Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hey everyone... Now that the Storm has been out for a little while, I was ... BlackBerry Storm forum

CrunchDude no está en línea Stack level 3

So how are you guys liking your Storm 9500/9530!??!?? ;)

Advertisement

Hey everyone...

Now that the Storm has been out for a little while, I was wondering how you like it. I decided too get one when I go overseas in a couple of weeks. Vodafone has it discounted pretty well!

I won't give up my Bold, but I'd like to have both.

Does the 9500 (not the 9530) have ALL three HSDPA bands, by the way? (850/1900/2100MHz)??

This should be interesting. Please also detail your vote/answer as to why you either DO like it, or you do NOT...

Take care everyone.
    It's all about the Berry! BlackBerry Bold 9000 OS 5.0.0.314 w/ BBM 5.0.0.33...works like a final build| ...awaiting release of BlackBerry Bold 9700 w/ HSPA 7.2! :D

nyyanksfan no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    3048AFE9
    I have never used a Bold as of yet and both myself and my wife have Storms. Just being honest the best way to describe both of our feelings towards the device is a "Love Hate Relationship".

I love the phone and the potential it has, but at the same time using it has been frustrating. I have had the phone reset during phone calls 3 times and the accelerometer is at the point that I wish you had to press a button for it to go in portrait or landscape modes because it seems to have a mind of its own.

My wife's phone has been getting sim card errors and becomes unresponsive needing several battery pulls to fix it a day...however we did a master reset yesterday afternoon and so far so good.

Its been said over and over that an update will be available soon to fix all the bugs and if thats so, I vote yes get one! But I would wait to see if this is so before getting one especially since you already have a Bold IMHO.
    Last edited by nyyanksfan; 12-03-2008 at 09:01 AM.

shmengie no está en línea Stack level 4
    i'm the i.t. guy at my work, responsible for the blackberries. we got in our first storm yesterday, and it was my first hands-on, while setting it up. keep in mind, i'm one of the guys who's like, "when is the storm gonna come to t-mo, so i can have one?" well, now that i've gotten my hands on one, i kinda hate it. besides all the bugginess and unfamiliarness, the typing is fairly sucky, as is selecting (just trying to set the date and time (pre-activation) was enough to make me wanna through it out a window). really, i found typing a total chore.

i'm sure, given enough time (and firmware updates!), i'd get used to these little quirks. but my initial impression? 6 outta 10. i think rim sacrificed a lot of functionality for flash.
    2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2.
    - Grabel's Law

ronx162 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    304BCB8B
    there is a little bit of a learning curve to the Storm. i switched from a Pearl and have really grown to love the Storm. there are a few settings that should be changed, and most folks (myself included) have found that the "paper trick" is a mandatory (easy) modification to make typing on the Storm much more accurate and pleasing.

After almost a week with my Storm, my typing speed and accuracy have greatly improved -- it's everything you could hope for in a virtual keyboard, IMHO. If you do a tremendous amount of typing (long emails, doc editing, etc), you will probably want to stick with your bold. Short emails, texts, IM'ing, and similar tasks are a pleasure with the Storm though. Multimedia and web browsing are unparalleled!

Most of the quirks have already been fixed with the leaked .75 OS, and the remaining issues should be able to be ironed out in future software releases. I'm already very happy with the Storm and look forward to future improvements and application support.

Rob

JoshSeawell no está en línea Stack level 4
    PIN/ID
    ASK
    I've been using the Storm for a little over a week and I am really liking it. At first the device was really sluggish, mainly when rotating screens and opening programs. Monday I got the new 4.7.0.75 OS and I can already see a big improvement in the device. The web browsing speed is great, I don't get a full 3G signal at my house but the speed is still really fast. The typing was the thing that I was kind of worried about but I can type pretty well on it now. Not quite as fast as a physical qwerty keyboard but it's a decent speed. I have noticed on the landscape keyboard that there is a slight split in the middle of the keyboard.

If I keep my left thumb to the left and my right thumb to the right I seem to not make any mistakes. But if I try to hit a "M" or "P" with my left thumb then I would more than likely hit a "N" or "O". This might just be me and the way I type but as long as I follow that then I type fine.

The camera is great, 3.2mp AutoFocus. I have taken some pretty good pictures so far. (The flash is the brightest flash I've seen on a phone.) The speaker is very loud when listening to music or watching a movie. The media player is fast and easy to use.

