Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've had mine 30 hours now, and have spent about 14 using it. This will ... BlackBerry Storm forum

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8

Storm Mini Review

Advertisement

I've had mine 30 hours now, and have spent about 14 using it. This will be a general "First Impressions" type of review.

There is a lot to like about this model. Unlike the very buggy Bold(s) I received, this model is a bit more well sorted out. If you are interested in the Storm, the keyword is patience. Something that I have a lot of. Because the input method is so different on this, it will indeed take some time to adjust to. This is not a bad thing, just different. However I can see it leading to a lot of returns, from those who simply have no patience, or desire to learn something new. Perhaps and obviously, the biggest adjustment is how one presses the "keys" and what results when you do. Unlike the iPhone which has Icons which "grow, or expand" as you touch them to confirm your keypress, the Bolds keys light up and it's much harder to see, especially for men like myself that have big hands. The light is not visible as it's under your finger, wherease on the iPhone I see the icon as it expands to reveal itself. That said, I vastly prefer the tactile sensation that is experienced with the Storm, and completely absent from the iPhone.

Phone, the phone call quality seems to be very good, in fact much better than that on any of the four Bold models I had. I like the keyboard for the phone, it's easy to use, and simple. Having made a large number of calls, I find the reception quite good and rate the phone as good as my Curve 8310.

Form factor, this is one very comfortable phone to hold and to use. they really got it right in terms of height, width, and depth. This is very encouraging as the upcoming Curve 8900 is identical and will also be a joy to use. In fact for those of you who prefer a real keyboard the new Curve looks to be a truly great new model.

OS lag. Yes, this does indeed have lag, however given that it is what it is, and will most likely not be improved without one or two more OS updates, I've chosen to simply slow down and wait for it. Not the ultimate, but a great way to cope. The real problem is that this is something that those of us who are skilled enthusiasts can update the OS easily as the new improved versions come out. However for the general public this is not a phone that you can buy and enjoy. A phone that does not require any modifications to get it working properly.

Unfortunately the Storm, like the Bold suffers from what I call, the "Rim Rush To Market Syndrome" pushing phones out into the hands of the consumers before they are truly ready to be used and enjoyed. Phones that in many ways, feel as though they were sold, "In kit form for the do it yourself types." That said, I'm sure RIM will get it right at some point and then the true advantages of this model will shine. It's just a shame that they did not release it ready to go now.

Female_MC no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    24A2C570
    Great post Archer!
    I'm glad you like the Storm thus far. Well I'm sure your keeping your fingers crossed that the Javelin will be ready to go when it launches.

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

smooth10 no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    21CB9337
    Seems that everyone is feeling the same. Do you think this phone will be out on GSM anytime soon[FONT=Calibri]?[/FONT]

Quote Originally Posted by Female_MC View Post
    Great post Archer!
    I'm glad you like the Storm thus far. Well I'm sure your keeping your fingers crossed that the Javelin will be ready to go when it launches.
    (wap.pinstack.com)~
    Yes I agree with you. I hope that RIM returns to the way it use to operate which was to launch a phone that was ready to use and enjoy. Sure, they might have had a very small issues but that was it. Nothing requiring a complete OS replacement, like the Bold and Storm do.

Unfortunately with the Bold and the Storm, the problems require the user to have to install a new OS, something that is a daunting and impossible task for someone who has never used a BlackBerry before. It would be like buying a new car where at the last minute as you're driving away the salesman says, oh... by the way the sound system needs to be reprogrammed before it will work properly. Sorry but you must fix it. And good luck....

Quote Originally Posted by smooth10 View Post
    Seems that everyone is feeling the same. Do you think this phone will be out on GSM anytime soon[FONT=Calibri]?[/FONT]
    The GSM Storm is already out, and being sold by Vodafone in the UK. It's only a matter of time before RIM releases it to AT&T.

luciferseamus no está en línea Device Pro
    thanks archer!
    good post and very good read!

