBerry ever?

Starting a new thread from a response in another thread. Curious as to how many feel the same way as I do.

The Storm is a great phone in many respects with a few extremely annoying failings. It is really irritating that you can't turn the auto rotate off, often when you simply move it will rotate and you have to wait for it to come back. That alone is almost enough to make me chuck it and go to another model. I am forever waiting for the damn thing to sort its orientation out before I can continue.

The other, is that I am finding some web sites that load so slowly that I can make and drink a coffee while a site that would load on a laptop or even a previous model BlackBerry in seconds - takes minutes. Usually a Microsoft Server controlled site, always for webmail. I have tried various browser configurations but no change in load speed. An older BlackBerry on GPRS loads faster than the Storm on 3G on these sites, although the site administrator says that is ok when using the Enterprise Server. These are simply company Webmail sites using Microsoft sever and outlook.

I really doubt that I will keep this phone, it is continually infuriating me. All previous BlackBerries I have loved.

Regardless of how many people make "it takes a bit of getting used to but touch screen 'click' typing is great" noises, it isn't and it never will be. It can never match a keyboard, it can't even come close. My typing rate has dropped to about half while my typing frustration rate has trebled. It might appeal to the iPhone oriented, but it ISN'T a serious business tool it is a pretend iPhone. I am a journalist, not a teenage gadget aficionado and I can't afford the time and messing about that is involved with this phone. I can sent text faster on a Pearl than the Storm, and the Pearl does not have the orientation problems. Unfortunately the Pearl also does not have 3G and a larger screen - the only reason I went for the Storm.

My biggest beef is that that this is a personal phone, not company supplied (I like autonomy with my equipment) and I will have to buy a new one, wasting close to au$1000 as I cannot return it after seven days have elapsed. When a person upgrades a BlackBerry it is not unreasonable to expect an improved version. With BlackBerry, that should mean better productivity, not one that is less productive but more competitive with a 'trendy' phone. RIM seems to be trying to appeal to too many markets - they might lose their primary market if they don't take care.
    Last edited by DarkScribe; 02-05-2009 at 04:24 AM.

Berryadict no está en línea Stack level 7
    Shouldn't be hard to sell it. Try an 8900, I've heard they're great! Be happy

BradBlick no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    304F1CE0
    Try updating your OS. My browser is lightning fast, screen orientation changes quite fast, typing is even much more responsive, albeit nowhere near physical keyboard obviously..

The only draw back is that these leaked OS's are not "Official" releases.

Read some of the beta discussion threads and see what you think!

vince1 no está en línea Community Pro
    PIN/ID
    Stack
    They have the Bold and 8900 for the main market. The storm is not going to suit everyone but is a great phone. Rim needed the storm as Apple are coming up fast in the smartphone sector and making a fortune also. If u want a traditional bb get the bold.
    I find it hard to understand all the hate for the storm. Rim are trying something new. Maybe they should have not updated the bb to color screen, memory cards and such like. Any company that does not try something new will die.
    ~via smartphone~

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    I love my Storm! Aside from occasional issues, it was totally worth it.
    ~via smartphone~

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    The issue is twofold. First many traditional full qwerty BlackBerry lovers tend to resist change, like so many other consumers. And second, RIM did such a poor job with the original OS, that the Storm simply got off to a bad start. When the Storm was first released I got two bad ones in a row. So I returned them. Then just days ago I tried again and the new one is fine.

~via BlackBerry Smartphone~
    Last edited by archer6; 02-05-2009 at 07:08 AM.

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Is the Storm the most disappointing BlackBerry ever?

Starting a new thread from a response in another thread. Curious as to how many feel the same way as I do.

The Storm is a great phone in many respects with a few extremely annoying failings. It is really irritating that you can't turn the auto rotate off, often when you simply move it will rotate and you have to wait for it to come back. That alone is almost enough to make me chuck it and go to another model. I am forever waiting for the damn thing to sort its orientation out before I can continue.

The other, is that I am finding some web sites that load so slowly that I can make and drink a coffee while a site that would load on a laptop or even a previous model BlackBerry in seconds - takes minutes. Usually a Microsoft Server controlled site, always for webmail. I have tried various browser configurations but no change in load speed. An older BlackBerry on GPRS loads faster than the Storm on 3G on these sites, although the site administrator says that is ok when using the Enterprise Server. These are simply company Webmail sites using Microsoft sever and outlook.

I really doubt that I will keep this phone, it is continually infuriating me. All previous BlackBerries I have loved.

Regardless of how many people make "it takes a bit of getting used to but touch screen 'click' typing is great" noises, it isn't and it never will be. It can never match a keyboard, it can't even come close. My typing rate has dropped to about half while my typing frustration rate has trebled. It might appeal to the iPhone oriented, but it ISN'T a serious business tool it is a pretend iPhone. I am a journalist, not a teenage gadget aficionado and I can't afford the time and messing about that is involved with this phone. I can sent text faster on a Pearl than the Storm, and the Pearl does not have the orientation problems. Unfortunately the Pearl also does not have 3G and a larger screen - the only reason I went for the Storm.

My biggest beef is that that this is a personal phone, not company supplied (I like autonomy with my equipment) and I will have to buy a new one, wasting close to au$1000 as I cannot return it after seven days have elapsed. When a person upgrades a BlackBerry it is not unreasonable to expect an improved version. With BlackBerry, that should mean better productivity, not one that is less productive but more competitive with a 'trendy' phone. RIM seems to be trying to appeal to too many markets - they might lose their primary market if they don't take care.
    great post. thanks for contributing
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

hatch.duffy no está en línea Stack level 1
    DarkScribe it's unfortunate that the storm does not work for you. I've had mine since it's release day, and albeit the original OS sucked, but I am on my 7th OS upgrade (all unofficial except for .75) and with each one my storm has improved. Running 4.7.0.99 right now and my phone is lightning fast even when running a huge number of apps. I will admit that yes the click screen was a good idea, and I even like it for like selecting menu items, links, etc. But in one case I have to agree with you is that my typing has severly slowed down, and not because i 'm not used to the click screen; I'm so used to it that I type faster than the screen can actually rebound. I'm really looking for them to offer the option to disable it while typing.

But alas, you must get a blackberry that works for you. I wouldn't say that storm is "not a real blackberry" because there are several people who are pleased with it. It's a market that RIM had to venture into else Apple, now Palm, and others would have left them in the dust. By the time the next storm II arrives maybe you will try it again!

Aleksrussian no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30546CA8
    Lmao!! Cat

Charlie Hustle no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    skdck
    i have a better idea.. Give it to me!!! And ill inherit your problems.

HeavyComponent no está en línea Stack level 6
    PIN/ID
    TP2 :D
    Most def. not the most disappointing Blackberry every! I had my chance to try out the Storm when my cousin bought it and it was great. It had its bugs but once I updated the OS for her it was perfect. I rather have a storm then my 8900.

---
    T-Mobile Curve 8900 - 4.6.1.144 BETA
    T-Mobile Pearl 8220 Flip - 4.6.0.222
    [heavycomponents3@aim.com]

Now a days the new name for "cell phone" is "Blackberry"!

--HeavyC.
    ~via smartphone~

Erievon no está en línea Awaiting email verification
    PIN/ID
    Ask
    The simple fact is, this post is all relative to DarkScribe. The Storm is clearly not for him, and thus is dissapointing to him. Not every blackberry is a perfect fit for every person, this is why they make multiple models. So when you say "The most dissapointing Blackberry ever" the words "It's not the right phone for me, and I'm dissapointed that I chose the wrong phone" should be substituted. It just didn't work out for you. Sure the phone has it's glitches, but your issues go a little deeper, and the form factor itself seems to be a big issue for you. For example, the orientation issue. If I had to activate orientation every time I turned the darn thing, I'd be pretty upset.

To draw a parallel, I drive an F150. If you live in a large city with lots of very tight places, my truck just won't work for you. You need a small car, or at most a smallish SUV or mini-truck. Does that make the F150 dissapointing? Only to you, because it doesn't fit your needs.

s2kneSs no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    To each his own right? I've never had an opportunity to play around with the Storm so later today, in fact within the next 2 hours I'm going to head out to the mall and check out a VZW kiosk and test drive the Storm.

What I have been reading and I'm sure many of you have also (ranx) I too can't wait for the 9520. It will be the Storm to get when I get a Storm if I decide to. I want one simply because of its unique different direction it has taken in comparison to the other Blackberries out there (IE Touch Screen) it will definately be a unique experience for me as a first time user. Once things get going for the Storm, which I firmly believe things should be rolling just about the same time the 9520 is released if not just right after.

I don't think RIM eas trying to go for a "iPhone Killer" when they had the Storm in mind but for a new and unique user experience rather than the traditional touch screen capable phones.

~via Blackberry smartphone~

asktemi no está en línea Stack level 1
    It is good to have all these talks about storm or what have you but the truth is that rim needs to come to a place like this for serious improvment.

The journalist should have gone for a Bold and not a Storm.

I like to see rim come out with a slide out keypad, a stable os and support for realplayer and flash.

~via smartphone~

e-berry no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    Quote Originally Posted by Erievon View Post
    The simple fact is, this post is all relative to DarkScribe. The Storm is clearly not for him, and thus is dissapointing to him. Not every blackberry is a perfect fit for every person, this is why they make multiple models. So when you say "The most dissapointing Blackberry ever" the words "It's not the right phone for me, and I'm dissapointed that I chose the wrong phone" should be substituted. It just didn't work out for you. Sure the phone has it's glitches, but your issues go a little deeper, and the form factor itself seems to be a big issue for you. For example, the orientation issue. If I had to activate orientation every time I turned the darn thing, I'd be pretty upset.

To draw a parallel, I drive an F150. If you live in a large city with lots of very tight places, my truck just won't work for you. You need a small car, or at most a smallish SUV or mini-truck. Does that make the F150 dissapointing? Only to you, because it doesn't fit your needs.

... great post and this is a great response, i totally agree. can't knock the entire line of storms. apparently, the storm is just not for you. atleast you gave it a shot though and now you know for sure.
    --
    More than meets the eye.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast