Hoping my fellow Stackers can help me with this one - its a two-parter, so ... BlackBerry Storm forum

wanska13 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30595C68

Screen freezing and warranty question...

Advertisement

Hoping my fellow Stackers can help me with this one - its a two-parter, so here goes:

My screen has suddenly started freezing up. It will either do this when the screen is already black - or it will freeze up in the middle of a process (the last time I was in the middle of moving an icon and it froze when I hit the menu button). The BB itself is not freezing, because I can still receive calls and the keys/touch screen lights up when I activate it, the screen will just not kick on all the way. A battery pull will fix the problem temporarily, but it eventually happens again a couple hours later. Don't know if its something in the OS (I've been running .109 almost since I got it about a month ago and have had no problems with it) or if its just a defective Berry. Anyone else had this problem?

Which leads me to my second question - since I'm running an unauthorized OS and not the .75 it came with, will I need to revert back to .75 if I want to take this back to Verizon? I don't want them coming back and saying I voided my warranty/insurance because I'm running an OS that they didn't officially put out. I'm assuming yes, I just want to be sure before I actually go through the trouble of doing it.

Thanks in advance for your help!

dgburns no está en línea Stack level 3
    I think you need to examine all the apps you have installed as it sounds like you have a pretty serious memory leak. I ran .109 far weeks and never had such a problem.

As to your second question, when my first Storm went bad (coffee under screen) I didn't flash it back to .75 or anything. It was running a .9x something. But your mileage may vary. I am sure they would flash it to official software and hand it back to you and say "there you go, all fixed" but you might get lucky. Sorta depends on how wed to your PIN you are if you pursue. But I think finding the leaky app (wipe to .113 and only add apps back 1 at a time) is going to find the problem.
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

rxmaker1 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    Request
    I agree with dgburns. Prior to doing the wipe and reinstall look into the apps. Go into your event log and try to find out what is failing. I like to keep things simple at first.and if a corrupted app or memory leak is the problem then that will be an easy and much less time consuming fix.
    Regards
    ~via smartphone mobile.pinstack.com~

wanska13 no está en línea Stack level 2
    PIN/ID
    30595C68
    So, I went to the Verizon cart where I bought the phone. The guy there told me that this was a "known issue" and the salesperson should have told me about it when I bought the phone. (I knew the phone was buggy - I did not know that it could conceivably be just a black screen in little over a month). He said Verizon told them the magical update that's supposed to be coming out would fix this issue and many others with the Storm. Doesn't know when it would be out, but everyone who tested it gave it a thumbs up and it's in for official approval (his words).

Should I try to install .113 or .122 and see if those fix the issue, or would I be best served at this point just to wait for the official update from Verizon and go from there?

caboose06 no está en línea Stack level 3
    PIN/ID
    GoGrEEn!
    i would try everything and do what ever it took to get my BB up and running. imo you should definitley try the OS's you mentioned to see if that fixes your problem, then when the official OS comes out you can just update then.