I am wondering though are you going to keep your storm? I know your' not really to into touchscreen devices, so I figure that it's good enough for you to keep it must be pretty decent.

thanks again for your input!
    "If you ever lose your keys in a river of molten lava, let 'em go, cus' man, they're gone!!"-Jack Handey

catstide no está en línea Stack Professional
    PIN/ID
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
    Unfortunately with the Bold and the Storm, the problems require the user to have to install a new OS, something that is a daunting and impossible task for someone who has never used a BlackBerry before. .
    does the wireless upgrade not work?
    lighten up...life's too short

my favorite cydia apps and hacks

Quote Originally Posted by luciferseamus View Post
    thanks archer!
    good post and very good read!

I am wondering though are you going to keep your storm? I know your' not really to into touchscreen devices, so I figure that it's good enough for you to keep it must be pretty decent.

thanks again for your input!
    I rarely sell any of my BlackBerrys unless they are just plain bad like the first three Bolds I got. Then you'll notice that I still did not give up. I simply waited about three weeks, bought another from AT&T and this ones a good one. The way it should be. However that said, it still has to many cons for me to use as my main BB. The worst feature of the new Bold is the silver divider bars that run horizontally across the keyboard separating the rows of keys. They prevent a full keystroke unless you have thin fingers or can live with that type of keyboard.

As far as the Storm, yes I will keep it as it's a novelty. A contrast to what one might expect. My prediction as always, based on my personal experience and RIM's track record, is that the second generation Storm will be very good. They will take everyting they've learned from this and apply it to the next one. I cannot and will not suggest this to anyone who would use it as their only phone. Unless of course it doesnt matter if they can easily handle email and texts. As a "play phone" it's ok.

Finally I still maintain that the upcoming Curve 8900 should be the best of the "new BB's" and the one to have will be the second gen of the 8900 as it will have 3G, and will have all the bugs worked out for sure. Think 8300 vs 8310/8320 = greatly improved. Well history will repeat itself and the 8900 turned 89xx will be the one to have. Now THAT one will be my new primary BlackBerry.

Right now when people ask I always suggest the 83xx. Cannot be beat, offered at a really good price, and the last of the great models to date. In fact this is the reason I just went to AT&T a few days aqo and bought another new one, to have as a spare. That way if rim is horribly late on the 89xx launch and something should happen to my 83xx I will have one fresh. Because as soon at the 8900 is launched which is very soon, the tried and true 83xx will be gone forever... sad but true. So get yours now if you want one. AT&T has them on sale for a very low $79.99.

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    does the wireless upgrade not work?
    Out of the box, the wireless is DOA, not only on mine but three of my friends went with me the morning the store opened and we all got the Storm. None of theirs worked either. As I say, it's no big deal for us as we can easily do whatever it takes to fix it.

A perfect example is my dentist, he bought one, and it did not work. So he goes back and they give him another, and that one does not work. By now he's had it and tells them to take the phone back and he's done. This is very discouraging for me especially as I speak very highly of BlackBerrys to everyone I network with, or do business with, or just friends.

So what does my dentist do? He stops at the Apple Store, buys a 3G iPhone, get's it activated on the spot and it works perfectly.

RIM is losing it's grip on what's important. I am the most enthusiastic RIM supporter of all, and yet they are losing it. I won't even go into the problems that people I know have had with their Bolds. You've seen my posts... I got three bad ones in a row! But I still do not give up.. I buy a fourth and this one finally works as it should. But what "normal" customer is going to go through that?

Let's get with the program RIM, get back to building good phones that have a reputation for reliability, and usefulness.

Cheers...

PIN/ID
    wut?
    i'm glad i'm not a pro like you because the novice in me absolutely loves it. i haven't heard of as many problems as you and your friends have had.maybe your store just got a bad bunch. maybe their fedex truck ran through some radioactive waste somewhere or something.

calm_tiger no está en línea Stack level 5
    I've had mine 30 hours now, and have spent about 14 using it. This will be a general "First Impressions" type of review.

There is a lot to like about this model. Unlike the very buggy Bold(s) I received, this model is a bit more well sorted out. If you are interested in the Storm, the keyword is patience. Something that I have a lot of. Because the input method is so different on this, it will indeed take some time to adjust to. This is not a bad thing, just different. However I can see it leading to a lot of returns, from those who simply have no patience, or desire to learn something new. Perhaps and obviously, the biggest adjustment is how one presses the "keys" and what results when you do. Unlike the iPhone which has Icons which "grow, or expand" as you touch them to confirm your keypress, the Bolds keys light up and it's much harder to see, especially for men like myself that have big hands. The light is not visible as it's under your finger, wherease on the iPhone I see the icon as it expands to reveal itself. That said, I vastly prefer the tactile sensation that is experienced with the Storm, and completely absent from the iPhone.

Phone, the phone call quality seems to be very good, in fact much better than that on any of the four Bold models I had. I like the keyboard for the phone, it's easy to use, and simple. Having made a large number of calls, I find the reception quite good and rate the phone as good as my Curve 8310.

Form factor, this is one very comfortable phone to hold and to use. they really got it right in terms of height, width, and depth. This is very encouraging as the upcoming Curve 8900 is identical and will also be a joy to use. In fact for those of you who prefer a real keyboard the new Curve looks to be a truly great new model.

OS lag. Yes, this does indeed have lag, however given that it is what it is, and will most likely not be improved without one or two more OS updates, I've chosen to simply slow down and wait for it. Not the ultimate, but a great way to cope. The real problem is that this is something that those of us who are skilled enthusiasts can update the OS easily as the new improved versions come out. However for the general public this is not a phone that you can buy and enjoy. A phone that does not require any modifications to get it working properly.

Unfortunately the Storm, like the Bold suffers from what I call, the "Rim Rush To Market Syndrome" pushing phones out into the hands of the consumers before they are truly ready to be used and enjoyed. Phones that in many ways, feel as though they were sold, "In kit form for the do it yourself types." That said, I'm sure RIM will get it right at some point and then the true advantages of this model will shine. It's just a shame that they did not release it ready to go now.
    I definately agree with the "Rim Rush To Market Syndrome" statement that you made. I think the storm has the potential to be a great phone. I also agree that it is something "new" and will require a little patience. I had to wait in line at a local verizon today to just play with the floor model. The OS is painstakingly slooooooow.
    Last edited by calm_tiger; 11-22-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catstide View Post
    i'm glad i'm not a pro like you because the novice in me absolutely loves it. i haven't heard of as many problems as you and your friends have had.maybe your store just got a bad bunch. maybe their fedex truck ran through some radioactive waste somewhere or something.
    It's not that I'm a pro. I have much to learn yet, however I do report fairly and I do have the knowledge and skill to know when there is a problem that should not be pushed out to the public.

I attribute it to early devices. With certainty, these are the first of the Storms to be shipped and they were simply pushed out before they were ready. I'm confident of this because I've purchased absolutely every new BlackBerry model from T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon, (my three carriers) for the last three years. And not one of those required an OS update to work. Every one of those new BlackBerrys worked very well. Every single one.

Did they have squeaky battery doors, yes. Did they have loose side rails, yes, and yet so what? None of that affected performance, or usability. All of it was easily dealt with and no one returned the phone because it did not work.

Do you see my concern with this new trend? Put yourself in my position and that of those that are also BlackBerry lovers and not trashing the phone, just simply wanting to buy and enjoy one. I submit to you that if you found yourself with a phone that did'nt work properly and you were a mainstream user, you would take it back. That's whats happening and it's not a good thing.

Make sense?

I would enjoy hearing your response to this. You are an experienced, respected, member of this community and I would truly enjoy hearing your take on it. Believe me I'm not being an alarmist, or overreacting. I'm simply reporting. Tell me what you think.