There is still room for improvement but overall I am pretty pleased with the phone and I look forward to future updates.
    -Josh

jdow2405 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    30FE9E83
    wow like i said in a relpy yesterday to "just got back from the verizon store" i have had no problems or maybe not noticing them.hmmmm.i must just be crazy, but love my phone.
    MrS.OfFiCeR

goldengirl75 no está en línea Stack level 5
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshSeawell View Post
    I've been using the Storm for a little over a week and I am really liking it. At first the device was really sluggish, mainly when rotating screens and opening programs. Monday I got the new 4.7.0.75 OS and I can already see a big improvement in the device. The web browsing speed is great, I don't get a full 3G signal at my house but the speed is still really fast. The typing was the thing that I was kind of worried about but I can type pretty well on it now. Not quite as fast as a physical qwerty keyboard but it's a decent speed. I have noticed on the landscape keyboard that there is a slight split in the middle of the keyboard.

If I keep my left thumb to the left and my right thumb to the right I seem to not make any mistakes. But if I try to hit a "M" or "P" with my left thumb then I would more than likely hit a "N" or "O". This might just be me and the way I type but as long as I follow that then I type fine.

The camera is great, 3.2mp AutoFocus. I have taken some pretty good pictures so far. (The flash is the brightest flash I've seen on a phone.) The speaker is very loud when listening to music or watching a movie. The media player is fast and easy to use.

There is still room for improvement but overall I am pretty pleased with the phone and I look forward to future updates.

I agree with the slow typing on this phone. I've been having to highlight the letter before I press it and sometimes, I have to go a little off center to make sure I get the correct letter the first time. I'm much faster than I was when I first started using it!

I too went from a Pearl to a LG Dare and now this phone and I won't be changing this phone any time soon. Hopefully, an official OS will be released soon so I can try that out and see any changes.

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    It does take a little getting used to the typing and all the extras, but I love it! I have already retired my Curve to be my data modem.

PIN/ID
    AskMe
    I should be getting mine tomorrow ... i cannot wait !!

archer6 no está en línea Stack level 8
    I've had my Storm since the very day they were released. Overall setting aside the issues most of us are already aware of, it's not bad. But it's not excellent either. There are several areas of concern. One is the build quality of the handset. The display screen on the first one I had was loose, luckily I spotted it immediately and returned it to the store, where the manager was very courteous, and handed me a new one, without question. The second one was also loose, but within acceptable range for a first generation phone. We all know about the serious OS issues, so because I have other BB's I've simply put mine aside until the update becomes available.

Can I endorse this phone... no. Will I be able to in the future, yes, just wait for the 2nd generation, and it should be a very good phone if you are a touch screen lover. Also it's important to note that even with a speedy OS, a touchscreen phone is worthless to those who like to do things quickly. This is a phone that slow movers would like. I bought mine to play with and for occasional use. I use a BlackBerry for a lots of email and sms messaging, so I need a keyboard. It's a great toy, somewhat like the iPhone. So if you do not have any need for fast input, or any calendar or task work, you will like it.

Cheers

IronHorse no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    32B3213C
    All in all I like the phone and its function. I am getting used to the touch screen, and have become quiet proficient at typing, however the battery life is so bad, that I have seriously considered returning it

Jbee no está en línea Stack level 5
    PIN/ID
    3047D925
    Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    I figured that out...your avatar looks eager. -lol!

Quote Originally Posted by IronHorse View Post
    All in all I like the phone and its function. I am getting used to the touch screen, and have become quiet proficient at typing, however the battery life is so bad, that I have seriously considered returning it
    I do agree that the typing experience is far better than my iPhone 3G for example, and I'm quite adaptable. What this phone does do very well, is to illustrate how great it is to be a BlackBerry owner with a lot of choices when it comes to the size, form factor, and type of phone we each prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by ranxoren View Post
    Yikes!... it's about time...

bglawrence no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    2746CB17
    quick mention on the sim car errors. You will get sim card rejected errors since Verizon uses CDMA not GSM (unless you are traveling internationally). IN ordert oactivate the SIm card to avoid getting that message you must contact Verizon and ask for the world feature which will cost more money. If you use in USA only, go to options > Mobile Network > Network Technology 1XEV. Do not select Global which looks for your sim card (which is not active unless you pay for it) Turn phone off and on. That will take care of all SIM CARD REJECTED messages on your home screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast