Look I know many of you out there love a fun toy like the Storm ... BlackBerry Storm forum

stevemj no está en línea Stack level 1

Thumbs down Storm is a waste Verizon needs the bold

Advertisement

Look I know many of you out there love a fun toy like the Storm so go ahead and watch YouTube have fun. But for those of us who use the Blackberry for Business it’s a disaster. It is dramatically more difficult and slower to perform ordinary task like "making a call" "replying to and email" or looking up a contact. I purchased the Storm and kept it for a few days to give it a fair evaluation before returning it. Without exception every task was just to dame slow. The Blackberry OS was designed with a wheel or trackball in mind and the touch screen is a toy for geeks. I need a fast competent Smartphone. The multimedia is nice but I need the fundamentals to work perfectly. Verizon is so worried about the iPhone they forgot to pay attention to their customers. They have failed to open their network to other devices as promised in early 2008 and have consistently let down their customers by only offering the bottom of the barrel devices. They are continuing to remove features from phones that are available from other providers, claiming “security risk” when no one else reports problems. Verizon listen to the market and not your own echo chamber inside Verizon. Give your customers what they want. Maybe the Bold with a full set of open features Wi-Fi, GPS, and Open Bluetooth. You are fooling yourself if you think you will always be able to keep customers with you superior coverage alone. LTE is on the horizon and the other networks are getting better even ATT. I am hopeful someone at Verizon who matters monitors this forum and will consider my thoughts, although I’m not hopeful. I think at Verizon they just listen to themselves and think “ya our customers want an iPhone but not from Apple, ya that’s the ticket”
    Last edited by stevemj; 12-31-2008 at 12:18 PM.

VR
    VR no está en línea Stack level 3
    no, verizon needs the 8930
    My blackberry is anti-Obama Bin Llama

williamsj83 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    305845BF

STORM works fine for me.

I am a business user who left my curve 8330 for a storm. and i havent had any of the programs that i see people complaining about. it took me about a week to get use to typing on the storm because it is a different experience, but as a person that pumps in about 115 emails daily as my institution is global i am able to keep up using the storm as i could with my curve and not miss a beat. there are a couple of bugs but i know they will be worked out in time. i think verizon and RIM should have waited to fix the problems instead of trying to release before the holidays, its not the quality that you associate with verizon a company that will test a phone 100 years before releasing it. (not really a 100 years but it seems like it when you really want the phone). With that being said im happy that i have the storm and i tested the Omnia side by side with it which is not for a person with big fingers and that cant stand windows mobile.

dean0uga no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think this is an outrageous claim... First off, just because you took a short evaluation period to try this device does not mean it is simply for "geeks". Not too long ago the concept of a phone that would even email was a daunting task. I, myself, use this device for my business practices and have no problem with it. I also send about 2k text messages a month, so I know that the transition is somewhat difficult - especially considering I went from t9word where 1 was abc etc, so all the keys are rearranged. Secondly, theres no way you can say that this device is not business friendly; it has built in capabilities to open word, excel, powerpoint documents. What exactly does the bold provide that the storm doesnt? The only reason I can figure you would feel this way is because youre so stuck on the "trackwheel" which I never really liked the idea of to begin with and the "touch" screen works much better than having to move around a ball. Sure there were some bugs in the early development of the storm, but so what? The bold had problems? The iphone had problems? Nobody says this is the answer to the iphone, but considering the fact that none of us LIKE the iphone, we arent looking for an iphone, were looking for a BLACKBERRY that is very unique, provides enhanced multimedia, as well as isnt an eye sore and thats just what it is! How is it difficult to make a call? because pressing the send button is so difficult? Not sure this has changed in the storm... and to reply to an email all you do is press the REPLY button, OR you can use the keyboard shortcut... I do not understand!

woodi68 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    woodi68
    I agree with deanOuga, this is outrageous! The Storm is an amazing and VERY DIFFERENT BlackBerry. Mine works like a charm. And it does take several days to get used to, but I've never been considered "old school".

The folks who dislike the Storm had bad experiences because of intolerance for change. The Bold isn't really a change, it's just more of the same. That's not to say it's not "better" than what came out before it because it certainly is, but it's not different dramatically. The Storm is a game changer, not more of the same. I certainly wouldn't say everyone should get it, afterall, I know some of you old school folks just can't handle the possibility that something might change SO much.

stevemj no está en línea Stack level 1
    Your just unwilling to face the fact that the Storm does not work well and you want something new, a toy to play with. I have had several long time BB users do the same comparison and the results are the same Storm = slower and more difficult the the standard BB form factor. You don't want to admit it. "The Emperor has no cloths" and the Storm is not the answer. I believe the market place decided the BB form factor is the best and all of the imitators are proof. The number of qwerty keyboard phones is growing and the decider of this argument is not us but the market.

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    Hmm.. well Storm has Qwerty and Suretype... the claim of "the number of Qwerty keyboard phones is growing" means what exactly, in relation to your argument?

xaroc no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30544A9E
    Even if the Bold is released for Verizon, your going to have the same issues anyways
    when phones are first released, they require tweaking to achieve perfection, the storm is no different.
    Give it time, and just like the history of the Bold.
    Lots of people complained about the Bold, now the OS is Awesome, i dont see those people complaining to much anymore
    Storm is no different, give it another 2-3 months to hit its peak of performance

dean0uga no está en línea Stack level 3
    yes, I am unwilling, just as unwilling as you are to actually put forth the effort to go against the grain and try something out without the stigma - for more than a week. I will admit at first it was difficult and slower to use, but I do not have a problem at all anymore. Its a learning cure. Everyone loves to hate something, so stick with the old scroll wheel feature and try and do something more productive rather than starting up a virtual arguement that has already been beaten to death

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    At the end of the day, the Storm is an exciting new BlackBerry!

New technology, new input method in SurePress, and an incredible device from which RIM will continue to improve and build on.

I see nothing but good in this new model, and I predict the test of time will prove this to be a cornerstone of achievement, in the touch screen sector of the smartphone market.

Cheers...

Hack173 no está en línea banned
    PIN/ID
    249E4D70
    Verizon does need the Bold.

But like Archer6 said "At the end of the day, the Storm is an exciting new BlackBerry!"

~via BB Bold (wap.pinstack.com)~

bbslice no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2437ACFE
    wow. this guys got some issues, you hold such a strong stance yet only used the handset for a very short time. have you expierenced .85 yet? it does alot of justice to the storm, I have had mine for a little over a month now and i loved it from day 1.
    i'm addicted.

mserica513 no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    OOPS!
    I played with the storm for about 30 mins in a verizon store. Its not for me, I'm not into touch phones but I was hoping I would feel different since this was a blackberry. It just doesnt do it for me.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Insert catchy phrase here..

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by dean0uga View Post
    yes, I am unwilling, just as unwilling as you are to actually put forth the effort to go against the grain and try something out without the stigma - for more than a week. I will admit at first it was difficult and slower to use, but I do not have a problem at all anymore. Its a learning cure. Everyone loves to hate something, so stick with the old scroll wheel feature and try and do something more productive rather than starting up a virtual arguement that has already been beaten to death
    Nice.