Cheers...

groovdafied no está en línea Stack level 2
    Quote Originally Posted by calm_tiger View Post
    I definately agree with the "Rim Rush To Market Syndrome" statement that you made. I think the storm has the potential to be a great phone. I also agree that it is something "new" and will require a little patience. I had to wait in line at a local verizon today to just play with the floor model. The OS is painstakingly slooooooow.
    I thought the same too about the OS being slow, cause when i played back a video (which was awesome) and tried to stop and do soemthing else. The video froze the UI and all I had was a black screen with loud audio. After that the UI came up after a while and I got back at testing it out.

I also think it's because the floor model had soo many apps opened at the same time that none of the apps were closed properly. I don't expect the demo model to be 100% because people are going to toy with it and totally mess it up. Like when I saw videos about the touch screen, people seem to be pressing without effort, however I had to use total effort just to get the screen to click.

I'm planning on purchasing the model in February, and I'm totally hoping that RIM will release fixes, updates and new software features. Even if they don't, it wont stop me from buying it, cause i still like it. Ever since I had my Orb account streaming to it, I immediately fell in love... *HEART*

PIN/ID
    wut?
    It's not that I'm a pro. I have much to learn yet, however I do report fairly and I do have the knowledge and skill to know when there is a problem that should not be pushed out to the public.

I attribute it to early devices. With certainty, these are the first of the Storms to be shipped and they were simply pushed out before they were ready. I'm confident of this because I've purchased absolutely every new BlackBerry model from T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon, (my three carriers) for the last three years. And not one of those required an OS update to work. Every one of those new BlackBerrys worked very well. Every single one.

Did they have squeaky battery doors, yes. Did they have loose side rails, yes, and yet so what? None of that affected performance, or usability. All of it was easily dealt with and no one returned the phone because it did not work.

Do you see my concern with this new trend? Put yourself in my position and that of those that are also BlackBerry lovers and not trashing the phone, just simply wanting to buy and enjoy one. I submit to you that if you found yourself with a phone that did'nt work properly and you were a mainstream user, you would take it back. That's whats happening and it's not a good thing.

Make sense?

I would enjoy hearing your response to this. You are an experienced, respected, member of this community and I would truly enjoy hearing your take on it. Believe me I'm not being an alarmist, or overreacting. I'm simply reporting. Tell me what you think.

Cheers...
    you are definitely a pro in my book with your knowledge of rim.

i would definitely return a phone if it didn't work. i agree with putting a device out that will not give consumers problems right off the bat. maybe i'm lucky but mine does work. could it be a little faster,sure but that is about the only thing i can find wrong(if you can call that wrong) with mine. i would also be willing to bet that rim is a little hot because the phone couldn't be released with the most current os. i'm thinking verizon pulled the plug on the new os because of some issue so i'm not blaming verizon either. all i'm saying is i got a good working phone and am very happy with it.if i'm in the minority then yes there is a problem.if i am in the majority then i would just say it's just a little bump in the road that rim and verizon will learn from. i am very excited that rim is working hard on an os upgrade to push out to us as soon as possible. would i be happy if rim never upgraded the os?...no. if i didn't have a little blackberry knowledge and really didn't know what an os was,would i be happy if rim never released an os upgrade?...yes.that is because the phone i have is working well for me. the avid (although fairly new) blackberry mentality i have tells me that this phone can be alot better. if i were an average or new blackberry user i would be happy with it just like it is. i know i was rambling and probably didn't make alot of sense ....but any way,there you have it.

nickjoedotcom no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    30C1D19D
    Haha. Nice RIM Rush To Market Syndrome (RRTMS). I definitely noticed a little slag with the store model. But this was largely due to how many applications were running. Once I got those closed it seemed kind of fast. I noticed that the phone is quite bloated with applications you may or may not want. Deleting those may increase the speed, but I agree that the OS could use a few good tweaks. I also agree that for the more experienced user this phone will be a lot more enjoyable.

Anyhoo congrats on the new Storm!

~via BB (wap.pinstack.com)~

Sam123gil no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    A.S.K.
    This is my first touch screen and I must say it's a great phone. Yes it is a little sluggish and I must take my time when texting. That's still no reason to return a phone.
    ~©®ĺ©kßë®®Ą~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast